WW's Director of Football Challenge

Whilst I was away on holiday I thought that this could be a good challenge and one that can certainly be carried out at a fast pace.

If the reason you play football manager is so you can micro-manage every match of the season, then this challenge may not be suited for you - but if you give it a try then hopefully it might give you a different perspective on the game!

WW's Director of Football Challenge

The Aim

Become manager of a club, but by not making any 'match day' decisions, you effectively hand over the role of manager to your assman and you step up to become Director of Football of your team.

The aim is to take your team to first domestic and then European glory by making executive decisions about your club, without the micromanagement of the games.

The Details & Rules

* Start as a manager in one of the following divisions:

++ English Blue Square Premier

++ Italian Serie C2

++ Scottish Third Division

++ Spanish Second Division B

* Give yourself Sunday League experience status and a plausible nationality.

* You may only load the leagues from the country you are starting in. (In England you may load BSN/S if you wish)

* You may not 'load all players' from any nation.

* Enable attribute masking.

* Use a large database.

In your role of Director of Football, you are allowed to carry out the following tasks:

1. Appoint who you want to be your assman (effective new manager of your club).

1. Buy and sell players for your football club.

2. Offer players & staff at your club new contracts / terminate contracts of those unwanted players and staff.

3. Devise training schedules for your club.

4. You may offer tactical advice to your assman by providing him with a pre-arranged tactic if you wish to do so.

5. Make any decisions surrounding parent / feeder clubs and stadium / training ground expansion.

You are not allowed to do the following tasks:

1. Select the starting 11 and match day squad for your games.

2. Personally make tactical changes and substitutions during each match.

3. Provide your side with any team talks.

You should holiday each match day to ensure that your assman is in charge at all times for your matches.

Rules for the thread

* Player and staff naming is allowed.

* Discussion of tactics given to your assman is allowed.

* When you join the challenge could you please describe a little about who you are playing as, media & club expectations, how you think you will get on and if possible, a screenshot of who your current assman is.

* Everytime you change assman, could you please provide a new screenshot of who they are please.

* You may move clubs as often as you like (although this may be detrimental in the long run!). However, you may not take on a job at a national team until the challenge is complete.

* If you get sacked, then you can either start afresh or carry on as an unemployed manager until you get a new job.

* Update as frequently as you would like to, but updates at the halfway mark and at the end of the season would be much appreciated.

Hopefully this is a slightly different challenge to those already on the forum as it makes you think more about the off field performance of your team.

You have to put more faith in your assman and provide him with a club that can't fail to perform, as ultimately you will get sacked if he fails to deliver - so you need to make a decision about if / when to fire him, before he gets you fired!!!

Finally... enjoy! :)

Weymouth - A seaside jolly to glory

I have decided to start off at Weymouth in the English Blue Square Premier. Weymouth are expected to finish solid mid table in the BSP, so hopefully my assman can fulfill my ambitions.

Presenting: Mr Alan Lewer

I am hoping his good tactical knowledge will help lead Weymouth to a safe position in the first season. As his contract isn't due to expire until 2011, I can't really afford to get rid of him immediately!

A £10k transfer budget doesn't allow me much flexibility to bring in new players, so I'm going to have to get myself a parent and hope for some good loanees to help my assman.

Alright, as my free time is about to open up as my job ends in an hour and a half (not that I am counting or anything), I think I will try this. When I get back to my laptop I will start this challenge, probably in England.

I am starting as Oxford, who are expected to win the Blue Square Premier, so lets hope we can do this.

Mickey Lewis

I have an almost non-existent transfer budget so will hope to get a good parent club to hopefully bring in a player or two to help ensure a league win.

Weymouth 07/08 Pre-Season

Not a bad pre-season for Weymouth. I cancelled a couple of away friendlies to get some much needed revenue by having home matches.

1 v 1 - Cheltenham

0 v 1 - Wrexham

0 v 2 - Newcastle Utd Reserves

3 v 0 - Dorchester

That last win has meant that the fans are now happy after beating a rival convincingly!

Have Bristol Rovers has my parent club and they have leant Weymouth a couple of players, but neither of them are spectacular.

In the 1st game of the season Weymouth managed a respectable 2 v 2 away to Grays, hopefully with some solid home form then Weymouth can be steady midtablers this season!

More updates later today.... unfortunately it has gone a bit downhill this season so far :(

Well so far in my first season I am in the middle of October and I am 4 points out of top so all in all a good season so long as I am able to go on a run and win the League. I have managed to get Charlton as my parent club and they have given me two good midfielders on loan and I picked up another on loan from Colchester. Well we will see what happens the rest of the season.

Well so far in my first season I am in the middle of October and I am 4 points out of top so all in all a good season so long as I am able to go on a run and win the League. I have managed to get Charlton as my parent club and they have given me two good midfielders on loan and I picked up another on loan from Colchester. Well we will see what happens the rest of the season.

Good work... you seem to be doing a bit better than Weymouth are at the moment! ;)

Well well, back in challenges with this one. Taken over Burton.

Prediction - 7th

Board Expectation - Top half

I'll try and get some loanees or free agents to back up the squad. I have Derby as my parent so I hope I can get some decent youngsters. And there you go. Here is my brilliant(!) ass man: Gary Crosby

With 10K transfer budget and just 500 under the wage budget of 9.7K, I hope we can finish around what we expected.

Just finished my friendlies.

Ilkeston 2-3 Burton

Burton 1-2 Derby

Billericay 0-1 Burton

Burton 2-1 Doncaster

Aberystwyth 1-3 Burton

and the biggest upset of the pre-season

Burton 1-8 Blackpool :(

Striking duo of Ben Hunter(new signing) & Daryl Clare have managed 7.33 and 7.00 respectively with 3 goals, 2 assists and a MoM for Hunter and 5 goals and a MoM for Clare. Things looking quite good at the moment to be honest.

edit: Also signed a fitness coach and a physio to fill in backroom staff.

Weymouth

More like 'way down in the mouth of relegation'!!! :(

I'm now in mid-October and Weymouth are in 20th place in the Conference. During Sept we were down in 23rd place but 3 wins in a row has taken us just out of the relegation zone.

Bristol Rovers are my parent club but the 2 loanees they have provided us with are hardly electrifying. However I have got John Ruddy and Matty West on loan from Everton and Coventry respectively. Hopefully over the next few months they can help us move back up to mid-table before I get the sack!!!

Archived