Suggestions for FM 2009

FM 2008 is missing one important future. I don’t know how common it is in the UK, but we’ve seen it happen a couple of times in Copenhagen, where I’m from. Imagine:

A player X has contract expirement on the 30/6-2008 with his club Y. He signs with club Z on bosman rule on the 3rd January 2008. Now, in FM 2008 this would mean that player X will join club Z for free when his contract is to expire in the end of June. And that’s all fine. But now a days it is often seen that the club Z tries to negotiate a cheap transfer fee with club Y, in order to already take over player X in the January transfer window. Club Y gets a little cash for a player not included in the clubs future plans and with his thoughts already on club Z. The club Z gets their player 6 months before and everyone is happy.

Example: Theres this highly reputated midfielder that i'm chasing. On one of the first day of the January transferwindow i succeed to get his signature on the bosman rule in front of a whole lot of clubs. Among the next week i get an offer on one of my midfielders that is to good to refuse. I sell him. But now my squad is one midfielder down untill July. Here you should be able as manager to try and negotiate a here-and-now transfer with the players club in order to keep your squad in balance.

I know that players transfer fees tend to get lower in a window before a player can leave on bosman, but it has annoyed me for quite some time now. Bottomline: FM 2008 leaves this option completely out and that’s a shame I think. I know jack **** about how you can program such a detail, but for ex. you could imagine that the players club would tend to sell for around 20% of his normal market price, after he has already signed with a new club.

Furthermore I haven’t experienced that theres been any impacts to the game, considering the Andy Webster case. What are your thoughts on this? I find that SI will have to do some serious impacts concerning the Webster-case to keep track with time.

Please give me your thoughts... :-)

Best of Danish greetings,

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't noticed any impact with the real life game since the Webster ruling either... People thought it would be as big as the Bosman but I've never even heard of anyone else taking advantage of this ruling?

Thats a reasonable point. The whole Webster Case will be very difficult to implement to the game, no doubt about that. Its sort of an unknown size, and it would not only be tough to develop, it would also be very tough to predict an rate for how many players using this Webster option. Especially concerning the, apparently, low amount of players taking advantage of the Webster option. I don't know whether there is an unwritten moral codecs in the player associations worldwide, that advises not to take advantage of the option? Probably not. But it seems a bit strange that the Webster case hasnt yet revolutioned the transfermarket.

Archived