Quad core and fm09

I have a quad core overclocked to 3.45ghz and 4 gigs of ram and can run *all* of the leagues and divisions on a medium database for a few seasons before it starts to crawl. My only mistake has been vista 32bit instead of 64bit. What I would really like to see SI optimize for the next edition is how the game performs the further in you go.

• 3 months later...

People seem to forget that QUAD core doesn't mean it will go triple the speed.

It just means you can run more programs at full CPU power instead of sharing cpu with other applications.

Yes in theory your FM will run as fast and you should be able to run several other programs aswell.

It just means you can run more programs at full CPU power instead of sharing cpu with other applications.

Yes in theory your FM will run as fast and you should be able to run several other programs aswell.

Example if you have Quad Core 2.4 GHZ. It will run no faster then 2.4 GHZ, however the game will be able to use all the 2.4 GHZ of power.

On a single core, it would be sharing alot of the 2.4 GHZ elsewhere. Therefore less processing power for FM.

How fast do you want to the game to go? With a decent spec machine it should run pretty fast with a number of leagues ran. I am sure with a quad core it will run super fast. :thup:

It doesnt. It runs okayish, but thats with only one league that is really processed fully. If you would be mad enough to select all the leagues and a large DB and then select full match processing for all the matches and not just some half assed reputation based kludge it would be so slow you would probably die of old age before the season is over.

• 5 months later...

well i'm running 20 playable leagues on huge DB and half of world's first divisons uploaded with DDT generator and it runs like a dream on my quad so far. but i only played 2 official matches so far :)

also i know i won't play more than 3 or 4 seasons. even that would be a huge success for me...

Why would people assume something called a quad (4x) would go triple (3x) the speed?

Hmm odd this. I wonder why SI dont just offer the option in preferences for the user to manually set the number of threads rather than using the catch-all 'threaded' and trying to guestimate or set limits etc?

Because it doesn't really matter. The OS will distribute threads between cores itself, depending on its scheduler design (unless you explicitly specify affinity, of course).

Currently, if you look at 'number of threads' (or whatever it is called) column in the Task manager, you'll see that FM uses 8 threads (well, or at least creates them for later use).

It is very up and down on my Q6700, 4GB RAM (3,5GH), 1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 260 896MB.

Doesn't really matter how many, or little, leagues i run. After half a season it starts to be jerky and it lags. Have to click several times on buttons and names in order to get it to work.

Last night i tried to change the resolution. Changed it into default window mode (if something is called that). Then i could experience a significant increase in performance.

Basically my resolution seem to control how fast the game runs. God knows why.

The lag and jerkiness isn't always on matchdays. It can come whenever.

It is very up and down on my Q6700, 4GB RAM (3,5GH), 1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 260 896MB.

Doesn't really matter how many, or little, leagues i run. After half a season it starts to be jerky and it lags. Have to click several times on buttons and names in order to get it to work.

Last night i tried to change the resolution. Changed it into default window mode (if something is called that). Then i could experience a significant increase in performance.

Basically my resolution seem to control how fast the game runs. God knows why.

The lag and jerkiness isn't always on matchdays. It can come whenever.

i get the same at times very frustration, i tried running all UK leagues and the other stop legues in europe spain, italy etc but i/'ve had to revert back to just the uk legues as it runs so much slower

Very frustrating at times. It kinda sucks when it doesn't make a difference if you're running one league/country or several.

My first try on this game i was running one league, and in August/September it started to lag already. Something that i didn't really expect on a brand new computer where only the important services are running while playing the game.

My biggest surprise though was that the resolution have everything to do with the performance on my game (just talking about how i experience it on my computer). I don't play many other new games. The newest i have and play is Assassins Creed. No problem running it in high detail on 1920x1200 resolution. But FM can't handle it as well. If me guess is correct then 800x600 (approximately) in windowed mode is the best resolution for me. No lag or jerkiness, and the performance is perfect. The game just flies. That i found out last night.

Why does the resolution control the overall performance on FM09 on my computer? Is there something i have missed, misunderstood or simply something that i'm unaware of?

Archived