Praise-Buy-Unsettle...strategy?

Yes, but what you fail to take into account is that the prices on the game are very inflated. The 10M you talk about is more than 1 or 2M really. The value of money on the game is very, very low. Thats why you get the situation you find yourself in. Like I said, if you offer something like 30-40M, they probably would have accepted.

Also, IRL, selling a player to a fierce rival can have other problems as well. If Tottenham were to sell Berbatov to Arsenal for say 30M, their fans would go mental because they sold their best player to the biggest rival. They'd be far happier selling him to say Man Utd for 20M. It might not be the case in the game but thats a big reason why rival clubs dont like to do business even if the price is a little high.

• 3 months later...

Cards on the table...I have never been great at the old 'Praise-Buy-Unsettle' strategy of getting players to want to join me.

If I really want a player I will generally state that i think he is a quality player, then make a bid. After he has replied...if he responds positively...I will state that I am looking to sign him.

On occassions this works out just fine. But you read people on these forums stating that they managed to sign people like Bojan, Vela and Terry from their clubs. And I can never get even close if a player is not hugely unsettled, and if he loves the club he is at then there is no chance. Also some managers like Wenger just say no even if you offer silly money. No intervention from the board.

So how do you do it?

If there is a simple and easy to follow guide into such things, or ANY advice you can offer that has worked for you then please enlighten us 'saps' that plod along baffled. :D

Thanks in advance... :D

Usually I spend months unsettling them, praising them etc each month and when I'm on there favoured list I strike. Depends how much I want the player though I suppose, I don’t have a set “tactic” really.

I find Arsenal a particually difficult club for accepting bids.

in my second season i wanted berbatov so when asked if intrested by medai i said i was . I then went to player interaction and said i would to my utmost to sign him and praised him. This unsettled him and he wanted to move to a bigger club. He soon handed in a transfer request and was aviable for 12.5 million which was brilliant considering tottenham were looking 30+ million for him

in my second season i wanted berbatov so when asked if intrested by medai i said i was . I then went to player interaction and said i would to my utmost to sign him and praised him. This unsettled him and he wanted to move to a bigger club. He soon handed in a transfer request and was aviable for 12.5 million which was brilliant considering tottenham were looking 30+ million for him

I had a similar thing. I was Chelsea, Tottm put him on the list for £15m. A few bids go in and are accepted. I put in a bid, rejected...no negotiation. Berbatov complains at not being allowed to talk to me.

So I bid £17m...no dice, £18m...no dice, he complains again. £20m...nope. £22m...nadda.

So eventually I bid £25m for a guy they have listed as wanting £15m for...NO!

QUIT GAME, out comes disk, lets play something less ********. I am all for a competitive transfer marker...but come on!

I had a similar thing. I was Chelsea, Tottm put him on the list for £15m. A few bids go in and are accepted. I put in a bid, rejected...no negotiation. Berbatov complains at not being allowed to talk to me.

So I bid £17m...no dice, £18m...no dice, he complains again. £20m...nope. £22m...nadda.

QUIT GAME, out comes disk, lets play something less ********. I am all for a competitive transfer marker...but come on!

Not reckon it may be the fact that Spurs don't want to sell to a London rival? It's not ******** at all it makes it more realistic if you ask me, you rarely see star players going to a rival club in real life.

Not really that ******** mate. Its pretty realistic considering clubs dont really like selling to rivals. Its the same in real life as well. When I was playing as Arsenal, I wanted to sign him too but they were having none of it. I saw that Huddlestone was on the transfer list there and I just wanted to see if they would sell even HIM to me. I bid their asking price which was about 4-5M and they came back with a negotiated deal of over 20M and 20% sell on! If you bid something like 40M for Berbatov at that time, they would probably have accepted. All about draining your fierce rivals off every cent before selling to them really.

No no no. I understand rivalry...that's obvious.

But cutting off your nose to spite your face?

That is "£10million". And Tottenham and Chelsea have done plenty of business over the years. It's a rivalry sure, but it is hardly Man Utd/Liverpool or Celtic/Rangers.

Yes you may be able to buy a good replacement for £15m but a better one would come for £25m.

I Dread to think of the mark up...80% maybe!!!!

So you are offered two prices for something that is yours...one offers 80% more but you turn him down JUST because of a dislike?

You are left with a fraction of what you could have got, and the other guy goes and batters someone else with their wad.

Frankly if I was the Tottenham manager, I would have snatched their hands off and gone on a spending spree!

• 1 month later...

Come on..What have we seen happen last night with Robinho.

Chelsea offered the same as City but City's bid was accepted to spite Chelsea. Real even said they didnt sell him for football reasons.

It almost happened with Berbatov to Utd as well. These things do happen and are more and more likely to happen when the Chelseas and Man Utds are involved.

If other teams are bidding for a player then it a club doesnt want to sell to a certain team then they will up the price by alot.

Imagine Arsenal putting Fabregas on the transfer list. Lets say £30mil. IF Chelsea and Man UTd bid £30 mil you can guarentee that both bids will be rejected. If Barcelona or Inter bid it may be a different story. The last thing you need is a rival in your home league buying a top player. The huddlestone example is a bit extreme but no game is going to be perfect.

Come on..What have we seen happen last night with Robinho.

Chelsea offered the same as City but City's bid was accepted to spite Chelsea. Real even said they didnt sell him for football reasons.

It almost happened with Berbatov to Utd as well. These things do happen and are more and more likely to happen when the Chelseas and Man Utds are involved.

If other teams are bidding for a player then it a club doesnt want to sell to a certain team then they will up the price by alot.

Imagine Arsenal putting Fabregas on the transfer list. Lets say £30mil. IF Chelsea and Man UTd bid £30 mil you can guarentee that both bids will be rejected. If Barcelona or Inter bid it may be a different story. The last thing you need is a rival in your home league buying a top player. The huddlestone example is a bit extreme but no game is going to be perfect.

Not related at all. Real and Chelsea are not rivals, it seems that kenyon the man with the negative personality just annoyed Real. So they sold to Citeh instead. If Chelsea had bid 80% MORE than Citeh then I am sure it would have been different. as that would be around £50m which is the World Record.

It's amazing how clubs are willing to smash the world record on players such as Ronaldo, fair enough he scored an insane amount of goals last year but I'd like to see the odds for him to emulate such a season ever again. Ronaldo valued at more than Zidane is ludicrous, we all seen how good Ronaldo was for Portugal at Euro 2008 and in contrast world cup 2006 Zidane practically pulled France to final himself.

The influx of foreign investors will and is destroying football as far as im concerned, Man city feasibly being able to bid £135 million for a player will remove any transfer market competition and eventually any European football competition until some other weird business man who's slightly richer picks a new club to pump money into and there we go swings and round a bouts. There needs to be regulation before it's too late im not one to decide what the regulations should be but if it's left as it is being now there wont be much competition that we'd be able to call "football".

It's amazing how clubs are willing to smash the world record on players such as Ronaldo, fair enough he scored an insane amount of goals last year but I'd like to see the odds for him to emulate such a season ever again. Ronaldo valued at more than Zidane is ludicrous, we all seen how good Ronaldo was for Portugal at Euro 2008 and in contrast world cup 2006 Zidane practically pulled France to final himself.

The influx of foreign investors will and is destroying football as far as im concerned, Man city feasibly being able to bid £135 million for a player will remove any transfer market competition and eventually any European football competition until some other weird business man who's slightly richer picks a new club to pump money into and there we go swings and round a bouts. There needs to be regulation before it's too late im not one to decide what the regulations should be but if it's left as it is being now there wont be much competition that we'd be able to call "football".

Whoa...? kinda off topic i might say =P

I've been able to unsettle even fairly loyal players with this technique:

1. I become friends with their boss through the media. Doesn't have to be best friends, but 'thinks the two of you can become friends'.

2. Get bids accepted for the player, even if they are silly money at first.

3. Try praising or admiring the player, but if they tell you to **** off, then do so.

4. Repeat bids until the player gets angry with the management for accepting bids.

5. Wait a little while. Sometimes he'll put himself on the transfer list. The waiting helps to diffuse his not wanting to sign for you in particular (I think, but who knows?).

6. Approach the unsettled player again either in the media or with an offer. He may go for it if you are the kind of club he wants to move to.

football has changed. if zidane was about now at the same age, think how much he would be valued at if ronaldo is valued at 135.

i managed to unsettle fabregas recently but it took over a year of praising at most once a month and declaring interest. built a friendship with manager, while fabregas fell out with after i kept making high offers with them being accepted. 47.5mil

Archived