Other football manager games

I couldn't get it working either. But I got a box out I hadn't touched in 4 years and USM'98 was in it :D. That's getting installed tonight.
I couldn't get it working either. But I got a box out I hadn't touched in 4 years and USM'98 was in it :D. That's getting installed tonight.

Ooooohhhh boy! What a game!! I cant manage to get it working on XP tho, if you find out how please please please tell me!!

• 3 months later...

I believe there is a real lack of Football manager games out at the moment - I remember in the good old spectrum days when there where plenty of manager games to choose from but now there only seems to be Fifa,CM and FM which is a real shame.

Anyway I have been trawling the internet looking for other manager games and I came across this game http://www.futboldeluxe.com/english/index.htm it is called football deluxe and after reading about it on gamespot it seems it was supposed to be released q1 2005 so obviously something went drastically wrong somewhere along the line. It is a pity because it looks as though it had potential.

Anyone know any other manager games that are out now or in development at the moment - of course FM is the best but its a while till 09 is to be released and I need a new fix of managing!! Oh and I do know about premier manager which is due out Aug 08

Also what has happened to lma manager?

I'll give it a try as well. It's always nice to see another one, regardless of the actual quality of the game... there's just so few of them.

There weren't more than two games of note in the genre since I think 2000... and even then, the other two were barely passable.

Last time FM had any real competition was in '98 or so, with USM and On The Ball, and maybe FISOM (which may have came out a few years before, I'm not sure).

I'll give it a try as well. It's always nice to see another one, regardless of the actual quality of the game... there's just so few of them.

*edit* Can anyone put it somewhere other than Filefront? I'm pretty much unable to download anything from there...

There weren't more than two games of note in the genre since I think 2000... and even then, the other two were barely passable.

Last time FM had any real competition was in '98 or so, with USM and On The Ball, and maybe FISOM (which may have came out a few years before, I'm not sure).

Lma will come out in 09. Lma 08 was just on mobile!

I Don't think that is correct, if you go to LMA forums the opinion is that LMA is no more. It's a shame but if that is the case then SI should consider buying their 3D code and incorperating it in the FM match engine because while the match play wasn't up to much the graphics were very good, especially the stadiums, although all generic they were pretty accurate regarding size and style, far better than Fifas.

I Don't think that is correct, if you go to LMA forums the opinion is that LMA is no more. It's a shame but if that is the case then SI should consider buying their 3D code and incorperating it in the FM match engine because while the match play wasn't up to much the graphics were very good, especially the stadiums, although all generic they were pretty accurate regarding size and style, far better than Fifas.

Nah...we don't need 3D graphics. Least not yet. The fuss of matching up LMA style ones to the FM match engine would be a nightmare I think.

What was the name of the series of management games tailored for individual clubs? I remember my baby brother getting one for Hudderfield Town. You could only be the one team, and it wasn't amazingly advanced but it was quite addictive. The match engine was bit like commentry only but with pictures of you team and key players for certain parts. So if Andy Booth scored you would see a picture of him celebrating. Very quick game, you could whizz through seasons on it. Fun for a bit at least.

There was USM as well but I'm pretty sure that's defunct now. Have to admit I think it was pretty awful.

Any of the New Star Soccer franchise is pretty good. You're not the manager though you're the player. More of a Football RPG than anything else I guess.

Nothing compares to FM, apart from Soccer Boss on the Acorn Electron :-)

Maybe it's just me but the sheer amount of depth and strategy in FM is unrivaled.

It's as deep and engaging as you want it to be.

With other management games i find it's too easy to lose that sense of immersion in the game, something

that FM excels at.

I also think the 2d match engine is great, watching my little tiddlywinks score a cracking goal is just the icing on the cake.

tbh i like FM the way it is - i mean i dont really like the idea of having an lma match engine/graphics in FM.

Dont get me wrong lma was great in its time, i use to own every version from the first lma on ps1 to lma 2007 on the 360, but imo lma had lots of things wrong with its engine, then i started playing FM, then after that there was no going back to lma.

FM might have some problems, but imo is still a quailty game.

Also to original poster - maybe have a look at some older manager games (i know there outdated but still some are good) like Premeier manager 3 - Excellent game

Nothing compares to FM, apart from Soccer Boss on the Acorn Electron :-)

Maybe it's just me but the sheer amount of depth and strategy in FM is unrivaled.

It's as deep and engaging as you want it to be.

With other management games i find it's too easy to lose that sense of immersion in the game, something

that FM excels at.

I also think the 2d match engine is great, watching my little tiddlywinks score a cracking goal is just the icing on the cake.

Acorn electron.

Man that takes me back...........

Ultimate Soccer Manager was amazing, but it was just a fun game. Championship Manager and Football Manager have always aspired to being simulations. Championship Manager 2008 was a huge step in the right direction for the EIDOS team but it's still absolutely miles away from competing with FM.

i was playing premier manager 3 and on the ball league edition on my amiga 1200 until about a year ago, both are excellent. premier manager is/was still being developed at least, i saw a playstation version made a few years ago in the shop recently.

Never mind that, what about the commodore amiga and the game "tracksuit Manager" that was a brilliant international game! the only problem i had was when i picked my native scotland, they were always pish! seeing Ally mccoist's shooting described as below average or richard gough's defending as poor used to break my heart! i always ended up being West Germany or England and then i would play it soo much that most of my 100 strong pool had 255 caps each!

Never mind that, what about the commodore amiga and the game "tracksuit Manager" that was a brilliant international game! the only problem i had was when i picked my native scotland, they were always pish! seeing Ally mccoist's shooting described as below average or richard gough's defending as poor used to break my heart! i always ended up being West Germany or England and then i would play it soo much that most of my 100 strong pool had 255 caps each!

i have a tracksuit manager on my amiga which lets you play league teams, it is quite a good managment game not brilliant though.

Premier Manager 98 and 99 on the PS were pretty good - even if the results seemed to come out at random. I still remember playing a League Cup 2 leg tie, losing 0-6 first leg and winning 7-0 in the second...

LMA then tookover (on consoles) and I got every one until 2 or 3 years ago.

another idea, i havent tryed it yet because i downloaded so many other games. i joined gametap and got sensible soccer 2006, like i said i havent tryed it yet but i remember the amiga sensible soccer games had a management section so the 2006 version is bound too. by the way this isnt piracy gametap is one of those sites where you pay a subscription and the site owner pays the developer of the games. there is a free section on gametap as well which i am using.

If i remember right i had Tracksuit Manager on my Speccy and another game which was a corker called The Double.

Best thing i remember about it was unlike other management games during that period. you didn't have a "Please Wait" message for ten mins, of course the game was really good for it's time.

After the Speccy, I had a megadrive and i remember playing Premier Manager a fair bit.

Fifa Manager has a lot of potential, but it feels like you're playing a cross between a management game and the sims. And it's not quite as realistic-loads of games end up 10-1, and the Conference doesn't have real players.

On the other hand presentation is great-you get a magazine with loads of interviews and news, a 3D match engine (with the option to view text only, or just view the final score) and you'll get messages saying something like "Cristiano Ronaldo bought a new dog today. His morale has risen by 10. However, he forgot to turn up to training as he was too busy playing with it." I once got one saying that three of my players had stayed up late in a nightclub after a European game. You can also choose a family tree for your manager, make him gay if you want, and do such menial tasks as playing golf with your chairman. And there's the stadium building. It's possible to build a stadium with a capacity of one million, I believe.

If FM had Fifa Manager's presentation, it would be an amazing game.

The one and only football management game, fun or otherwise will always be the Championship Manager series in the Amiga days through to what we have now, Football Manager series. The Champ Man by Eidos cannot touch FM.

CM Amiga and FM are just absolutely top drawer stuff - total immersion, and getting better every year.

Basically I don't need any other game on any other platform, ever. I am currently in season 2022 and still loving it.

Well done SI.

I can't install footy deluxe. Ah well.

I couldnt get it to work either - it said something like the game minimum ram requirement has not been met and that I need 128mb.

The thing is I have 4gb - lol

Maybe it just doesnt work with Vista 64

can you imagine the hassle of modelling all 200,000 players for a 3d engine? no thanks, im fine with the blobs, i play with only commentary anyway.

I would imagine it could be linked in with FaceGen... BodyGen? ;)

theres this sick free footy manager game i was addicted to a little while ago called

http://www.thunderbear.com/footy/

unfortunely the game only lasted 100 years , more than fm tho lol. better regens. Its a very very old game with players like Gaza still in it and it runs on DOS type thing. but it worked on XP for me.

its the best game ive played apart from fm. i litteraly was so addicted i didnt sleep for like 2 days and stayed up the whole nights just playing it, and the time just whizzed by too i couldnt take my eyes off it.

yea i highly recommend it!

theyve stoped making future versions tho

God, the LMA match engine was like something out of a nightmare. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

It's a shame but if that is the case then SI should consider buying their 3D code and incorperating it in the FM match engine because while the match play wasn't up to much the graphics were very good, especially the stadiums, although all generic they were pretty accurate regarding size and style, far better than Fifas.

Total pants, there are many things required for Football Manager, and at the moment the massive workload for a 3D engine aint one of them far too much work for boys (and girls) doing an already good job but as always there are repairs and replacements for next year and LMA only has a 3D engine to take away from the fact the game play is pish.

can you imagine the hassle of modelling all 200,000 players for a 3d engine? no thanks, im fine with the blobs, i play with only commentary anyway.

Heh, the biggest advantage FIFA Manager has over FM is that you can do instant result matches... I play it almost exclusively in that mode. :)

Anyways, I got some sort of error when installing FD 2004, but I can still run the game.

It looks rather nice, has some fairly well done screens, but of course the match engine is bad, as is the match resolution. You only get shown (in text) a few actions, and the match is over. Maybe there's a more detailed match view, but I haven't found it yet.

As a free game, it's nice. Competition to FM... not even remotely.

Archived