FM still seems a little slow on my pc

i would say 14 leagues is a bit much i jst do large db with

scottish.english(championship above) italian,spanish,french,german and portugese

u shud try it ;)

• 3 months later...

How many leagues are you running? If you run a lot of leagues with a large database this can slow the game down, but that PC should be able to handle a fair few leagues easily.

Also, what are you running in the background at the same time as FM? Dual core will improve your PC's ability to handle multiple programmes but running memory intensive programmes at the same time as FM may still slow it down.

And finally it depends on your definition of slow. Exactly how slow is it?

I am running 14 leagues which isn't that many and i am using the large database, it isn't really slow but it still takes a while to get to the next game, i changed the detail level to minimum, perhaps it's just me but i just expected it to be a little faster than it actually is.

I am not running anything in the background really, apart from firefox.

Turn off your antivirus or add the relevant paths to the scanning exclusion list. FM constantly reads to and writes from cached files on the hard drive, and if your antivirus keeps scanning these it can slow the game down.

Another effect of this 'cache' file behaviour and Windows love of using Virtual Memory is that your hard drive can act to slow the game down regardless of how much RAM you have and how fast your processor is. You can google this to find out ways of improving performance although alot of the methods are considered contentious. Gamers report better performance yet tech experts say it makes no difference and the gamers that report better performance are seeing something that isn't actually happening.

The same applies if you have the Disk Indexing Service enabled. Everytime FM reads/writes to these locations the DI Service is tracking these changes. From my experience turning it off has sped the game up. But as with my point in the last paragraph this could just be me seeing performance improvement that isn't really happening.

Theoretically you could use the Preferences section to change your user folder to an external flash drive and tick the option for 'Use 'user data' folder for temporary files'. If your flash drive has higher performance ratings than you hard drive this theoretically should speed things up. If you move your page file to the faster external hard drive this should also theoretically speed things up. But moving the page file to an external drive may cause issues so it's best to read up on how exactly to configure it. You could use manual settings to leave a big enough section of the page file on your boot drive so that Windows doesn't have a fit but that might lead to slow down if FM's paged memory gets split between the two.

But I'm not an expert so best to read up on these things or defer to someone more technically knowledgeable before trying some of this stuff.

Its not your computer, its FM. When it comes to performance its not exactly the most optimized game in the world. Try to play with as few leagues as possible and use a smaller DB. Thats your only option.

i would say 14 leagues is a bit much i jst do large db with

scottish.english(championship above) italian,spanish,french,german and portugese

u shud try it ;)

Archived