FM Will Not Run

• 3 months later...
I have just installed FM on my laptop (vista) and having quit the game when it first started to install the latest patch, it jus will not work anymore. Can Anyone help?

cheers

Not without a more detailed description.

I am not bothered about the fact that a shortcut does not come up because as I said I should be able to start it by double clicking the disk drive which I have inserted FM but the fact of the matter is that it does not work:(

cheers anyway Andy

People are trying to help you on a forum. You need to be exact with what you have done and the errors that are appearing, if any. Write down every little step you've done and post some screenshots if you think it needs to be clearer, particularly if you are getting a specific error message.

At the moment you're posts are quite vague.

I have just installed FM on my laptop (vista) and having quit the game when it first started to install the latest patch, it jus will not work anymore. Can Anyone help?

cheers

You quit the game when it first started to install the latest patch. What does that mean?

Did you install FM 2008 from the disk as normal?

Did you then download the patch, double click the patch executable to run it but you cancelled it as it was installing?

Did the patch complete it's installation and give you a message to say it had successfully installed?

the icon does not come up either. i have to go to computer and click on the actual disk drive that it is in. the round cd logo comes up which indicates it is loading and then nothing at all happens

Does this mean you have not actually installed FM 2008 and are attempting to install it but it will not autorun the installation?

Does this mean you have not actually installed FM 2008 and are attempting to install it but it won't run the installation even when you double click the disk drive in My Computer?

Does it mean you have the game installed but it does not recognise that the disk is in the CD drive even though it is? In this case you would get an FM 08 pop up message saying something like 'FM 2008 disk not found. Please insert disk and try again'.

I am not bothered about the fact that a shortcut does not come up because as I said I should be able to start it by double clicking the disk drive which I have inserted FM but the fact of the matter is that it does not work:(

cheers anyway Andy

I refer back to the questions after the last quote. Have you actually successfully installed FM or is that what you are trying to do? If you have installed FM then there shouldn't be any double clicking of the disk drive involved in starting the FM 2008 application.

Basically what I am saying is your descriptions aren't that clear and personally I can't figure out what it is you are trying to do and where you are having the problem. Admittedly I might be the only one who can't figure this out from what you've posted ;)

cheers anyway Andy

I just tried to load FM from double clicking the disk drive icon and your right it doesn't work.

if you have installed the game properly there should be a FM08 icon somewhere on your computer.

I also agree with isuckatfm completely everything your saying is vague and I do not understand what you have done.

Basically, I successfully installed both FM and the latest patch (8.02) on to my laptop as i have now stopped playing it on my my desktop (on which it ran succesfully). The FM icon now does not appear to be anywhere hence the reason I am having to go to the disk drive in order to try and get FM to run.

I hope this is more clear mate.

If you have successfully installed it there is no need to put the disk in to start the FM application so clicking on the disk drive is unnecessary. I don't have Vista myself so you'll have to wait for someone with Vista to post where games get installed to with Vista as it is different to XP (or use the search function in Vista to search for a 'Sports Interactive' folder or 'fm.exe' file).

The fm.exe (a round purple thing with 08 written on it in grey) is what you should be double clicking to start the game. I think with Vista shortcuts aren't part of the installation so if you want one on your desktop you need to do it yourself manually. What you will need the disk in the drive for is the security check but it should do that automatically without you having to double click the disk drive or do anything else. If it doesn't read the disk then you'll get a 'please insert disk' type of error.

I have Vista, and if there is no C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008 folder then you haven't installed the game. Check Programs and Features in Control Panel, and if FM 2008 isn't listed then go to Start > run and type in D:\setup.exe

I have Vista, and if there is no C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008 folder then you haven't installed the game. Check Programs and Features in Control Panel, and if FM 2008 isn't listed then go to Start > run and type in D:\setup.exe

cheers mate. i created a desktop shorcut from that and everything is working fine.

thanks to everyone who tried to help

Archived