Set Pieces: How much attention do you give them?

How much attention do you give set pieces?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How much attention do you give set pieces?

• A lot, usually a good few minutes before every match
    • Some, a quick glance before a match
    • A little, every few weeks
    • Hardly ever, a few times a season at most
    • None at all

Now obviously a new set piece editor has been requested many times but I just wanted to ask a few questions about the current system (if that's the right word?).

Basically, how much attention do you give to them? Personally I set them all up when I start a new game then hardly ever touch them but I suspect I'm missing out on quite a bit by doing that. As for throw ins I don't touch them at all. Do you change them before every match? Do you study player attribute when deciding on what to do?

Most of all though I want to know if you see a big difference in the effectiveness of them when you spend time developing them, that is do you score a lot more goals and concede less? I know about the corner cheat but apart from that is there a marked difference between matches where you have put a lot of thought into the set pieces and matches where you haven't?

This is the area where the game needs biggest improvement.

i'd like to be able to set up routines, and assign players to run in differnet ways. very very simple at the moment.

This is the area where the game needs biggest improvement.

i'd like to be able to set up routines, and assign players to run in differnet ways. very very simple at the moment.

I agree, i'd love to be able to set up some more complex free quick routines.

That said though, i did score from a fantastically worked free kick today. The ball went to four players in no time.

Once you have a good set peice tactic, there is no need to keep looking at it every game.

There are plenty of threads in the tactics forum on this topic.

For instance, at corners you really only need one player who can jump and head the ball set to challenge the goalkeeper and you will score lots of goals. Keep other players out of the way.

The jumping and heading ability will depend on which league you are playing in. I was Bath in Blue Square South. Managed to get a player on loan from parent club who could jump at 14 and head at 15, he scored 38 goals in a season which made the difference about being promoted .

Once you have a good set peice tactic, there is no need to keep looking at it every game.

I use the same set-piece tactic, yes, but I spend some time every match making sure that I have the right people in the right jobs, depending on whom I've selected for the days' match.

For example, my starting right back has an 18 Jumping and 18 Heading, so he winds up "Near Post" on throw-ins and corners .. but if I put his backup in, due to injury, rotation, or suspension .. the replacement has like an 8 and a 10. Suddenly, my "good" throw-in tactic is ineffective, so I'll push things around a bit.

Then, if I bring him in off the bench in the 70th minute, I adjust it all back.

I've also found that one of the keys to success against the 4-2-4 is having all four of my defensemen set to "Stay Back" on throws, corners, and free kicks. That, alone, seems to prevent a lot of quick-counter goals.

(Wannabe, what you're describing is "the Corner cheat" the OP was referring to: one player on Challenge GK, everybody else told to stay out of the box and stay out of his way. Not everybody likes to use it - my corner tactic, for example, has one player each on Near Post Flick, Challenge GK, Stand on Far Post, Attack Near Post, Attack Far Post and Outside Area .. with others on Back If Needed and Stay Back, depending on the match situation. With that, I get realistic behavior from my corner kicks: we're a threat to score, but no one individual dominates, and I don't score often enough that it feels unrealistic to me.)

I would love to have the ability to set up, for example, several different corner routines, with a percentage change between them: 50% of the time we try routine #1, but 33% of the time we go to routine #2, and 17% of the time we try routine #3...

I also very much want better control over free kicks. For example, playing as L.A. Galaxy, I have Beckham. Great Free Kick taker, great Long Shots, especially for the level of play. There honestly isn't anybody else on my squad even close. However, for indirect free kicks, he sometimes wastes all of that by being the taker .. and tapping it four inches for somebody else to strike on goal. C'mon! If we're going to run that tap-and-shoot, I want somebody else doing the tap, and Becks taking the shot!

Archived