Superstitions

So often when I set a match off and then go to get a coffee or do whatever else away from my computer and return for half time I seem to be doing much better than I do when I sit there watching the game! Now obviously I'm not claiming the game has some supreme intelligence that knows whether I am sat there watching or not, it's just one of those silly things that can start to become a superstition if you let it, although I have also had games where I come back with my coffee to find myself 4-0 down at half time so it doesn't always work :p

I had such a situation this morning, playing whilst I ate breakfast and then kicking a match off as I went to get my stuff ready to go to work. I came back at half time to close my laptop and found a delightful halftime score of Inter Milan 1-2 Fiorentina. We never win away to Inter Milan! I don't think we've ever even scored 2 goals in a game against them, even our couple of home wins in the past were only 1-0.

Of course I'll screw up the team talk and we'll get mullered in the 2nd half and lose 5-2 when I resume the game on getting home from work, but still...it's nice to be infront at half time and after that I'm tempted to set the 2nd half off and just wander off for its duration - no substitutions, no tactical changes, just superstition all the way! Then no doubt I'll return and find someone got sent off in the 46th minute and it's sat there waiting for me to react :rolleyes:

it's nice to be infront at half time and after that I'm tempted to set the 2nd half off and just wander off for its duration - no substitutions, no tactical changes, just superstition all the way! Then no doubt I'll return and find someone got sent off in the 46th minute and it's sat there waiting for me to react :rolleyes:

Drives me mad, I go to make a cup of coffee or something and leave it running and when I come back there was an injury in the 46th minute. Is it a bug? :p

The worst superstition of all time has to go to me, when I was 14 and playing CM97 I was playing one of my major title rivals (who I had never beaten) and it was 0-0 at half time, when my gran came round to see us. Obviously I had to go downstairs in the hope of money :p so I clicked play for the second half and switched the screen off, I returned about 2 hours later and switched the screen on to find I had won the match. For about 6 months or real life gaming time I always switched the screen off in the second half of a big match and sat there for about 10 minutes before switching it back on. I can't say for sure if it had a positive impact, but at the time I thought it did lol.

Since CM2 I have always had to have my mouse cursor pointing over my opponents name at the top of the screen. Seemed to win a lot more doing this, but guaranteed to lose if I moved it other than to make necessary tactical changes.

how could it be in real life? manager pointing at opponent team name on scoreboard? :D

Since CM2 I have always had to have my mouse cursor pointing over my opponents name at the top of the screen. Seemed to win a lot more doing this, but guaranteed to lose if I moved it other than to make necessary tactical changes.

I am like you in this way, I have to have my mouse in the bottom right hand corner of the screen during the match so I cannot see it :p.

I am like you in this way, I have to have my mouse in the bottom right hand corner of the screen during the match so I cannot see it :p.

strange thing happens to me as well when i am on the internet and i am in a match when i click back on the game i see a goal just being scored it has happened about 4 times plus when i go a way and come back sometimes i am getting beat.

Haha when I started to read the OP I was smiling to myself thinking that happens to me too! Yeah its quite funny that it happens to alot of us and obviously like you said the AI doesn't have any supreme intelligence but if I ever do anything out of the ordinary for a big match and I end up winning you can bet your bottom dollar that i'll do it next time round. :)

Well, for those who are interested my prediction was relatively correct. We didn't have a man sent off on 46 minutes, we just conceded the equaliser then instead, and then conceded a 3rd before I wandered off to get some food and came back (it was in full match mode) to find Fiorentina narrowly failing to score from a corner in the 90th minute. So we didn't lose 5-2, but when the dust settles a 3-2 is no better than a 5-2 except perhaps for morale - it's still nil points and not likely to impress a board who feel I am making "no attempt" to fulfill their long term ambitions. Bah! I'm making every attempt, I'm mebee just a crap manager so leave me alone :(

I have to end on a win or i cant sleep, im sure a lot of this is paranoia but the last couple of restless nights i have lost on FM before coming off. I have to end on win which can be very hard with the teams i manage!

Also i dont have a sub keeper, if i put one on the bench we do poorly, even when my keeper was injured we still managed to win with a defender in the net

I usually don't watch the first 45 minutes. I hate it though when I leave it alone for a few minutes and come back and there was an injury in the 6th minute.

I also don't watch the last 5-10 minutes when I'm ahead and it's close. Just set up my defending tactic and come back to see if I won or tied.

i always go away when there's a penalty and i watch penalty shoot-outs on 'only commentary' mode :)

I can't watch a penalty shoot out either. Has to be on 'Only commentary' because having to wait for the players to get into position annoys the hell out of me!

I tend to commentate on my penalty shootouts! I actually won one recently with Werder Bremen too (vs Schalke). I almost fell off my seat in surprise as 4 of my 5 penalty takers planted brilliant penalties in the back of the net and Schalke missed 2.

one game i sat and watched the first half. it ended with me 2-0 down. i made 3 subs, restarted the game and went to make a cup of tea for my nerves (it was a vital relegation match and i couldn't afford to lose).

came back at FT to a 5-3 scoreline in my favour. i couldn't believe it.

i can't watch penalty shoot outs either. my record is so poor in them. i once got knocked out (as Liverpool) by Exeter City 4-1 on penalties (my own fault really - i played the reserves and failed to score with 15 shots on target during the 120 mins)

one game i sat and watched the first half. it ended with me 2-0 down. i made 3 subs, restarted the game and went to make a cup of tea for my nerves (it was a vital relegation match and i couldn't afford to lose).

came back at FT to a 5-3 scoreline in my favour. i couldn't believe it.

That's happened to me too, but I think it's to do with making all three substitutions at half time, if it aint broke don't fix it kinda thing.

Archived