The Big Club to Small Club Challenge

Seeing the 'Small Club to Big Club Challenge Thread', I was wondering if it was possible to do the opposite - take a 'Big 4' club and bring them to the depths of Non-league.

It would be a bit easy to completely manage the team, you would just field 11 goalkeepers!

So, here are the rules of the challenge

You can only use the 'Big 4' (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United)

You can only be in control of the club from 7th July (game start date), and you must resign as that manager before the first competitive match (friendlies don't count as competitive, incase you're unsure). Then, you holiday the game until 1ST JUNE, where you retire that manager, and make a new one to become the manager of the same club, and the process repeats until you feel that club is at the lowest it can be, i.e. non playable leagues

You must league all the leagues in England, and that is the only leagues that should be loaded. No additional nations should be loaded either. Player attributes box should remain unticked

The 8.0.2. patch should be used for this as well

Once you're in charge of the club, there are no limits. You can buy, sell, terminate, hire, sack, release anyone for any fee you want.

At the end of each season, a screenshot of the league table should be posted. Any more screenshots are strongly encouraged, so we all have a rough idea of how you are approaching this

Anything else you're unsure about, then ask in here

Not a bad idea for a challenge, but the fact that you retire each season then start a fresh, pretty much takes the "challenge" out of it. It will be easy to do that.

What would be harder, is being the manager throughout the entire demise of the club without getting sacked. So for example, you need to reach top 4, you finish 6th, throw games if you must to achieve this. the next season the same, the next season the board may only ask you for a EURO place, so you can now afford 8th or 9th place, and so on down the leagues.

Right, so I am about to resign as Liverpool manager once I have posted the current standings of the squad.

I decided to sell most of the teams players for 20k. Here are the transfers that happened:

bigclubtolittleclubchalhv7.th.jpg

As you can see, I signed Sam Hewson for £28.5mill because that is all the tranfser money that I had, he is also on a £125k a week deal and had over a £6mill signing on fee.

Here is a screen shot of the current expediture of the club:

bigclubtolittleclubchalyq3.th.jpg

As you can see, alot of money has been spent on singing on fees, this is because I have given alot of 'no hopers' increadibly high wages. 8 players are now on £125k a week deals, 3 players on £105k a week deals and there are 5 more players that are on deals between £20k and £105k a week deals. All of these players were given the maximum amount signing on fee to try and reduce the money that the club has and hopefully send them into debt.

The last screen shot shows how much money is being spent on wages in total:

bigclubtolittleclubchalho0.th.jpg

As you can see, the club is spending much more than they should be. This will hopefully result in the downfall of Liverpool Football Club.

I am now going to resign and holiday to 1st June 2008, will post screenshots of league standings etc when I get there :).

Okay, i've jut hit June 1st 2008 so here is the final Premiership Table:

bigclubtolittleclubchalon0.jpg

As you can see, Liverpool finished 15th and therefore avoided relegation which i'm too happy As you can see, my plan worked to send the club into administration but it still wasn't enough to get them relegated.

Here is their current squad:

bigclubtolittleclubchalbo4.jpg

They made one signing since I left which was Lauri Dalla Valle from JIPPO (?) for £85k

Just incase you are interested, Man Utd won the Community Shield on penalties after a 2-2 draw. Portsmouth won the League Cup, beating Blackburn 2-1. Chelsea won the FA Cup, becating Arsenal 1-0. Chelsea won the Champions Cup, beating Man Utd 1-0.

Can I just ask, is anybody else taking part in this challenge?

I am now going to create a new manager and take over Liverpool just like the rules state, I will retire my current manager. I will post again when all of my dealings are done and then I will resign before the first competitive game.

• 3 weeks later...

Im doing it with Chelsea at the moment.

Sold most of my players, and managed to get terry to cancel the contract. Got rid of all their potencial youth players and spend 50 million on a young "star" from cheltenham town. Tried to push them into administration too as above. I also sacked as many coaches as he would let me and asked to expand the stadium to push funds a little lower. Also gave them 0 training and 0 friendlies so they arent ready for the new season.

Will post screen shots when i have them. GEtting them relegated lower after 1ere league might be harder though...

When one does this challenge, you notice how pushed well respected teams are.

Chelsea have been sold by abramovitch, and bought by a new guy. Wage bill is 1.2 million over what it should be. I get a nice transfer kitty and spend it all on a player, but am restricted to wages i can offer him. Man from weston super mare. I offer them 15million for a 32 year old striker, who is usless. He demandes 13k a week wages from me! thats a step up from his current 240£ per week. Its harder to spend 15 million than u think.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me brave, call me crazy, call me an Arsenal fan...

but I'm going to send United, Liverpool AND Chelsea down. All at the same time.

Sure I'll hit a bottleneck once we reach the lower leagues, but that's okay.

As an added bonus, I've chosen Grays as the beneficiary club. I chose someone one league below the lowest, so a single bad season won't see them dissapear totally. So, who are they? They are the lucky sods who will receive all that dirty American and Russian money currently poluting the premiership! I'll also track their progress.

edit: messed up my timing., Chelsea and United are still very rich dispite having ahrdly any players. They may survive. Poor grays only have 30 mil :-(

Always next year.

Harryseaess, just seen you sold Kewell for £20,000, he's about worth that in real life isn't he hehehe ...enjoying the look of this challenge might give it a try shame there isn't the option to not get sacked because then you could do it all the way without having to resign every year

Doh! Quick bit of advice.

Make sure you're not processing in "minimum", or their reputations alone will ensure they do well anyway.

Yes. I just wasted a season and a half.

Still recoverable though i'm sure. I'll just be later than some to the dissapearing.

Season two:

In febuary, Liverpool were near the foot of the table. United and Chelsea were top 4 though...

Then i realised i had low detail so reputation was king. Unticked that and they went into freefall. Liverpool survived by a goal. The others lost out on europe. They are all over as big teams!

killthemalls2.jpg

Grays? 6th. Just missed the playoffs. Building a nice team though. Next year they have to go up.

Archived