Best way of developing players

Sorry I did try searching but no luck.

I was hoping someone could tell me what they believe to be the best way of developing young players to their full potential given my current game situation.

Its 2023 and I'm Braintree, have a very very good team (4 back to back prem wins), this game took me ages and was very hard but I've got there now! Anyway - I make a point of having top scouts, top coaching staff and excellent facilties. I try and buy youngsters and breed them into top quality players. I use my scouts to report on players potential, then once signed I usually try and loan them out until they are say 20oish, then I start trying to give them some minutes, usually the last 20-30mins of a game. Is this a good way?

should I be loaning them or not, usually its to lower league teams.

Do they need starts or is it ok for them to play say 20 times a season but only making 20mins at a time? I always use the upcoming stars in easy games, league cup or CL group games I dont need to win etc.

I only loan them out when they will e a valueble member of that teams squad. Any advice is appreciated, I hate spending silly money buying world class players when I can buy them young and develop them.

I'm in the same predicament mate, i've got a boat load of money but i would much prefer to nurture some wonderkids from my youth system. I can't find a wonderkid on my game (2016) at all, not even from other top clubs its a joke.

I play at least one youngster every match, but i'm pretty confident that the rest of the players are good enough to compensate for him e.g. I would play a 19 yr old CB with my veteran CB, or a young DM alongside my captain DM, I think it helps them a lot.

I'd recommend keeping players at your club until they're 18 or 19 and then look to loan them out if they're decent. If you've got top class coaches and facilities then they'll benifit more from training/tutoring at your club than by being loaned out. Once they hit 18 first team football seems to become more important in terms of development and at this point if they can't get a game in your first team it's best to loan them out.

When it does come to the time when you start trying to introduce a youngster to your first team I'd try and give him as many starts as sub appearences, but not too many in his first season as jadedness can stunt progression.

The biggest thing I try and do, particularly with a top team, is to only have one or two youngsters in a season that I'm trying to bring into the first team. That way I can give them plenty of match practice and because there'll generally only be one youngster on the field their inexperience will be made up for by the fact that the rest of the team is a higher quality and more experienced.

But all in all it sounds like you're pretty much going about it in the right way.

I just have someone with at least 18 judging ability and potential, then I go around all the under 21 and under 19 national teams and get reports on anyone that looks good. Can take a while but worth it, also have 4-5 scouts and have them consdtantly search europe and south america.

\Thanks chopper, as always your advice is top notch. It was you that helped me take on the braintree challenge in the first place!

No problem :thup:

Nice to see that you've managed to have success with Braintree and have enjoyed the challenge.

The next challenge is to buy all English youngsters and in a few years have an all English first 11 :D

When you play from the lower leagues I seemed to develop a load of Wonderkids until they get poached by the big teams. As the competition wasn't so good my youth players could play almost every game. When you hit the big leagues you have to keep doing the same and play your best youngsters as much and as regularly as possible. If you don't they'll just rot in your reserves and never fulfil their potential. Can limit your database of top players if you let all the best youngsters rot in that way.

After his 1st contract at the age of 17 put him in reserves .

Give him no more than 3 1st team appearances .

2nd year ( at his 18th) get him as a bench player and play him 1 or maximum 2 games per month .

Players need to rest and heat the bench in order to develop .

At the age of 19 he should be a rotation player , if he is not yet good enough then send him on loan in a team where he will be a starter , if after all this he is not as skilled as you need then get rid of him.

As about stats i have tried the "disaster" way - this is putting him off training and cause all his stats to drop as low as possible and then hard train the desired skills but so far the results are not good at all.

Each year I generally have a whole second first team that I can play in the dull or unimportant matches. It's very much the Wenger policy in the Carling Cup, only I don't mind risking them in Champions League group games. Sometimes they get hammered, sometimes they dish out the pain, but if you're popular enough at the club you should get away with losing now and again.

I have top coaches and facilities but do sometimes feel like I'm not developing them well enough. Other times I see their stats shoot up and amaze me, but their price never increases. It's a strange one. I don't think I've ever burned out a player though.

I buy mine in and then keep them in the U18s and reserves... that way they are learning in the top class facilities and regularly playing 90 mins! It also means I can call on them when I have an unimportant game coming up or an injury packed squad.

Archived