Tactics - Consistency or change?

Does everybody set a tactic at the start of the season and stick with it or do people change the tactic before every game to counter the oppositions strengths?

Also do people have tactics saved so that they can change during the match depending on the situation? For example, if you have a 1-0 lead and you want to protect it do you change tactics so that your team holds the lead or if your losing do you switch to an all out attacking tactic pushing men forward?

Just wondering because i'm confused as if it is bad for your teams consistency if you keep changing tactic.

Thanks.

Does everybody set a tactic at the start of the season

Also do people have tactics saved so that they can change during the match depending on the situation? For example, if you have a 1-0 lead and you want to protect it do you change tactics so that your team holds the lead or if your losing do you switch to an all out attacking tactic pushing men forward?

Yes and yes :)

I usually stick with the 442. its very adaptable and flexible so i usually change the instructions a hell of a lot. Against bigger teams i often play a slightly directer game cause they leave more space behind when they attack.

Also I was wondering do people have two seperate tactics for home and away games? I do and my away tactic tends to be a bit more defensive with slower passing and shorter aswell, I also have less creative freedom whereas when i'm at home I play more direct, fast passing football with the attacking knocked up.

And as for opposition instructions do people take note of the scouting report and put special instructions for certain players and if so which instructions and why?

I tend to stick with my trusty attacking 4-4-2 for the start of every game, though if I have injuries or carded players I'll sometimes switch to a 4-1-2-2-1. I don't like starting with other formations if I can help it but sometimes towards the end of the season I'll change things mid-game if the AI is winning

I have 3 sets of tactics, as mentioned above.

4-5-1, 5-4-1 and 3-5-2 depending on oppo and weather.

they are used for home and away games. I don't have separate tactics for home and away, because in my experience, it make little to no difference.

Just wondering because i'm confused as if it is bad for your teams consistency if you keep changing tactic.

Okay, first, if you keep changing formation, especially radically, you'll see additional mental mistakes, players unmarked, suicidal backpasses, etc. So, I'd recommend steering away from that.

That said, yes, I have tactics saved and I toggle between them several times a match. I tend to have five, all working out of the same "base formation": I think of them as

Defensive: All four defenders are on "Stay Back", and the fullbacks Forward Runs are set to rarely. No farrows. Instructions set to time-waste, counter-attack, etc. No offsides trap, plenty of tight marking and long-ball clearances into space. This is so defensive that I will only go to it with a one-goal lead after the eightieth minute.

Counter-attack: Plenty of "Back If Needed" instructions so that a switch to the 4-2-4 doesn't catch me out. Fullbacks no farrows, Forward runs to Mixed. Some time-wasting, counter-attack. Other instructions may depend on team and personnel available. This is my typical defensive stance, for use with a one-goal lead and plenty of time, a two-goal lead, or a matchup where I'm happy to squeak a draw.

Normal: Fullbacks no farrows, but Forward runs to Often. Wingers have farrows forward. Get both centre backs up on corner kicks. Mentality, time-wasting, etc., are all pretty much spot in the middle. Midfielders make more forward runs. Passing is a bit shorter. Other instructions vary according to the strengths of my team. This is my base tactic, fairly strong in both defense and attack, for use with a draw, at home, or on the road against a weaker team. I'll also go to it with a three-goal lead.

Creative: Fullbacks have farrows, forward runs Mixed. Wingers have farrows forward. Increased creativity and mentality. Time-wasting is well below the mean. Central midfielders, even the MCd type, have plenty of forward runs. This is my base attacking tactic, for use when trailing with time remaining, or at home against a weaker team.

Attacking: Fullbacks live in the Wingback position. Wingers live in the AML/R positions. Time-wasting is very low. Short passing, with a patient buildup, is the watchword. Everybody gets forward on corner kicks, with maybe one player on "Back If Needed". This is my desperation tactic: it ships plenty of goals, so for some league matches I never go to it at all, but I have success with it when trailing by a goal against a weaker team .. and I'll go to it when two down in a Cup game.

A typical match might see me go through them all, something like this:

0 min: Normal

32 min: Scored a goal, up 1-0. Shift to Counter

HT: Stay in Counter

47 min: Oppo. got his team-talk right. They score quickly, 1-1. Stay in counter

58 min: Oppo. scores again. 1-2. Shift to Creative.

80 min: Still trailing. Shift to Attacking

83 min: Score! 2-2! Shift to Creative (or Normal)

87 min: Score again! 3-2! Shift to Defensive.

Usually, those five tactics *all use the same base formation*, whether its 4-4-2, 4-5-1, or 3-5-2. For some teams, I'll add some variations at the extreme ends which monkey with the formation just a little bit: for example, a 4-4-2 team might want a 5-4-1 defensive tactic in its arsenal, where I can bring a striker off and add a centre back (or a 4-5-1, adding a DM). I might have a creative attacking option, maybe pulling off a defender for an AMC to increase attacking options. I consider these outside my "base" package, but I do spend some time setting them up and will go to them a couple times a season.

Finally, there are a few AI formations that my "base" package struggles against. For those teams only, I may come up with a new base formation .. its very rewarding when you start beating a former nemesis based solely on your tactical nous!

You're welcome, guys.

The key thing to remember between those, in my mind, is that the differences are subtle. I'm not radically changing my strategic approach .. just changing our instructions a bit. I do go through and make sure that every players' "individual instructions" reflects (for that position) what I'm trying to accomplish in the "team instructions" .. so for example, I love to have a Playmaker midfielder, who gets Much creative freedom and a more attacking mentality than most of the rest of the team .. in the "Defensive" outlook, that might look like bringing his Creative Freedom and Mentality down to the exact midpoint, and dropping his Forward Runs from Often to Mixed.

Every offseason, I look at my new acquisitions and starting lineups, and try to make sure that I have instructions that make sense for them. For example, with a slow but technically brilliant winger, I'd want to set his personal Run With Ball to Rarely for the entire suite .. and three years on, when I have a much faster youth who has pushed the oldster out of the lineup, I need to go through all five and crank up his Run With Ball to the right levels again.

Also, I occasionally get a "unique" player - think Peter Crouch, for example - and wind up setting up a duplicate five tactics that suit that player. Getting the most out of Crouch seems to include switching him to Near Post Flick On, which I rarely have a striker on, and using him as a Target Man, Aim To Head. (Obviously enough!) ... but I won't use him for 90 minutes of every match of the season, so I'd probably leave my "base" suite of instructions without him, and make a duplicate "Crouch" suite to shift into for matches he starts or subs into.

I have three tactics Home, Away and Emergency and they do exactly what they say on the tin. I never tweak during a game, before a game or after a game, when I start with a club and I use these tactics immediately and never stray from them. Tweaking, IMO, is a product of these forums and people mentality that they need to tweak to win has been created by the amount of talk about tweaking on these forums.

I have stuck with my 4-1-2-1-2 tatic all the way through FM07 glory days and FM08 with Rangers. Tatics changes and slight formation changes through the season ofcourse.

I find it works wonders with Rangers, but found it hard with Barca in 07 whom I got bored of quick, only enjoyed their ability to sign anyone, (just bought kids).

I have 2 differnet tactics and I use one of them home and away until it hits a bad patch. I'll then switch to my other tactic until that hits a bad patch, at that point I'll go back to my original tactic again.

This method has had varied results in terms of how often I need to switch between the two tactics. In some games I've used the same tactic for 10+ seasons and in some (like my current Sunderland game) I end up switching tactics every couple of seasons.

The main thing is that if you build a balanced tactic you can happily just use it without tweaking. However, it must be a balanced tactic. Go too attacking or too defensive and you'll find that you need to tweak to counter the opposition.

I never change the formation but im constantly changing the tactic, maybe as much as four times a game depending on certain situations. I've set up a formation that I rarely stray from but I have four different variations of it, Ultra Defensive, Defensive, Normal and Attacking. Before a game I'll choose a variation based on who and where im playing and then during the game i'll change tactics (including changing to different personal instructions) when needed. Of course if neccassary i'll abandon all forms of my logic and just go all out attack if im desperate but luckily that rarely happens.

I've found this way of playing the game best for me, I don't find it harms my consistency, infact I'd say it helps it. In 06 I just used one formation for 30+ seasons with great success but found that didn't work for me in 07. I got frustrated to the point where i'd play CM01/02 but now in 08 I've adopted this new (for me) strategy and not only is it working but I'm enjoying playing the game more than I have enjoyed any other FM or CM game before.

I always play 4-4-2 with attacking wingers. So it's like a mix between 4-4-2 and 4-2-4 really.

I only change sometimes during a game if i need a goal or get a player sendt off or injured with no subs left.

I never change my formation no matter what. I keep my 2-3-1-3-1 formation but I tweak in the match depending on the situation.

Like Amaroq explained, I too keep different tactics and use during the match if I need to. This way, my team is consistent and my players work for each other really hard. Plus players get used to their positions really well.

I won't change formation during a season and tactics rarely. I'll only change my tactics during a game and only then if somethings really wrong.

If your only 1 down at half time, you can pull this back with a good team talk. Even after half time 1 goal down can be changed by your subs so I wouldn't change for that.

In short I'd only really change if I was losing heavily or after I've used the team talk & subs (last 20 mins).

Some exceptions to the rule:

Cup games: change time wasting when in front and short time remaining.

Possession: If your just being lucky and are clearly getting outplayed for a long period of time it might be worth changing tactics before you start leaking.

I like setting tactics before & among every game according to opponents, fields, weather, etc.

But generally only tactics, not formation. I usually stick to 3-1-3-1-2, which is my favorite.

I used to have a Home (attacking) and an Away (counter-attacking) tactic (4-2-3-1).

Currently in 2022 as Real Madrid.

The only change I'd make is for away games to Valencia, as my tactics can't cope with Ronald Koeman's 4-1-3-2. In fact a newgen called Carlos di Clemente (Brazilian) has become my nightmare, scoring in every game against me from the middle of the 3 midfielders, sometimes netting a hat-trick.

For some strange reason, though, I effortlessly win the home games against Valencia, go figure.

For the 2022 Super Cup in Spain, the spectators were in for a treat. Lost 1-4 at the Nuevo Mestalla in the first leg, I was livid, especially after we took the lead on 51 seconds!!

Couldn't contain di Clemente at all.

In the home leg, we were up 3-0 after 14 minutes, leading on away goals, and scored a fourth on 36 minutes when my [newgen] DC was sent off for elbowing a Valencia player. While we were still sorting ourselves out, Valencia score to make it 4-1.

So it's even stevens at half time, but I'm one man down. I hit the jackpot with the team talk (One goal will do it...) and I score twice within 5 minutes from the kick-off.

Score: 6-1

So Valencia go 4-2-4 and score again and pile on the pressure. I lose a 2nd player, this time to a 2nd yellow, and cling to my lead, their next goal will send them through on away goals.

But I hold on, my goalkeeper is Man of the Match.

Of course, since the Board Confidence thing is broken, the Board still tell me they're upset at the heavy defeat to Valencia...

i created one tactic at the begining of the game and i havnt changed it or tweaked since. now just about to start my third season i won the champions league twice fa cup once league cup twice euro super cup once and world club championship. i have yet to win the premiership tho.

In fact a newgen called Carlos di Clemente (Brazilian) has become my nightmare, scoring in every game against me from the middle of the 3 midfielders, sometimes netting a hat-trick.

This is the spot where I have the most fun with tactics - trying to find a way to take care of a specific player who has hammered me in the past.

One of my favorite tricks has become "double coverage", setting two players to explicitly "Man Mark" the same player. With a midfielder on "tight" marking and a defender on normal marking, you tend to wind up with one player goalside of him, and one player trying for interceptions.

Given the formation you describe, I'm not sure what the right way to do it is ... ;) ... I've had real luck with controlling a winger (with my winger and fullback) or a striker (with a DM and a DC).

Obviously, "Opposition instructions" might be key for it, too, whether you want to "Closing Down Always" on him, "Tight Mark Always", or put him on his weaker foot .. it sounds like you need to do something! :D

I keep the same formation (ex. 4-4-2) during the majority of the season, however I make regular changes in terms of tactics (mentality, tempo, passing) before and during matches. If I find my team not doing good after a certain amount of matches with the current formation I have, I make slight adjustments to the formation. I will still keep the 4-4-2, but have a different variation of it, to freshen things up a bit.

I would LOVE to keep my tactic. But is it just me or the game's engine wont let you do that?

For example: I started off with a custom tactic that works great. But after a season or 2, I notice the team perform considerably worse than before even though the squad is pretty much the same (less goals scored, more goals conceded, less possession, etc).

This forces me to find a whole new tactic. After that, I start winning again but the same case repeats.. eventually the new tactic becomes ineffective as well.

So I have to keep making new and new tactics all the time. Honestly it's starting to make me lose interest in the game :(

I just use 5-3-2, with wingbacks with an attacking mentallity all the time, winning or losing. It does work. I'm top of the league only coneding 10 goals in 27 games despite having the worst squad in the league. Won my last game 6-1 against one of the best teams in the league:D

• 1 month later...

i have the belief that every new FM game has its own favorable tactics. almost everybody knows about "the Diablo" for example. next it was 3-5-2, then it became 4-4-2 straight. the last game my 4-4-2 diamond was unstoppable, the game before that 4-3-3...

now that barça and chelsea apply striker/winger supported 4-5-1/4-6-0 tactics and real madrid's almost traditional 4-2-3-1 people may seek for players to apply them for their own teams, which is difficult.

in fm08, my lower league games were mostly influenced by the quality of my loan players from parent club. use your loans properly and even untouched, unmodified tactics and formations of the game as defaults are enough.

but when you go in upper competitions, not even a-class leagues but premier league of any nation you gotta do more than that.

in this game too i found 4-4-2 quite helpful. i use "set to..." option often. full backs to full back, central defenders to centre back, wingers to wingers in MR/L positions (not AMR/L). the key is usually what you do with your central midfielders in this formation. it depends on who you have and what you want to do.

if you are one of those "buy the same guy all the time" kind of guys, and say, buy lulinha every game you start then it is almost obvious that one of your MC's will be set to atacking midfielder. the other then, will be set to defensive midfielder that is. but not "always" 'cause lulinha is not "too soft" that does not touch the ball when it is in opposition. so you can set both to "midfielder". DM-MC-AMC are all so interchangable after some point if they are good enough.

i usually stick with my 4-4-2 tactics which i fine tuned up to now. my dream tactic though is still my favorite 3-5-2 with 3 dc's, 2 wb's, 2 mc's, 1 am, and 2 fc's. real difficult 'cause you have to defend with three defenders only, your wings are mostly easily exploited and when opposition comes up with a single striker formation marking becomes an issue among the centre backs of yours.

i don't like single striker formations, even though most of the success stories i listen to indicates that one is the "favorable" formation of fm08. maybe that's why my fm08 careers are not as glorious as my previous ones. i am stubborn in my formations and i only do fine tunings. go gung-ho sometimes when the scoreline is already down the drain. does it matter if i concede 5 instead of 4, why not score some?

the way that a.i. learns our tactics is fine, just a lil bit over "fine" actually, which gives me the creeps... improving squad with transfers to necessary positions only is not enough any more 'cause once they learn, even if your players are better than theirs when compared one-on-one, and your established tactics are still on course the underdogs will shoot briefly, score a single goal with 1 shots-1 on target stats while your double digits are denied by the heroic goalkeeper of the opposition, you will go home sadly... your fingers aching, your hand hurting, and your keyboard perhaps, broken...

I would LOVE to keep my tactic. But is it just me or the game's engine wont let you do that?

For example: I started off with a custom tactic that works great. But after a season or 2, I notice the team perform considerably worse than before even though the squad is pretty much the same (less goals scored, more goals conceded, less possession, etc).

This forces me to find a whole new tactic. After that, I start winning again but the same case repeats.. eventually the new tactic becomes ineffective as well.

So I have to keep making new and new tactics all the time. Honestly it's starting to make me lose interest in the game :(

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to keep a tactic with maybe, just maybe a tweak here and there. However I know that this is not enough for FM08, but if I'm walking a game and am up 2-0 with 20 mins to go I feel that the quality of my current tactic should suffice to see out the game, but time and time again the AI completely changes formation and either draws or wins. I know a comeback can happen and I should change my tactics to counter but this can take away from the 'game'. I don't feel I should have to make wholesale changes to my tactic. Maybe a tweak here and there. I know this has been discussed elsewhere so won't go on, just having a bit of a 'vent' :D

I stick to a 442, but have different tactical settings within that depending on whether playing home or away and also during a game if I'm defending a lead or behind.

I do make the odd changes to my base tactics, for example when I start the game I'm stuck with lower league players and so the tactics have to be failry basic to get the most out of them. But as I go up in the leaguse that changes slowly into a more passing game as and when I get better players in.

Archived