Which Players Can't You Let Go Of?

• 3 months later...

I'll start things of. Clarence Seedorf. My favorite player and i can't help but keep him forever, he's my Captain (And Hollands). It's gone to the point where i edit his age whenever he's reaching 35+ back to 16. The board even sold him without my permission for £45 Mill, Luckily i could offer him a year extention on his contract.

So, which players can't you let go of?

I signed Javier Saviola for my Man. United team in the 2008/2009 January transfer window out of desperation for a striker. I only intended him to provide back-up and then gradually fade away, maybe lasting until the end of 2009/2010 before I would sell him. I signed Sergio Aguero in the summer before the current season (2009/2010) began, and he's been playing well. And I still have Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez. In other words, Saviola was a stopgap addition to my squad.

However, he's been such a resounding success that I've just renegotiated his contract to last for five years. There's no way I could let him go now. The fans love him and he only cost me £5m.

I'll start things of. Clarence Seedorf. My favorite player and i can't help but keep him forever, he's my Captain (And Hollands). It's gone to the point where i edit his age whenever he's reaching 35+ back to 16. The board even sold him without my permission for £45 Mill, Luckily i could offer him a year extention on his contract.

So, which players can't you let go of?

I bet his stats are awesome now, Mental stats develop towards the end of a players career, so editing him back to 16 must make him a super player right out of the box.

I have a real issue letting Micah Richards go, he is my first choice defender right up until his stats start to decline. He is 31 in my current game and his physical stats are still holding steady, but i think he only has one and a half seasons left in him. I can't find many fast defenders with the quality to replace him.

If you've seen my other post, you it's Marcus Tudgay. He's been a very important player for me over the years and has become a Wednesday legend. I don't play him very often but I'm trying to keep him until he becomes a coach.

The other player is my keeper in my Wednesday squad. In my first game as manager, I had to play huge rivals Sheff Utd away from home in the cup. I just couldn't bare to lose. Having said that, I was down 2-1 in the 92nd minute. Up goes my keeper and scores the equaliser! If it wasn't for him, we would have gone down that season too. He's 35 now, and gets some starts but Im hoping he retires soon so he can get a coaching contract too.

Managing Bremen I will never willingly sell Diego. If my board sell him without my permission I'll burn their new Rehhagel Park stadium to the ground before resigning in protest and fleeing the country before the police catch up with me :p

Sergio Hellings, George Boyd and Radwan Hamed have been with me for around 7-8 years. Hamed is just reaching his peak at 27 while Hellings and Boyd at 31 and 30 respectively are still key players in my side.

With us just being promoted to the Championship, I fear sooner rather than later they will have to step aside.

Guest roberto922

Aguero, had him since 2010, now in 2020 he's 32 (I think) and I still play him regularly while Jose Baxter sits on the sidelines, a 30 year old that's ****ed off at being chucked out the team because of his age ;)

David James is still no'1 in my Wolves team, and it is 2012. he is older than Moses (!!!) but still has decent stats. He has outlived a lot of 'replacements' who eventually became bored and wanted to leave for first team football.

But i have just signed two new guys as Jammo's stats have started to fall.

Ah, great idea for a thread.

The number one player I am obsessed with and can't let go of, if I ever get to manage him again that is, is Ronaldo, the real Ronaldo, the phenomenon. I remember back in FM 05 I got him to sign for my Levski side somehow, he was about 36 and he was the best player ever for me. Even when he gets to his late thirties, I try my best to play him in every game I can. Haven't managed a big enough side to bring him to me though since lower league management is what I do in 99% of my FM saves.

There was also a few other small names but golden players that will always be in my greatest moments of my FM careers. :D

Rangers FC

Barry Ferguson: Hes the captain and with his real life commitment to the team i cant bring myself to let him go even when hes hitting 32+ a few seasons into the game (He was injured for the last 3 or so months of last season, but played through the pain and only just missed out winning it all, now hes out for 4 months)

Kris Boyd: Hes Rangers best striker and IRL didnt get played a lot last season but still managed to be our top scorer and won us both scottish cups single handed, i just cant bare to keep him on the bench.

Alan McGregor: IRL 2nd last match against Celtic last season and he gets a bad ankle injury and can hardly stand upright... his best defender gets send off for hand ball and he refuses to go off the pitch for treatment... saves the penalty and can barely walk forward to kick the ball up the pitch. (though unfortunately in the game he always gets too ambitious and demands to leave... going to edit his loyalty to its deserved status).

I picked up a Romanian DM newgen called Tiberiu Dolha with FC Bayern and he was outstanding, I took him with me to Spurs and Barca, but had to say goodbye when I left Barca for VFB Stuttgart and couldn't afford his wages or the transfer fee :(

Mostly my regens. I could list many but there wouldn't be much point.

On FM 2008, I have taken Iacob (DM) wherever I have gone (Villa, Fulham,QPR,Athletico) despite him being only decent he has a good record of injuring people (as does Torres (DM) who was at Athletico when I joined in 2012).

This guy seems to be in most of my posts at the moment so why not another - Van Der Vaart!

And at the moment it's David Lee, an Irish striker I signed for Worcester. He single handedly won me the Blue Square North after the 1st season!

Not so much in 8.0.2 as I find that when a player hits 31 or 32 they start to decline a little too rapidly to keep playing regularly, but in my original FM 2008 save (unpatched, where players we're still good up until about 34 or so), it was Berbatov. Regularly kept players like Stancu, Vantaggiato and Podolski out of the side, despite being around 34. When he was 33, he scored about 34 league goals in about 38 league appearances or something ridiculous like that. Don't have the save any more though.

EDIT: In FM2006, as Chelsea, I kept Lampard playing until about 36. Players had ridiculously good attributes in FM2006 even when approaching 37/38. I remember Wayne Bridge being so incredibly good when he was 34, as was Paulo Ferreira, with attributes like Tackling 20, Composure 20, Crossing 18 etc. Physical attributes hardly declined either (Pace 16, Acceleration 16 or so for Bridge). Those were the days :D

Lloyd Doyley for Watford, in real life he's a supercool right back with extremely limited technical ability (most of the time this is very amusing), but is sound defensively, somewhat of a cult hero at the club i've still not let him go in 2010 on my Watford game where after surviving my first season back in the top flight i've got the funds/squad to establish the side in the Premiersh*t. In all honesty Lloyd should be nowhere near the side if i've got such ambitions.

I've added Villa to my Fav's aswell. Instead of Editing his age, I always edit his stats when they drop rapidly. He's now 43 and is on fire as always. Shall i try and see if i can reach Triple Digits. :D

In my Q.P.R side, most of the players who helped me gain promotion and subsequent success have earned reverential status. Particularly;

Brian McLean: Captain fantastic. Was irreplaceable until my side started to build greater ambitions and his age was taking its toll.

Diego Buonanotte: Still in my first team squad aged 31. Consistent brilliance, goals from nothing when they were most needed, and a model professional attitude make him the single greatest player have ever managed in CM/FM.

Andre-Pierre Gignac: Signed for £11.5m after all my best players were poached by the big teams, went on to be better than any of his predecessors. Scored better than a goal every other game. Was named Q.P.R fans' player of the year for 4 consecutive seasons.

From previous games;

Danny Haynes: The Goal-Machine. I have tried to sign him every game since he became a legend for my Southampton side in FM07. Won the premiership golden boot despite playing for a team struggling against relegation, almost single-handedly saving us from the straight drop. Became The Saints' all-time top goalscorer as the side became a dominant force in european football. The fairytale was completed when, aged 34 he started on the bench in the champions league final against Real Madrid. Despite spending most of the past 2 seasons as a backup player due to the two best young prospects in world football coming of age, Haynes' still showed the old touch when called upon on odd occasions. As the game finished 2-2 in normal time, Wonderkid regen Federico Foti suffered an injury with 5 minutes left of extra-time and had to be replaced by Haynes. As Real attacked with just a minute to go, the ball was cleared by the defence up to the halfway line where Haynes collected it and defied his age by skinning two defenders on him, rounding the keeper and slotting home the Champions league winning goal. Legend.

I take Lauri Dalla Valle with me everywhere I go. He rarely has a bad game a fits into all my tactics perfectly, one of those people who always get the job done and always pops up with a goal in big games.

Archived