Goalkeepers - Opposition Instructions

Does anybody always put the opposition instructions on the goalkeeper as 'always close down', 'tackle hard', 'tight marking' and 'show onto weaker foot'?

Will this mean your players will always pounce on fumbles made by the goalie and close him down when he brings the ball out trying to be cocky?

Just wondering if this will result in more goals because the only downside I can think of would be a player rarely getting sent off for a late challenge on him!

That all seems about right to me, although I never do it so I can't say for sure. Always close down on a GK with low concentration or high eccentricity will probably work, but I don't think it would work often enough to notice.

I never set opposition instructions and it doesn't seem to do me any harm.

Richard 76, do you think there's any need to do that? I've been playing CM/FM for 10 years and can count on one finger how many times i've seen my GK sent off, even using hard tackling.

Yea me too.

This is something Cleon over on the tactics forum does. He's helped me a lot with my tactics. Made sense to me at the time.

My GK was sent off once in FM 08. He has instructions to clean up the long punts by the opposition which means he often runs out of the box to do that. On one occasion he misjudged the run and ended up fouling the striker just outside the box. Got sent off and since I never have a keeper on the bench I then had to play a defender in goal, who started with conceding from the free kick my GK had caused. Got trashed quite heavily iirc.

On topic, I always use 'close down often' on GK as well. Can't see any harm in doing that.

Archived