Free kicks

This has been mentioned before. So, it is a very even Euro Cup game, I am playing with Salzburg against Sevilla. It's 1:0, I have dominated for the whole game (eerm, wtf, Salzburg dominating over Sevilla in 2007, my only signing has been Guilherme...), but in last few minutes Sevilla went 4-2-4, of course. I am defending bravely. And finally I have a great chance to counter-attack, but Guilherme is fouled few meters from penalty area. So, a very dangerous free kick. If I score now, I've won this game for sure. Guilherme with his free kick attribute 19 steps up... and lays it to defender Sekagya, long shot attribute 3. Wide. I am sure he hit few fans that were in row Z. In future I will give helmets for the fans that are standing behind the goal. I still managed to win this game, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

We could choose a player that will be a free kick taker and one more who will stand next to him. If free kick taker wants to lay the ball to the other player, let him do it, but choose a player that wouldn't kill few birds in the sky with his long shot.

Sounds like Guilherme wanted Sekagya to take it into the corner or something to waste half a minute or so. But yes, this is a bit annoying sometimes.

I've begun to find that free kicks doesn't make that much difference to how often my players score from direct free kicks. Finishing and technique seem to do more for me. Also 'curls ball' PPM, especially.

This is one of the most frustrating aspects of set peices - the amount of times i've ended up with my Free kick taker teeing up John Terry is sooo frustrating.

What's particularly annoying is that even if you have no players set to "beside kicker" (or whatever the options called) there is still a player there quite often - it needs sorting.

This irritates the hell out of me too. However, when I made a similar post someone suggested that it's because the free kick is indirect. Check the match report - maybe your striker was obstructed, in which case it's indirect and he has to pass.

Of course, IRL the defender would pass to HIM to have a pop, but there you go!

Something similar has happened to me.

Currently in 2022/23 season with Real Madrid. All my players are newgens now. Playing away to Valencia, score is 2-1 to the home team.

My worldwide reputation right winger (from Paraguay) who normally takes my free kicks and scores quite often (10-15 goals a season), takes a free kick in a promising area, hits one of his own players, the ball breaks to a Valencia player, who lobs my keeper and scores "an audacious lob from 85 yards" to make it 3-1. We go on to lose 4-1 and the board are unhappy.

Sigh...

Do you guys often get freekicks in, without the ball touching anyone? I have had only a few clean cut amazing freekicks the rest just off the wall and in. I liked the freekicks in FM07 but I cant seem to get good ones. Is there any settings you can do or just a bug?

agree this happens all the time.

scoring 40 from corners but 2 from freekicks doesnt reflect real fossball haha

very often freekick layer pass it to an centreback or fullback and he does nothing with it.

ai teams much more often gets a good shoot away wich often at least get close to goal or force keeper to tip it over for corners.

my2c

I just completed an MLS season with Beckham taking my free kicks, against MLS's middling GK's, and scored 0 goals from DFK's.

I do often note him taking direct free kicks in promising areas, and either teeing it sideways for somebody else, or playing it back to the back line - from shooting distance!

One last observation - I've seen highlights where a foul was given essentially on the penalty arc .. a yellow card to the defender .. end of highlight, because the game knows that the DFK isn't going close enough to the goal to be worth an Extended Highlight.

I just completed an MLS season with Beckham taking my free kicks, against MLS's middling GK's, and scored 0 goals from DFK's.

I do often note him taking direct free kicks in promising areas, and either teeing it sideways for somebody else, or playing it back to the back line - from shooting distance!

One last observation - I've seen highlights where a foul was given essentially on the penalty arc .. a yellow card to the defender .. end of highlight, because the game knows that the DFK isn't going close enough to the goal to be worth an Extended Highlight.

On my last save game, i made a habit of going from "Key" highlights to full match whenever i got a free kick in such a position:

Using only key highlights - in one season DFKs scored 1

Switching to Full match - DFKs scored 8

This was with C Ronaldo, and is only one seasons worth of stats, however the numbers are quite startling - i suspect the reason for this is that when you switch to full match, the game re-calculates what is going to happen in the "highlight" hence, if you make the game think about it, it decides to shoot a little more often.

i suspect the reason for this is that when you switch to full match, the game re-calculates what is going to happen in the "highlight" hence, if you make the game think about it, it decides to shoot a little more often.

Wooo, hang on a sec woudl liek to get a SI guy to answer this, I was under the impression that the engine ran the same no matter the highlight mode selected, this could infer that someone watching only commentary would do worse than watching all th whole games just based on the speed rather than picking up tactical issues!

Can anyone actually "substantiate" Ched's suspect please.

... Guilherme with his free kick attribute 19 steps up... and lays it to defender Sekagya, long shot attribute 3. Wide. I am sure he hit few fans that were in row Z. In future I will give helmets for the fans that are standing behind the goal. I still managed to win this game, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Please save this particular match and post a bug in the Bugs Forum. They may ask you to upload the saved match.

quoting 2 post heres

i also get all my players standing over the ball except 2.When the free kick is taken it looks like my players are ants fleeing from an ant hole.it looks weird how that 1 blob suddenly splits into 8.

and i also get it when a freekick ends up as a team play, which inevitably ends with my GK with the ball

Archived