problem with fm08?

hi im having a problem with fm08 on my vista laptop. its a new laptop ( 1 month old ) an i installed fm08 on it, once installed it went straight into the game an i played it, saved it an when i went back to play it the next day it says in 2 seperate windows 1 after each other 'unable to find data file' and 1 window after saying 'failed to find a default database to use. please make sure your installation is not corrupt' any ideas why and how it can be resolved??

many thanks :thup:

The only person who could really answer this is someone from SI as they are the ones who know how FM looks for the files it needs to start up.

If FM looks to the registry then I would hazard a guess that this has to do with Vista UAC. Can't really help you there as I don't have Vista myself but I would assume you need to install it from an administrative account and allow it to run as an administrator. Without these it may affect the application's ability to find and load what it needs to run.

Maybe someone with Vista will chime in but you need to state which version of Vista you are using as I think there are subtle differences between them.

^ I'm not being lazy (well maybe I am :D) but google 'User Accounts Vista' or 'Vista UAC' and you'll get many sites describing these things. There should probably be an explanation in the 'Help and Support' section (there is on XP anyway where Help and Support is in the Start menu).

Or it may just be that your installation is corrupt. So try clean installing the game (do a search of the forums for 'clean install') and then install it again buut disable anything that might interfere like antivirus software.

sorry for late reply. i dissabled the vista UAC and spyware, cleaned the computer of everything i could of fm08, did a disc clean up, disc defragment,and its seemed to work. 1 thing i will say is with vista it dont give u a shortcut on ur desktop so i tried to move the file but when i did it didnt work. i put it back in it worked again. but i was able to right click and create a shortcut. amateur mistake lol.

Thanks for the reply japan4 :)

It wouldn't surprise me if Vista UAC was a culprit in a lot of the issues people are having with Vista (access rights, installed but with errors, white screen etc.). It doesn't seem to be as instantly user friendly as intended. But I'd say no more than running XP as an admin as long as your antivirus protection etc. is up to date and you know the most likely places to pick up a virus and avoid them, then disabling UAC shouldn't be an issue.

If you're not the only user of the PC/laptop then I wouldn't recommend disabling it.

Archived