Regens you can't sign

I have found a tasy looking regen from the African minnow of Malawi (for some reason I seem to get a few from here pop up on my game). He speaks English and has international caps, yet there is no option to approach to sign or offer a trial? A look at his personal page doesn't indicate any impending retirement.

Obviously I'm not going to get a work permit anyway playing in England, but why would I not be able to approach him as an unattached regen?

as far as i know it's a bug - if regens are generated with a club, then they become unable to sign if they're called up or play for their national team before a club bids for them

Generated without a club, you mean?

If so, that's probably what it is, as I often go through minnow team screens and find the same problem with unattached regens.

I see alot of this - regens youths from very minor nations who are already capped, yet they decide to retire at 16 rather than join your EPL superstars! Needs sorting!

Same here, I understand them retiring because they haven't found a club in a period of time, but surely they should be able to reverse their decision when a decent club comes in for them. Perhaps we should add the "ask to reconsider retirement" to free agents as well as your team.

Could it be because of that FA or FIFA rule, where you can't sign a player who comes from a country who aren't in the top 70 or so in the FIFA rankings or something like that?

You can anyone from most countries if you have a feeder club to farm them out to.

Exactly. For a work permit the player needs to meet certain criteria, one of which is coming from a country in the FIFA top 70. If he doesn't, send him to a feeder club to gain EU citizenship.

So this issue is a red herring; the problem is a 'bug' with regens from minor nations retiring on the day they are generated.

Archived