what happened to all the controversy?

I remember back in CM 99/00 players would leave the team for the rest of the season because they were upset with something, people would get upset reasonably easy and play like garbage etc. And in more recent versions (FM05 etc) incidents like punching refs and the like were reasonably common and used to brighten up my games. And there are countless other examples of players behaving badly.

But in the recent two versions, I have yet to see any of this. I know they all still exsit (i have had players miss training for example) but it just isnt as common as it used to be, and as a result the game just doesnt seem as interesting anymore....

Does anyone long for the good old days of CM? Does anyone want more controversy? I know i do :)

Oh yeah on pitch brawls back in some of the older CM's were also great, but i havent heard of one happening since.

Ah I might be an anarchist, but it does make the game vagely more entertaining when things start to get a little repetitive.

I know that they had to tone down the players punching each other in FM07 because it was happening every other match to some people. I have yet to see an icident of the sort in 10 seasons in FM08, I have a few players that are pretty aggressive. Worse I have seen is a player kicking out at another one.

I do miss the old fashioned punch ups, they happen in real life, so they should happen in the game. I think if they happen in a game in your league you should also get a news item about it.

it can't be done because SI is against all forms of violence and racism... but it would be better if you had more problems within your team ( players disliking each other more , or they have personal problems or smthing) after a few seasons it just gets.... well not boring , but same...

Ha ha yeah i suppose it would look a little suss if a heap of the little dots ganged up on a player of a different race in a brawl, even if it was incidental....

But yeah because we have the match engine now, I see it as all the more reason to bring back the punchups. Now we can see the fights, grab the popcorn and enjoy. Hell, i see it as a reason to go into a 3D match engine all on its own!

i would love to see 22 little dots all run into the middle and have a ruckus.. maybe even the sub dots could run on as well.

:D That made me laugh out loud. I say add a poll to this thread or start a new one. That would be pretty funny.

Ha ha yeah i suppose it would look a little suss if a heap of the little dots ganged up on a player of a different race in a brawl, even if it was incidental....

But yeah because we have the match engine now, I see it as all the more reason to bring back the punchups. Now we can see the fights, grab the popcorn and enjoy. Hell, i see it as a reason to go into a 3D match engine all on its own!

3D for hitting/knocking the ref to the ground. They could get Paul Alcock to wear one of them suits with the balls on them so as to accurately model how a professional ref falls down :D

This may sound incredibly odd but i'd love to have the whole matchday simulated using the match engine.... i'd love to see my little dots get off the team bus, scuttling around the changerooms, heading off to the toliets etc...... i could even set "tactics" such as when they should have lunch and when to go to the toliet as these may effect the players later on in the match.....but that sounds a little too much the sims I think :p

But there definetly needs to be more controversy within the matches themselves.... maybe even crowds invading the pitch? Virtual streakers? They wouldnt have to detract from the gameplay, just add a little bit of fun to it.

You cant make it too indepth or it will ruin it, maybe just a few new things like "Player A is requesting leave as his loved own is currently in hospital battling cancer" here you would choose to give them the holiday option.

Every scenario needs an option to solve it or try to solve it, it annoys me when players dislike each other and you cant just lock them in a room to work it out. I like my team to be a loyal hardworking bunch that would do anything for each other.

Recently I had notice in the league updates saying a player was going to take time of cause personal reasons, but dont know what the team did for him.

You cant make it too indepth or it will ruin it, maybe just a few new things like "Player A is requesting leave as his loved own is currently in hospital battling cancer" here you would choose to give them the holiday option.

Every scenario needs an option to solve it or try to solve it, it annoys me when players dislike each other and you cant just lock them in a room to work it out. I like my team to be a loyal hardworking bunch that would do anything for each other.

Recently I had notice in the league updates saying a player was going to take time of cause personal reasons, but dont know what the team did for him.

Your first option wouldn't happen because of legal reasons

On FM07 I had a player who had "personal problems" that I gave a leave of absence to, he returned after they were sorted out.

I think that was a great idea and would reflect losing a loved one with out the midfield of actually having to give a reason.

I actually think it is to do with the players personality hidden stats more than anything else at the moment.

I remember back in the CM days one of my players headbutting the referee and getting a 6 month global ban!

As for the dots, i've always thought it would be quite fun to see my dots jumping about on a little platform after winning a cup final. Could even go up the steps and shake hands with the Queen dot in the FA Cup final! Maybe thats a bit too far.

SI can't bring any of those old features back due to legal reasons. There used to be that feature back in the day that could be toggled on in notepad (I think it was called ARSE? something like that) that would let you see chairman's stats and have cool events happening on the field.

I had one game in FM2005 or Cm03/04 where Giggs got bitten by his dog and was out for more than a year. This was towards the end of his career so he ended up retiring because of a dog bite. I think this was before FM got more realistic with injuries.

I'd like to see more random events as long as they don't really affect the game that much. Punch ups are a bit much. I remember some people asking SI if they ever thought about having drugs in the game or at least players who get into trouble off the field but they said they will never put anything like that in it. I just use my imagination, if a player is unhappy and is underperforming it's because he's on the turps every night.

Yeah I realised the legal reason after I posted. I think it should only happen to regens, they start appearing from the start of the game anyways so would be cool.

Recently I had a notice saying my regen cannot play in the next match as he was seen out drinking last night.

I've still got a screengrab of Steffan Iversen taking me to tribunal because he felt he was harshly treated, then one of him having his contract terminated by the tribunal board!

First and only time I've ever seen it.

Ah yes the good old arse command! Is it still in the game? Debug mode?

I rememeber years ago when someone on this board told the youngest player in the game at the time, Mark Fotheringham I think it was, 13 years of age, had headbutted a 30 year or so old adversary in a reserve match. Now that's an attitude. :D

Archived