Chairman accepting offers

This is my first post.

Isn't there any way to cancel an offer your chairman accepts? I'm currently on 2nd season with Arsenal and my chairman accepted an offer for £20m + 40% of next sale for Carlos Vela. I really want him to stay even though some may argue this offer is too good to turn down anyway.

Thanks

This is my first post.

Isn't there any way to cancel an offer your chairman accepts? I'm currently on 2nd season with Arsenal and my chairman accepted an offer for £20m + 40% of next sale for Carlos Vela. I really want him to stay even though some may argue this offer is too good to turn down anyway.

Thanks

Look to your left and you will see that it's not your first post..................it is your 12th! ;)

And to the best of my knowledge there isn't anything you can do to cancel a bid your chairman has accepted, or to stop your chairman from accepting bids for your players. It's just something you have got to live with.

The only thing you can do is offer him a contract and hope he agrees to stay, otherwise theres nothing you can do.

Thanks. I think thats the best option tbh. Although the offer is tempting... Oh well

@ Tom

I've been here so long and never contributed that I forgot about my posts.

thanks anyway

As others have said, all you can do offer a contract and pray. I like this feature it gets me really po'd with my chairman and I think most managers have probably experienced this IRL, it just isn't publicised because some teams are smart enough not to undermine the perceived authority of the manager.

this feature should be improved in FM09, in the sense that before accepting the offer, the chairman should talk to you (the manager) and say "listen, this offer is too good to refuse" and you should be able to try and talk him out of it or else convince him to try and get more money from the transfer or tell him that the player is indispensable etc...

Yeah I agree I think that this is pretty realistic as I suspect this happens in real life. Althou in terms of a managers life it sucks as it makes it harder to keep good players.

Exactly. I think this happens at every football club, just we don't hear about it because some managers and chairmen aren't stupid enough to tell everyone about it and undermine their manager in public.

Yeah I got that when I was with Man City. Elano was worth 10 million pounds then Sunderland and Birmingham bid 14 million pounds. And the chairman Thaksin Shinawatra (sp)Who I thought had loads of money. (I mean we definatly weren't going bankrupt at all) And takes over and says that the offer was too good to refuse. When AC Milan were interested and probably line-up a 20million+ offer for him.

Rant over

this feature should be improved in FM09, in the sense that before accepting the offer, the chairman should talk to you (the manager) and say "listen, this offer is too good to refuse" and you should be able to try and talk him out of it or else convince him to try and get more money from the transfer or tell him that the player is indispensable etc...

I agree entirely with you. I think the manager, especially if he's been there a while, should be consulted before the chairman goes over your head. I am sure the likes of Wenger and Fergie get consulted before their chairmen do anything. Currently the only way to stop this from happening would be to alter your chairmans stats to reduce the frequency that he does these things. Unfortunatelty you'd have to either start a new game for this to be effective or use something like FMM.

In my experience quite often the 'too good to refuse' offes come after I have replied to enquiry or negotiated the offer. I found that if I put 50% sell-on clause then every time they come back with whatever 'too good to refuse' offer they keep the 50% sell-on clause. I have recieved lot of money later on in the game because of this.

Is this feature dependant on the characteristic of the chairman?Maybe a hidden stat or something?Does the manager reputation affect the chairman going behind your back?I don't like this feature tbh.Should only be applicable for certain types of chairman like Frank Sinatra and Ambramovich not Arsenals chairman.If anyone can shed any light on any of this would be appreciated provided I'm making sense!

I think this should be linked to how successful the manager is, and what reputation the manager has.

For example, there is no way that Man United of Arsenal's chairmen would accept an offer over Fergie or Wenger's head, it just wouldn't happen. This should be what happens when you're successful enough at one club.

Yer deffo agree with the comment above Fergie red nose and/or cheeks or Wenger would never got undermined I think that would be ideal imo.They shouldnt take this feauture out just the circumstances have to permit this to happen.Like poor finanaces,manager rep,chairman hidden stats the Arsenal chairman deffo wouldnt do this irl.

As Leeds, I signed Abdesselam Benjelloun.. spelling maybe a bit off there... but he scored something like 11 in 15 games, had 9 months out due to cruciate knee ligament injury, offer comes in for £750k... chairman accepts... Low point in my career.

The other way of stopping this is to offer your player for free to all clubs, and hopefully he'll accept somone else's offer. When he does, you cancel the deal at the last minute.

Bit outside the spirit of the game, but then so's the chairman accepting offers way below what they should.

I have found that one of the first things you do when taking over a team is set your own values on players. Playing as Monaco, the chairman would routinely sell him for £7-8m which would drive me mad. So I started placing extremely high values and even selecting things like 'accept offers of _______ or more' -- Menez wasn't sold and the next season Man Utd came in with a large bid (around 20m iirc) and I sold him (also had a % of next sale clause which was brilliant as Lyon bought him from Man Utd the following season).

What's the squad status of young Carlito at your game? If he's a hot prospect, it's obvious that the chairman would want you to sell him for a certain price, but if he was at "First Team" status, then I reckon the chairman wouldn't sell without your opinion.

Did you negotiated with the team that tried to buy him?

One other thing you can do if the player isn't interested in your better contract is to immediately put the player up for sale for a more realistic amount (slightly more or much more than the 'accepted' offer) and let all the other managers know. If he is any good you then stand a chance of getting a bit more - and always insert a sell-on clause too.

Archived