Learning a language - players being ambitious.

Players only learn a new language when they join a club in a different country currently.

I've proposed this before and hope this can be introduced.

Players with ambition may perhaps learn the languages of the league they would like to join in the future. The kinds of players that would do this ought to be discussed. It shouldn't be that too many players do this. It needs to be limited.

Those players with ambition/professionalism could also start learning a new language if they have a future transfer agreed to a club in another country too. I reckon this would be relatively easy to impement (in the general scheme of things)? It would be a nice enhancement.

That's a good thought. I'm not sure how it would be decided which leagues a player wants to move to though. I guess it could be done purely by league reputation. The other thing I'd like to be considered is climate, but I imagine that being more difficult to implement.

Media speculation could come into this too.

Im not sure about players learning languages from leagues they would like to play but i like the idea of the players learning a language if they are going to be moving to a club so they have a basic understanding.

Maybe, I often wonder about this. I got annoyed cause I had a kid that was on English(Basic) for years.

Is there a large difference if your team dont all speak the same language.

What happens if you have a team in the turkish league but only sign Brazilians, do they only speak Portugese (sp) or learn Turkish.

Maybe, I often wonder about this. I got annoyed cause I had a kid that was on English(Basic) for years.

Is there a large difference if your team dont all speak the same language.

What happens if you have a team in the turkish league but only sign Brazilians, do they only speak Portugese (sp) or learn Turkish.

Playing as Leicester I had a Spanish full back who didn't even speak basic English until he'd been there over a season.

They speak Portuguese when they arrive, but they will learn Turkish (well maybe they will - Colin Kazim-Richards doesn't seem to have picked up any Turkish yet!

I wonder if some languages are easier to learn than others, or if a person is learning a language that is similar to one he already knows, then its faster to learn than it would otherwise be?

I noticed that I was fluent in German by Christmas (starting in June), Spanish by the end of October (starting in August) and it took me over a season with Italian.

Maybe when you manage in different countries, the game should switch to that language, forcing us, the manager, to learn the language too!!

Now that would make the game a whole new challenge, especially to some of the English people on this forum who have trouble speaking their own language at the best of times:p

• 2 years later...
Players only learn a new language when they join a club in a different country currently.

I've proposed this before and hope this can be introduced.

Players with ambition may perhaps learn the languages of the league they would like to join in the future. The kinds of players that would do this ought to be discussed. It shouldn't be that too many players do this. It needs to be limited.

Those players with ambition/professionalism could also start learning a new language if they have a future transfer agreed to a club in another country too. I reckon this would be relatively easy to impement (in the general scheme of things)? It would be a nice enhancement.

Maybe they could introduce a new contract clause into the game that says a player must have at least a basic grasp of the language before the transfer can be completed. Maybe a bit over the top but just a suggestion.

Maybe they could introduce a new contract clause into the game that says a player must have at least a basic grasp of the language before the transfer can be completed. Maybe a bit over the top but just a suggestion.

i wouldnt say before the transfer is completed but they have to learn a certain language in 6 months or something like that and you put that in to the contract. i dont know what would happen if they didnt learn or how it wold be implemented but eduardo has been told by shaktar that he has to learn ukrainian within 6 months of joining and its a clause his contract. but what you were sayying trekman is a good idea

What an interesting post, it would be nice if it was implemented in game, I would imagine this would be very simplified to be added in game, too many complex variations can spoil a simple game choices.

Maybe the player signing would able to learn a foreign language 'Quicker' as soon as he signs/plays games. I have signed different foreigners and have been getting mixed results. From different leagues. But far too varied and not truelly scientific to post my findings just that in my experience it's just random. Would be nice additional, just doesn't have to be as complex.

I speak several languages and in my opinion of the ones I speak, these are the most difficult in order of easiest to hardest to learn;

Italian

Spanish

French

English

Swedish

German

And in the game, the length of time it takes in order from shortest to longest is;

Spanish

French

Italian

German

English

Swedish

The order seems somewhat bizarre to me as Italian should be picked up the quickest as, though it's a matter of opinion, is regarded as the easiest to learn from just about anyone I have ever spoken to who speaks several/numerous languages.

There should also be some sort of mutually intelligible thing in the game. For example you have a Brazilian that plays in Spain, he will understand the Spanish mostly already just because the languages are so similar, you can assume for the business of playing football people spoke in simpler clearer terms to allow this. Same situation if a player had learnt Norwegian and then moved to Sweden, would have no trouble whatsoever despite never learning the language itself.

Also theres a lot of players that start out with favoured clubs in other leagues, so maybe you could expect the more determined and ambitious players who started with say AC Milan as their favourite club to learn at least basic Italian on their own.

I don't think ambition says it all - I'd say Tévez is fairly ambitious but he's made little effort to learn English in all the years he's been here. I'd say it's more to do with professionalism and less (but something) to do with ambition, and of course adaptability.

I learnt this in French class. :p

European languages can be broadly classified into two types, Romanic-Anglo (I think) and Latin-derived.

Romanic includes English and German, and similar derivatives (the Scandinavian ones). I'm guessing native speakers of these languages find it easier to pick up the other.

Latin types are Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and similar. Same, native speakers of such will probably find it easier to learn the others.

I think the hardest to learn has to be Korean, because it's not linked to any other type of language at all.

Archived