The relationship between players when tutoring

I've recently started to do more and more tutoring and have so far been pretty lucky in the fact that most players have got on and it has been a success. I do however have two players who dislike each other because the tutoring didn't go so well.

So, now when you set up a tutor, you get a couple of messages. The first saying what the young player thinks of being tutored by the older fella and the second the opposite way around. Here lies my problem, and suggestion, actually. Why can we not ask each player how they would feel about being tutored and tutoring the other player? I know that it takes away the risk of the tutor but IRL, the manager would surely ask them both how they felt about it and then set it up if they both were ok with it? If they weren't, then it wouldn't be setup.

I think thats how it should work, anyone agree?

Yeah, that's a great idea Neji. I don't get any of my players tutored anymore because of how many young stars I've had to let go because of them disliking their tutors :(

And yeah it would also make the tutoring system more realistic.

Yea seems like a good idea. Countless times my players clash, even if sometimes the player opnion has "Thinks Player X is a good influence on the team" - So I have player X tutor the player that thinks this, then the message reads "Player Y doesn't feel he can benefit from player X"

Huh?? :D

• 4 months later...

I've been lucky enough to have my tutoring go down well, despite initial cautiousness from the youngsters. But this definitely makes more sense that what's currently employed. Still, it should remain that just because the youngster says he doesn't want to do it after you ask him doesn't mean you can't force it through as you do right now.

As someone who uses tutoring quite a bit I like this idea, but feel that it could also have some drawbacks.

The reasons I like the idea are obvious, and have already been mentioned. The only reservation I would have about implementing this is that it could make this feature too easy to use and then a little boring.

If you can always find out before hand who would be happy being tutored by who, and vice verse, that you'd always know that the tutoring you set up would work. For me this would take something away from this part of the game. Although it's frustrating when players either refuse to be tutored, or end up disliking another player because of tutoring, for me this is all part of the fun and adds another dimension to your job as manager.

So yes, it would probably be more realistic doing it the way Neji has suggested. But would it be as exciting and as much fun? For me possibly not.

I agree chopper, well to a certain extent.

I don't think it's fun when your 17 year old cannot see the benefit of being tutored by the worlds best player in his position. It annoys me, because it's hard to tell.

I do have some ideas though to 'keep the fun', just for you chopper ;)

1) If they don't like the idea, they can still be annoyed that you suggested it.

2) If the players are two totally different people, then they can still fall out over the course of the tutor. Example - my 17 year old would be honoured to be taught by my #1 BUT if they have to totally different personalities, they can still find it a waste of time and fall out.

I'd also like a change to be implemented with this feature. Whether the players agrees to it or not should depend more (not entirely) on reputation. I'm sure Theo Walcott would never have thought that being tutored by Henry would be a waste of time. Similar to my 17 year old, yes it could happen but it happens way too often IMO.

Some good ideas there Neji, particularly in terms of reputation. I definitely like the idea that a youngster should feel honoured to be trainined by some top professionals.

I much prefer the idea that the players will be more inclined to give it a go, but depending on personalities it could still fail. This makes it more realistic and intuative for the user, while still retaining the risk element and a certain amount of unpredictability (if that's even a word).

I also think that the attribute 'Influence' could play more of a part in the success of tutoring. A player with high influance, particularly the club captain, should be more successful when it comes to tutoring. Even to the point where a younger player who has rejected tutoring (or failed to make it work) from other players sits up and takes notice when the club captain is tutoring them.

You know, some suggestions are just so damned sensible, it takes your breath away!!

At least give them a chance to decline with no ill effects. It's soul destroying seeing that message from the spotty kid saying he sees no benefit from being tutored by a living legend and not being able to do a damned thing until the sentence is completed with your star player's morale crushed the day before a cup final :mad:

:thup::thup::thup: from me!

I also think that the attribute 'Influence' could play more of a part in the success of tutoring. A player with high influance, particularly the club captain, should be more successful when it comes to tutoring. Even to the point where a younger player who has rejected tutoring (or failed to make it work) from other players sits up and takes notice when the club captain is tutoring them.

Yeah, I like that idea. If tutoring goes well, it may also be an idea to make the guy who did the tutoring be more inclined to stay in the game in a coaching role.

At least give them a chance to decline with no ill effects. It's soul destroying seeing that message from the spotty kid saying he sees no benefit from being tutored by a living legend and not being able to do a damned thing until the sentence is completed with your star player's morale crushed the day before a cup final :mad:

Thats another thing I dislike about it. Once you set the tutor on course, you can't really stop it unless you move one of those players out. It doesn't really make that much sense to me.

Yeah, I like that idea. If tutoring goes well, it may also be an idea to make the guy who did the tutoring be more inclined to stay in the game in a coaching role.

Love that idea, an influential player successfully tutoring players at the club which then encourages him to take up coaching :thup:

Archived