SI, Why the fudge are these forums private?

He means you can't browse without signing in. Personally I would find it off putting if I was going to sign up but that's just me. I like to have a look around before I sign up to a forum. And then ther are those who are ultra paranoid about the net and would never join a forum where they have to give personal details particularly a legitimate email account.

Oh right i get you, i think its on purpose. I dont think they want like 200 guests reading topics. They want people to sign up and get involved.

It can't be on purpose, it would be an awful decision to make it all private. What about people who just need help with their game but don't want to post? Quests reading a forum can't do any harm, idiots posting on it on the other hand can and will so I really see no point in forcing a registration.

Well, if it was not on purpose surely they would of done something about it by now mate?

Perhaps, but they might just have got something mixed up. I'm sure there's quite a few issues that they're still working on with the new software.

All I'm saying is I don't think they'd make it permanently private on purpose as all it would do is complicate things for FM players who would like to read the forums but for some reason don't want to sign up here. I'm fairly sure it wasn't private until recently, too.

Almost all forums require a legitimate email account. I like it. May help towards keeping the riff raff out :)

I agree. I think in the long run it will help the forum sort the men from... the other men, and really keep out people that are here for the wrong reasons.

I do think it is annoying having to sign up just to read a few posts on how to sort out a problem you might be having, I mean I've got countless accounts with forums for stuff I don't even need anymore, but imo it does encourage people to become more involved with things if you have to sign up, for instance you might be able to help someone else out and the only way to do that is to post, ergo, registration is needed

• SI Staff

When the boards first launched, we allowed guests to view, and post. Unfortunately, this was abused, hence we turned off guests. Looks like we've been too harsh, but we're not exactly used to this new forum software yet.

So when we've worked out the right options, we'll turn guest viewing back on. That's for pointing it out, as we hadn't been informed yet.

How can not register members abuse a forum? all read the same thread and hit refresh constantly?

What Miles was saying is that you used to be able to post as a Guest - i.e. anonymously - which is ripe for abuse, then they turned that off and only allowed viewing as a guest.

But as this is new software and it takes time to get used to, as Miles said, they'll no doubt be doing some tweaking.

Archived