Is it still fun to play once all the familiar players are retired or died

Personally I've never got past 2 or 3 season because I like micromanagement, lack of time etc.etc.. but I've read in this forum that some people doesn't find it interesting once all the familiar players are no longer in the game after few seasons.

So my question is why is it fun/boring once the players you know, are no longer in the game?

Nobody dies, but after a generation or so all the original players have retired. You can follow their progress into management, and of course you can get attached to the regens you've nurtured. Go over to the Challenges forum and check out one of the most popular threads in this site's history;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=28789

Kipfizh's campaign is over 50 years in; he has hundreds of dedicated followers - the thread is on it's 37th page with over 3,600 posts. His fans are fascinated to follow the progress of his regens.

Well I know that players don't die and are recycled once their playing days are over. I just want an opinion on why is it fun to play with unknown players or why is it boring to play with unknown players.

I probably prefer to play when there are no real players because I get attached to the regens progress and whether they might break any club records.

It's also more of a challenge trying to find the right players as you don't know anybody and it makes it just as enjoyable if not more enjoyable but i do think it would be better if the quality of the regens were a bit better but there are many threads about that so i wont say much more about it.

If you want to see what its like you could start a game with no real players and see how you would enjoy it and if you don't like it then go back to a normal game.

Sometimes, (the bigger names) i would re-edit their age to 16 and send them to the club they started at. Not everyone but the bigger players. Ronaldinhos, Henrys and what-not. It's nice to see in 2020 Ronaldinho is still up for Player Of The Year. :D

I think the game should make a better effort of making you aware of who the world regen stars are through media articles. This may get you familiar with Joe Bloggs and replace to an extent the Kakas of the world. As it stands you only really get articles in your inbox about your own players or perhaps those on your shortlist.

I know 442 magazine does a regular 'boys a bit special' feature. Something along those lines might help your awareness of the world game minus the stars.

I think the game should make a better effort of making you aware of who the world regen stars are through media articles. This may get you familiar with Joe Bloggs and replace to an extent the Kakas of the world. As it stands you only really get articles in your inbox about your own players or perhaps those on your shortlist.

Agree with this.

You're really left to your own devices to find out about the regens.

Having said that I'd like to see more news from around the world finding its way into my inbox.

I feel the way it is at them moment you're left in the dark about lots of things. Manager appointments/sackings in your own league for one.

I actually get bored playing with all the familiar players.

Once you've done it once or twice, you get bored seeing the same names, the same results, same transfers.

Regens add a lot of variety to the game. Only downside is they can be bloody awful due to the various regen problems which shouldnt really be gone into here. ;)

How much fun it is generally depends on how you play the game. If you start the game with a decent team then it's rarely fun once you get past a few seasons and can constantly win things.

If, however, you start the game with a very small club (like in Dafuges challenge) then it's easy to carry on past the point where most of the original players have retired. By the time you reach the top league many of the stars of today will be old or retired anyway and from there it can still take years to win anything. These are the kinds of games where you don't care that all the players are regens as you'd never have had a chance to sign any of the players you read about in the papers anyway. And with Facegen giving the regens a face to put to the name it gives long term games a whole new dimension.

I prefer the game once it reaches this stage. Theo Walcott is 34 in my game and is retiring at the end of teh season. My squad is full of regens that I have scouted and that I feel are at a good enough level for me.

Rather than buying players due to name you now have to become a real player of the game, trawling through clubs trying to find players that you do not know are going to be reliable or any decent. Its much more hit and miss with players and you feel great when one of the many players turns out to become a world beater.

to me it is wonderful going as far as i can in the game

i like to spot a regen and develop them trying to get them into something realy magic ,it is a good challenge when u see the 16 yrs old player that u have developed through ur youth system has became the world class number one with u on his favourite personnel list and get the like of 70$ offers for his service

just another thing about loving FM

I know 442 magazine does a regular 'boys a bit special' feature. Something along those lines might help your awareness of the world game minus the stars.

Actually, I discovered the other day that one can look at the 'news' from any league you have running, or any competition (I think). This can give a pretty good sense of what is happening in the 'big leagues' if you're not playing in one.

I'm playing in Bulgaria, with the intention of earning my fame and ending up in the EPL, so I want to keep apprised of how those teams are doing, who's signing, who's managing, etc.. By switching the view to the EPL and hitting 'news', I get their news, which is pretty damn cool. I just wish that SI had made this feature easier to use and a bit more customizable. We should be able to select a set of leagues and happenings for our home newspaper. Like the daily brief to the chairman: "I want to know everything happening in the EPL, and all major transfers in Italy and Spain. Oh, and let me know if any wonderkids are spotted in Belgium".

But as it is, you can set this up for yourself by bookmarking the various leagues and their news sections. Just takes a few clicks more than it should....

i dont see why it wont be interesting once they have all retired. as mentioned earlier on, its a lot harder to discover and bring through talent, as you dont already know or have an idea of who the promising players are, without relying on your scouts or your own judgement. also quite interesting where former players end up... darren anderton as a physio for example. i downloaded a game that had been run through to 2023, started it up and took over as liverpool. first news item i got was, as usual, from the chairman, none other than Steven Gerrard!!!

Still enjoying my Hibernian/Dunfermline game, coming to the end of 2034/35 season now :cool: longest game I've ever done on any championship manager/football manager.

It's so satisfying to feel like a Legendary Manager. As time goes on you sort of enjoy seeing the generations go by. Fishing for new unknown new talent and watching them become star players.

My aim is to win the champions league and scottish premier league, possibly the treble with three different clubs in Scotland.

IT could be if they fixed regens and some other things to make a long playable career worth while. Also it would be cool if former players had kids and there youngsters came up through the youth football ranks as a great footballer. Also some players become coaches I think.

I always stick to one game and try to get as far as possible.It makes it more realistic if you have to fish around for new talent and dismantle title winning teams as the players get older. Fergie has done it dozens of times and it makes me feel like I have done something when I find a new gem and nurture the talent he has got

Hauler24 sometimes players children come through the ranks.

With me its only happened to former players still in the game. E.g. Jamie Carrigher a scout and then having a Andrew Carrigher come through at liverpool with his dad as favourite person

I would say it is still fun once the known players are gone as long as you take notice of whats going on around, eg which players are playing for other teams, playing for their nations, winning awards.

You get to know these new players, get to know what they are about, be able to imagine them playing, hate the ones who score against you and maybe even grow to love some of them.

Archived