Players retiring - then coming back? - thoughts?

Hi all

I'm sure several of you would have had star players in your long-term save games, who just decide to call it quits eventually, despite you wanting them to continue in a non-playing capacity??..

What do you think, not sure if this would be easy to implement for 2009 or not, say eg. Ballack definitely doesn't want to stay in the game blah blah, and eventually retires in 2012...In 2014, you could get a message, saying that former club favorite Michael Ballack has decided to re-enter the footballing world, and is currently a scout for FC Bayern, or something to the effect???

What do you guys think?? Chances are when a player retires in real life, he wants to spend some quality time with friends/family/saving penguins or whatever, lol...and could start having withdrawal symptoms down the line...would be a nice feature to see a former great returning to a club...

Comments please?? Would love to see this in FM2009 :)

Cheers

Definitely. Although I've never got to the stage where loads of well-known players retire, I've seen - as I'm sure a lot of you probably have - the Bandits' AI research, and only two or three of the players took up staff roles after retiring.

Not one for me really.

Once a player hits 31 - 32 they have no place in my team. Time to give the youngsters a chance.

Granted, but wouldnt u want those legends to pass on their skills and expertise to your youngsters??

Not one for me really.

Once a player hits 31 - 32 they have no place in my team. Time to give the youngsters a chance.

So all your coaches are in their 20s?

I think he mainly means they return as coaches, managers, assistant managers or scouts. So the odd star leaves, which happens sometimes even when they are "definatly staying in the game" then after a few years they might return.

Would be cool but maybe too much memory just tp implement.

Another great idea IMO. It adds to the realism of players coming back after they get bored of not being in the footballing world. Also a good idea about players doing u-turns on international careers as this happens frequently irl.

I would almost say this is already in the game..... i've seen players become non-players availble to sign as a staff member but remain unemployed for long periods before finally landing a job.... couldnt you say that th player retired with the view of become say a scout but pursuing other interests in the meantime?

I hope people understand where i am coming from here.

I think this would be a good idea because it would make FM even more realistic. Quite a few players come back as coaches etc. after a few years out of the game so this should be implemented in FM IMO.

Off topip - Tonight has been a good night for ideas for future FM games :D!

good idea, however i would like to take this even further and have some (and I stress the word some) players returning after a year retired.

It would be great to see a similar headline to that mentioned in the first post:

"Michael Ballack has decided to come out of retirement for one more crack with a recently poor performing and injury ravenged Bayern Munich"

just a thought.

Brilliant idea as well....

I'm no programmer, but maybe those possible greats, can just be stored in some arb temp folder in the database, and when the time is right for them to be unleashed, they can be...not sure how hard that mite be??...

PS can someone tag this thread with the icon on the right that represents "Suggestion for future FM", ta...

• SI Staff

Quite a few players have come out of retirement recently to play.

Jorg Albertz for Clyde, Lorenzo Amoruso for Cosmos and Aldair for Murata are recent examples.

Currently in the game ex-players do sometimes become coaches / managers / scouts. You don't often hear about it though.

Not one for me really.

What! Two of my best players are 33 and 37 and I've just been promoted to the Superleague!!!!

"Michael Ballack has decided to leave his career as a postman to return to Bayern Munich as a coach"?

Archived