Is PPM really useful ?

A good player is a good player, but a good player CAN be terrific.

For instance a player with good finishing that has 'places shots' is a real godsend when he is in form with high morale. I know many on here will know exactly what I mean.

As a tip, if you get a youngster who is stuffing in the goals in the youth team - get him on a good striker training programme and then get him tutored by someone with places shots. I have done that with Scott Sinclair and Murphy of Arsenal, and they became goal machines from season three-four.

And do not even start me on how good a playmaking midfielder with 'tries killer balls often', 'dictates tempo' or 'curls ball' is. I still have nightmares of Fabregas slicing my Chelsea defence open in the ECL. :(

Older players with good PPM's like Ballack are GOLD for your youngsters!

• 3 months later...

I've found this on a website,is it true??? I'm so confused. Please help me,,,thanks~~~

""Player Preferred Moves or Actions (PPM/A)

Please Note: Players will do all these things anyway if they have the ability or tendency to do so according to their attributes and the better ones will do the positive ones at the appropriate times, whereas a player with a PPM/A will tend to do that action more often and use it when it is not appropriate to do so as well.""

according to this, a player with good stats doesn't need any ppMs!!!! is that true???

Let's take Ronaldo as a RL example. He has a 'tries tricks' PPM.

So, IRL, he's a good player; does he need to 'try tricks'?

In his early days at ManU he used to do them at inappropriate times and give the ball away. Now, under SAF's tutelage and greater maturity he does them at more appropriate times - in FM terms we'd say his decisions attribute has increased.

So I put it to you, does Ronaldo need to try tricks [a PPM] or not?

P.S. 1st post by the way son - welcome aboard!

I always try to teach my regens the useful ones, just to keep them in the game. It is noticable btw, I had a portuguese winger, Pedro Fernandez, who had Runs with ball down the left and hugs the touchline. He plays far different from any other winger on the game.

Also take another regen striker, Martin Cue, who had "likes to take ball round keeper" and " Tries lobs" (or something like that), he was amazing in 1 on 1 situations, compared with your average striker.

For me it makes a huge difference.

You'll see things like shoots with power, places shots, hits free kicks with power, shoots from distance all make a difference.

I also think that if a player has a ppm of stays back at all time you won't get the best out of him setting him to forward runs often.

You can also teach young players ppm's by tutoring.

To be honest I tend to completely forget about any players' PPMs. On very rare occasions I will tailor my tactic to make use of them, but mostly they just happen or they don't and I take no notice!

That is, until I get a player to tutor a youngster and the youngster, at the end of the year long process, learns how to argue with officials. Warms the cockles of your heart it does to see your senior players teaching your youngsters such important stuff ;)

Let's take Ronaldo as a RL example. He has a 'tries tricks' PPM.

So, IRL, he's a good player; does he need to 'try tricks'?

In his early days at ManU he used to do them at inappropriate times and give the ball away. Now, under SAF's tutelage and greater maturity he does them at more appropriate times - in FM terms we'd say his decisions attribute has increased.

So I put it to you, does Ronaldo need to try tricks [a PPM] or not?

P.S. 1st post by the way son - welcome aboard!

thanks for your welcome..:) and i have more questions to ask~~:D

1.what's the meaning of "dive into tackles"...is that a good PPM for DC?

2.how can i train a youngster escpecially when he has poor physical attributes? should i always place emphasis on building up his body before his age of 20? or training all his attributes at the same time ? or just send him to affiliated clubs and hope everything will be fine when he comes back?

thanks!

2.how can i train a youngster escpecially when he has poor physical attributes? should i always place emphasis on building up his body before his age of 20? or training all his attributes at the same time ? or just send him to affiliated clubs and hope everything will be fine when he comes back?

thanks!

For 1, think of Paul Schole's tackling.... will make pretty rash, reckless challenges. not good for a DC! expect a few penalties to be conceded

Not sure of 2, best looking in T&T.

To be honest I tend to completely forget about any players' PPMs. On very rare occasions I will tailor my tactic to make use of them, but mostly they just happen or they don't and I take no notice!

That is, until I get a player to tutor a youngster and the youngster, at the end of the year long process, learns how to argue with officials. Warms the cockles of your heart it does to see your senior players teaching your youngsters such important stuff ;)

I really like that players have ppm's.

I'm just hoping they play a bigger part in FM09.

thanks!

You're most welcome :-)

1. It's only good if he has high tackling and decision attributes, otherwise you've got Vinnie Jones on your books. For me, another but better PPM for a Dc is 'does NOT dive into tackles'!

2. In FM08 with the latest patch, it's been noted that after about the age of 20 or 21 players make very little further progress in physical attributes. therefore, you want to develop them as much as you can while they're young. In my youth training schedules I crank up the strength and aerobic schedules as high as I can, and only bother with technical and mental sides when they progress to the reserves. If you think your youngster has real potential, you should get him a tutor, which if successful will boost his mental attributes as well as give him some PPMs. Finally, for all-round progress he needs to play first-team games, which probably means loaning him out - but make sure the loanee guarantees him first-team action. Put in a 'can be recalled' option in case they don't play him.

You're most welcome :-)

1. It's only good if he has high tackling and decision attributes, otherwise you've got Vinnie Jones on your books. For me, another but better PPM for a Dc is 'does NOT dive into tackles'!

2. In FM08 with the latest patch, it's been noted that after about the age of 20 or 21 players make very little further progress in physical attributes. therefore, you want to develop them as much as you can while they're young. In my youth training schedules I crank up the strength and aerobic schedules as high as I can, and only bother with technical and mental sides when they progress to the reserves. If you think your youngster has real potential, you should get him a tutor, which if successful will boost his mental attributes as well as give him some PPMs. Finally, for all-round progress he needs to play first-team games, which probably means loaning him out - but make sure the loanee guarantees him first-team action. Put in a 'can be recalled' option in case they don't play him.

thank you so so so much! :D

i've got a really awesome youngster(PA 196!). but his natural fitenss is only 4...that's really bothering me..:(

run down with the ball left/right is realy usefull for fullbacks and wingers in an attacking team.

compared to have a fb without it its a big difference how many times the player comes forward and do crosses even if the players have about same attribs.

run down with the ball left/right is realy usefull for fullbacks and wingers in an attacking team.

compared to have a fb without it its a big difference how many times the player comes forward and do crosses even if the players have about same attribs.

You have to be careful with tutoring though.

I managed to get a young right back to learn the ppm runs with ball down left.

Not ideal.

You have to be careful with tutoring though.

I managed to get a young right back to learn the ppm runs with ball down left.

Not ideal.

ye i have done the same lol

here is a screen of a good player from africa, hes been tutored by simao and one more i cant remember

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sakney1cp8.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sakney2ui6.jpg

ye i have done the same lol

here is a screen of a good player from africa, hes been tutored by simao and one more i cant remember

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sakney1cp8.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sakney2ui6.jpg

Good stuff.

I also remember reading on here a while back somebody had got Rivaldo to teach half of his squad to try overhead kicks.

Tries long shots can be good or bad. For central attacking midfielders with a high attribute in long shots it can be deadly. Van der vaart springs to mind as a good example of this. He scores tons for me.

He has PPM's :

- Shoots from distance

- Places shots

- Likes to beat man repeatedly

This means he is deadly from outside the box as he has long shots of 17-20 depending on training. And when he gets in the area he places his shots.

Great use of good PPM's for a player.

"Hits free-kicks with power" together with a high free kick rating = very useful ;)

"Hits free-kicks with power" together with a low free kick rating = get the stand behind the goal re-inforced and give fans who sit there protective headgear!

Rooney and Tévez trained Welbeck in my game and the net result was someone who argued with referees and shot from distance and with power - and Welbeck's long shots attribute is about 11.

I didn't see this when I loaned him to my Triestina team so the net result was him with a whopping 40% of shots on target, taking more shots than my other two strikers put together.

Lesson? Useful if they have the attributes, but otherwise detrimental as you can't "untrain" PPMs.

Haha yeah you have to be careful, I never get my players to tutor if they have bad ones like "Argues with Officials", "Dives into tackles" and "Shoots from distance" (as I hate players shooting from distance.

You definatly notice "Shoots with Power" thats a great PPM for a player with good finishing.

Also therubberducky27, "Learn from player" can send only PPMs to the learning player

"Take his approach to the game" takes just mental stats

and "Ideal Role model" Takes mental and PPM

But they dont always work as alot of the time if you dont pick them right player will fall out and could even end up hating each other.

Archived