The Substitute Keeper

Simple really, do you have a keeper on the bench? if not why? And what positions do you have on your Bench.

Personally i dont have a sub keeper. Firstly because it is the position your least likely to need a sub for and secondly i seem to lose when i have a sub keeper. Ok i know its superstitious but its just something i noticed. Also I make sure i sign Phil Jagielka, A quality midfielder but also decent between the sticks - He's dug me out of trouble more than once in the net.

However, come the second season in the premiership i sometimes make a keeper my seventh sub.

My 5 Subs - LB/RB CB MF AML/AMR ST

My 7 Subs - LB/RB CB MF AML/AMR AM ST GK

The likelihood of a keeper getting seriously injured or sent off is unrealistically low in FM08, making it well worth the gamble of not having a sub. the ONLY time I have a keeper on the bench is if my first choice has low morale or a PR comment suggests he's unmotivated.

I just have to have one on the bench.

The players on the bench really depend on who I'm playing and who is fit.

If I'm playing a team I should beat easily I'll have more defensive players on the bench so when I take the lead I can protect it.

If it should be a close game I go with more attacking players so I can change it if needs be.

As a rule I go

GK, CB, FB, DMC, MC, AM, ST

I don't usually have a keeper on the bench, but when playing important matches like finals and big league games I have on the bench just in case. Although I don't think I've ever needed the sub keeper because of injury I feel a lot safer with him being there.

I always have my second goalkeeper on the bench, though I can't remember if i've ever had to bring him on as a sub, probably not. Don't think I've had keeper sent off or injured during a match. Sometimes, when I only have two decent keepers and one is injured/banned, I don't use a subkeeper.

I always have a keeper on the bench providing i have a fit one who can play if need be. My goalkeeper has rarely been injured or sent off but i still don't want to risk not having one when it does happen because inevitably it will happen in the game when you don't have a sub.

I usually go for GK,DF,MF,W and ST for five subs and GK,DF,FB,MF,W,ST,ST when its seven subs.

with seven subs i always have a keeper on the bench, when playing with 5 i only do it in big games.

7subs: Gk, Defender, Central Midfielder, Wide Midfielder, Utility Player, Striker, Striker.

5subs: Defender, Central Midfielder, Wide Midfielder, Striker, Striker.

Utility player is usually someone who is equally adept at playing in defence or midfield, or midfield and attack.

Always have a keeper cause you have to in SPL i think, I had quite a few injuries in FM07 so I always have had one in FM08 besides when in ECC my backup was injured so didnt have one.

My bench is GK, Defender(CB with another position), DM(with another position hopefully), Winger/striker, winger/striker, AMC, striker

I always play with a sub keeper because I seem to remember that if I don't, my keeper automatically got green crossed?? Judging by some of the above comments this doesn't happen (or at least doesn't any more)

Playing in the premier league with 7 subs means it doesn't really matter though...

I always have a Keeper on the bench as it seems the realistic thing to do and you never know what might happen (like when my Keeper at Falkirk got a red card when 2-0 up against a relegation rival).

I always have a GK, i may only need him twice a season but i feel it's worth it.

5 subs: GK CB DM AMR/L ST

7 subs: GK CB DR/L DM AMR AML ST

i only ever play one up front hence why even with 7 subs i only have the one ST on the bench.

NB: this may be changed if i have an especially promising youth player who doesn't fit into my plans, but he ahs to be very good :D

I normally do even if playing with 5 subs. however if I am winning 4 nil or something and it is liek 70 minutes I might stick him on to give him some playing time and keep him happy.

Maybe I should start doing that, I've got a couple of unhappy keepers at the moment.

I always put a keeper on the bench but might only be forced to use him maybe once every three years. He stays there in kind of a superstitious way, as I think that the moment I don't have a keeper on the bench I'll need on in a match.

7 subs: Eduardo (so DLC, DM, AM LC), DM, (A)MC, (A)MC, FC, FC, DRC

(For 5 subs the last two players miss out).

As I play a 442 Diamond with no wingers, I just have central (sometimes attacking) midfielders.

If I didn't have such versatility in Eduardo, I'd probably just have a DLC as my first choice DCs can also play DR.

Never play a keeper on the bench, except in friendlies.

I don't have a sub keeper on my bench, apart from cup matches. With my old club I had Jagielka (GK rating 3 or 4) so that was fine. I don't have an outfield player with a GK rating above 2 at the moment, so in the summer I might look to buy a utility player who can don the gloves in an emergency.

I always have a keeper on the bench. But then again I dont use all 3 subs each game, so who's on the bench doesnt really matter.

Im a firm believer of "Rafa-rotation". I have 2 players for each position, and if your condition aint 98-100%, you aint playing, mate! :p

5 subs: RB, CM/DM, RM, ST, ST

7 subs: RB, DM, CM, RM, AM, ST, ST

occascionally i will have 3 strikers instead of an AM. very Career. Always does me well. I have never need ed a substute gk. Has anyone ??

I figure its worth having a keeper on the bench - I rarely feel like I'm out of subs even with just four outfield players.

My 5 subs: Goalkeeper, defender, midfielder, winger, striker

My 7 subs: Goalkeeper, centre defender, fullback, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger, striker

Part of that is that I'm a firm believer in having players who can play multiple positions. While I don't mind players in my first XI who really only play one position, I make sure to have lots of flexibility off the bench. For example, on a 5-man bench, my "defender" was a left back who was also competent at central defense, defensive midfielder, and left wing. My 7-man bench will always have enough flexibility to cover all eleven positions in case of a second-minute injury .. and I'll usually have a couple of multi-position players in the starting lineup as well.

I suppose if I were locked in with a bunch of single-position players all through my squad, I'd be a lot more tempted not to have a GK on the bench!

I noticed a couple of people have said they give a sub keeper a run out.

I used to do this but once we were 2-0 up and our relegation rivals were 1-0 down.

I brought on sub keeper in 80th minute as final sub. 81st Minute my defender is sent off, my opponents score. Striker gets injusred and opponents equalise. Finish game to see my rivals won 2-1 and i was relegated.

With hinesight i shouldnt have done it but sinse they i dont even but a sub keeper on the bench in case im tempted to play him

I have gone into only 2 matches without a keeper on the bench. Game 1 keeper injured in 79th opponents equalized in the 85th. Game 2 - keeper sent off in 15th minute. It was 0-6 at half and full. That is the only time I have ever seen the AI go 3-3-1-2-1 with a big lead.

Of course I did confirm the morocco squad without naming any keepers. Thank God it was only a friendly that we lost 0-2. Amazing that I didn't get sacked for that one.

with 5 subs.. no, not unless its a big derby game, just in case. with 7 subs, yeah he's on there, unless its a game i HAVE to win, in which case its usually 1 def, 1 mid, and the rest strikers!!

Keepers can get injured during a game, but it's very rare. There's a bigger chance that Harry Kewell can go a full week without picking up a injury tbh ;)

Too true! (Especially the Harry Kewell part :p)

The only time I didn't put a keeper on the bench, he ended up getting sent off for a professional foul on a striker that made a surging run past my defence and was certain to score. I've always put a keeper on sub since. And rightly so when i've had 3 Injuries (To the same keeper, and all were for 2-4 weeks) and 3 Red Cards, in one season, in my previous Rushden data (Which has, sadly, become corrupted and lost in the depths of time and space...)

I didn't think there was a need... until just now... in an international match, a friendly versus Chad (I'm managing Nigeria), my keeper was sent off with a red card with 10 minutes left in the game. I didn't have a GK amongst my subs, so I played a DC. I was up 3-1 when the keeper was sent off, Chad scored 2 goals and had 2 more near misses over the last 10 minutes and I went away with only a draw. Glad this wasn't a big game!

When I have 3 subs.

1. DC (ideally one that can also play DL, DR or both).

2. MC (ideally one that can also player ML, MR or both)

3. SC (ideally one that can also play AML or AMR).

When I have 5 subs.

2. MC

3. ML

4. MR

5. SC

When I have 7 subs

2. MC

3. ML

4. MR

5. SC

6. GK

7. Any promising youngster, (position not important).

I just automatically have a sub keeper, but thinking about it, it's extremely rare for me to have to use him so I may not bother from now on. My only worry is that the game I decide not to bother could very well be the game I needed a sub keeper.

I just automatically have a sub keeper, but thinking about it, it's extremely rare for me to have to use him so I may not bother from now on. My only worry is that the game I decide not to bother could very well be the game I needed a sub keeper.

I always have one now. Once I actually forgot to put a GK on the bench and I was 2-0 up. My GK went off injured so I put my right winger in the net. BIG mistake, drew the game 2-2 in the end.

Another occasion, I decided to leave a GK off the bench as I wanted as many young players on there as possible. We went 1-0 up and my GK got (sent off, I think) we lost 3-1.

So I always have one, just because me experiences of not having one turned sour. There are other times where I havent had a GK and won but these games stick in my mind.

I always have a sub GK - Had to use him once in about 10 seasons but - it might happen at the worst possible time so any sensible person would have one to cover all bases. Much better now that you have 7 subs to choose from.

I always have a keeper. As a rule, I tend to go for a keeper, defensive player (versatile across the back preferably, if not someone else in my team will be so i can shift), a midfielder and two attacking players. If I'm going for 1 up front, make one attacking player an AM / winger.

With 7 subs, I tend to just throw a couple more names in. Often another defensive and midfieldy player.

I always have a sub keeper, because of 1 simple reason, a true story my dad always tells me:

He used to have a colleague with a heart problem, for which he had medication. But he only had to use that medication in case of an emergency. Since he was on the road a lot, he always had a bottle filled with those pills in his car, just in case. 15 Years straight he never had to use them (in the car that is). Then 1 week before his pension, he decided to clean his car. The next morning whilst driving his car to work, he suddenly realizes that he forgot his emergency- medication. Boom, heart-attack, dead.

Archived