Greek superleague play-offs

As the current structure goes, Greece get 2 CL spots and 2 UEFA cup spots. At the end of the season the teams in 2,3,4 and 5 enter a sort of mini-league. The side that finishes top goes into the CL then the two UEFA sides the last qualifies for nothing. But, I was wondering. If Greece improved on coefficientes on the game and had say 3 or 4 places, would the play-off structure change?

I guess teams that finished in 4th , 5th , 6th and 7th position will participate in a situation like this .

In game i believe that the entire play off thing should be removed ( most Greek FA members also agree with that)

Are you saying that it should be removed from the game regardless of whether it exists in real life? If you are, I disagree. My opinion is that SI should always strive to make things as realistic as possible and should always try to include things as they are in real life. That's just an opinion, though. I'm sure many people would differ.

If you weren't saying what I thought you were, I apologise.

I guess teams that finished in 4th , 5th , 6th and 7th position will participate in a situation like this .

In game i believe that the entire play off thing should be removed ( most Greek FA members also agree with that)

I agree. I think that a play-off to decide who qualfies is stupid! It should be decided on your league results, not how well you can play against the bigger sides. It should be gone in Holland too. It's nearly as bad as playing league matches in other countries!

Just been promoted with five games left with Diagoras!:D

it doenst change on the game, I was OFI and finished 2nd after Olympiakos won the double, there was a play off between 2,3,4 which was completely pointless as we all qualified for the UEFA Cup anyway and 5th place got the Intertoto. Still we got excellent gate receipts for the panathinakos and POAK games. Pablo Mouche has now scored 149 goals in 134 games (120 assists too), but his value never gets above 3.6 million and no-one is ever interested in him! Good for me I guess.

Are you saying that it should be removed from the game regardless of whether it exists in real life? If you are, I disagree. My opinion is that SI should always strive to make things as realistic as possible and should always try to include things as they are in real life. That's just an opinion, though. I'm sure many people would differ.

If you weren't saying what I thought you were, I apologise.

Well in real life they will be droped because last season it was a total disaster , low attendances , low TV money and most teams were super bored . IIRC the decision to keep them for 2008/2009 season was taken by marginal vote .

They tried to make something like the Dutch league but the organization was crap, Olympiacos won the league and they had to wait 1 month for play offs to end so they could play cup final.

To honest though, the league ends to soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the league end in April, in my mind they should add a few more teams so it ends in may like most leagues. I also don't see the point of two legs in domestic cups, surely it could only be played on one leg or in a neutral venue.

There is a bit of a gap as the league finishes before the end of April, so 18 teams could easily be incorporated as your players could be a bit undercooked if i could get to the Champions League final.

The Greek and Turkish leagues have always been a personal favorite of mine, i think its the excitement of getting a player who would grace the big leagues but wouldnt be a huge player, come to ply their trade with you. For example Nicolas Millian, Nicolas Sanchez or my new purchase Ashley Chambers whos going to be a revelation.

Tu, Tu, Tu, Turkish! Not even in Europe!

I think there could at least be twenty teams and why does the Beta Etniki finished at the end of may/beginning of june despite only having two more teams?

The leagues are the same rep/quality tho which is what i was hinting at. Trabzonspor being my longest game on last years game.

OFI's fiercest rivals are listed as Olympiacos apparently, shoult it be Ergotelis? Or are Olympiacos the Man Utd of the Greek league and hated by everyone?

Yes. Thats because(like Man U, only its never been proved) pay refs into giving them good decisions and they always win the league!

I don't think OFI mind Ergotelis because there has always been a friendly nature between the clubs. I think though Ergotelis resent OFI because in the Military Junta all Ergotelis' best players were given to OFI because they were Cretes premier team.

Archived