What do do next?

I'm manager of Spartak Moscow in 2011. My previous best European finish was CL Quarter Finals but this year we got to the final against Inter.

I dug my suit out the cupboard and even went to ASDA to buy a red tie before I would play the game. I polished my favourite shoes and loaded up the game and prepared for the big game videoing an interview with myself on my mobile phone and watching it before the start of the match. I even played the Champions League theme through my PC as I picked my team.

For the first time in my FM08 career I watched the full game.

We were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go but then we lost a goal to go 1-1 and it was like the alamo Inter attacking and attacking and attacking!! I desprately tried to make a sub to get another centre back on and the ball went out of play. Thank God I thought! But then out of nowhere Inter took a quick throw and scored from it!

In anger I kicked the table and the table hit the plug and the plug came out.

What do I do now. If I won the European Cup it will feel so hollow :(

I'm manager of Spartak Moscow in 2011. My previous best European finish was CL Quarter Finals but this year we got to the final against Inter.

I dug my suit out the cupboard and even went to ASDA to buy a red tie before I would play the game. I polished my favourite shoes and loaded up the game and prepared for the big game videoing an interview with myself on my mobile phone and watching it before the start of the match. I even played the Champions League theme through my PC as I picked my team.

For the first time in my FM08 career I watched the full game.

We were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go but then we lost a goal to go 1-1 and it was like the alamo Inter attacking and attacking and attacking!! I desprately tried to make a sub to get another centre back on and the ball went out of play. Thank God I thought! But then out of nowhere Inter took a quick throw and scored from it!

In anger I kicked the table and the table hit the plug and the plug came out.

What do I do now. If I won the European Cup it will feel so hollow :(

I think you need to get out more.

Ooh, I know that bitter disappointment feeling of losing any amount of progress in a save game, for good or for ill. I hate playing the same match a second time - especially if I know the "right" result from the first time through!

First off, take some time away from it .. it will feel less hollow if you wait a couple days.

Secondly, make peace with it .. whatever you have to do to accept the match you saw part of. "It was a bad dream.." or "A premonition" or .. whatever works for you. That match is gone, and your save game will never include it, so tell it good-bye. Remember, you hadn't lost it yet .. who knows, you might have tied it up in stoppage time and won it in extra-time.

Thirdly, set your mentality to accept the new result: its another fifty-fifty chance. Whatever the outcome of it, that outcome is the "right" outcome for your save game.

Fourthly, if you are concerned about "fairness" .. make no changes. Try to start the same formation, tactic, and lineup that you did.

Fifthly, make sure you get excited about it again. You were excited before! You were immersed in it, living it and breathing it .. do whatever you have to to get that excited about it again!

Finally ... move your power strip. Mine is off to the side where I can't possibly kick it or step on it, after a similar experience. ;)

Work out how to counter the 4-2-4 tactic. Watching the full game, 1-0 up, you should switch to a split view with the opposition formation in one window. Pause the game when they go 4-2-4 and switch to your countering tactic.

When you win you can tie your tie around your head and go celebrate with the fans. Or your action man collection. Whatever.

Reminds me of FM07, I was pretty poor at the game back then. I'd got my team to the Johnstones Paint Trophy final (think it was called something else back then). Against all odds got to the 90th minute then went two nil up against the league 1 leaders (I was struggling to stay up in league 2) and had a power cut. I replayed the match over and over until I won it but it ruined the whole thing.

Reminds me of FM07, I was pretty poor at the game back then. I'd got my team to the Johnstones Paint Trophy final (think it was called something else back then). Against all odds got to the 90th minute then went two nil up against the league 1 leaders (I was struggling to stay up in league 2) and had a power cut. I replayed the match over and over until I won it but it ruined the whole thing.

was it call the LDVans trophy? one you done it once it never feel the same as the first time no mater how many times you do it :D

I had the opposite a few days back with my QPR save.

First game of the season, beat Charlton 2-1 surprisingly. Forgot to save, and midway through a League Cup game that Wednesday my computer crashed.

Restarted and drew with Charlton which started a 3 game league drawing streak followed by a 5 game losing streak.

Bloody typical.

Played this evening and lost 3-0 :(

Not even a heroic failure - just abject failure.

In fairness... It should have been 10 :(

I hope you do it next year.

I lost 2 on the spin once. Not happy.

Keep us posted how you get on next season mate.

Ooh, I know that bitter disappointment feeling of losing any amount of progress in a save game, for good or for ill. I hate playing the same match a second time - especially if I know the "right" result from the first time through!

First off, take some time away from it .. it will feel less hollow if you wait a couple days.

Secondly, make peace with it .. whatever you have to do to accept the match you saw part of. "It was a bad dream.." or "A premonition" or .. whatever works for you. That match is gone, and your save game will never include it, so tell it good-bye. Remember, you hadn't lost it yet .. who knows, you might have tied it up in stoppage time and won it in extra-time.

Thirdly, set your mentality to accept the new result: its another fifty-fifty chance. Whatever the outcome of it, that outcome is the "right" outcome for your save game.

Fourthly, if you are concerned about "fairness" .. make no changes. Try to start the same formation, tactic, and lineup that you did.

Fifthly, make sure you get excited about it again. You were excited before! You were immersed in it, living it and breathing it .. do whatever you have to to get that excited about it again!

Finally ... move your power strip. Mine is off to the side where I can't possibly kick it or step on it, after a similar experience. ;)

That is just so spot on.

Just so you guys know I finished bottom of my CL group behind Man Utd, Sporting Lisbon and Dynamo Zagreb the following season :(

I just moved to FC Twente for a new challenge and I'm currently 12th in the league and under pressure of the sack after only 3 months.

It's all gone wrong :(

Just so you guys know I finished bottom of my CL group behind Man Utd, Sporting Lisbon and Dynamo Zagreb the following season :(

I just moved to FC Twente for a new challenge and I'm currently 12th in the league and under pressure of the sack after only 3 months.

It's all gone wrong :(

Pretty tough group though.

Good luck with the new job.

Archived