I'm really good at this game.. So I was fired!

Oh man, I need to let out some steam here. Please listen to my story, I'll make it short.

Me and three of my mates have been playing an online game at least once per week ever since fm 2008 came out. We all started out with being managers of low league teams in the English conference north/south. We all had squads with players who shouldn't really be allowed onto a footballfield, and no money for anything except the mortage on the clubhouse. We battled our way through the game, and we are now in our 9th season and I finally managed to get my team promoted to the English Premier league, as the first one of us.

Naturally we have all grown strong connections to each of our respective teams, as we have gone through lots of fierce competition and experienced many incredible moments along the way. We all still eagerly anticipate every monday evening where we all sit down and load up our FM save to continue this great game....

Well until yesterday, in my case.... It actually started out pretty cool. I was in the Premier, I had a good squad, including quite a few gems, I was 9th 1/3 into the season, overperforming my expectations by far. Had a good 28 mil £ in the bank, Just got a new contract. I was several players and staffs favorite person, and I was held in very high regard with the management.

I then get the news about a possible board takeover. The promise of bringing in new highprofile players, and a lot of cash got me even more excited. I had been dreaming of a stadium expansion for a long time, and it now semt possible.

A few weeks later the board takeover takes place and the new board bring in a new manager with them (Jose Mourinho) to take over the sqad... And so I am sacked.

WTF???

I have always been a fan of more realism in the CM/FM series. But this is a bit too much isn't it? Jose Mourinho as the new manager of Maidenhead? Naaah! I played this game intensively for such a long time, and I did everything right... and then all of a sudden GAME OVER!.. Well thank you very much. It seriously sucks. Of course I can not see this situation from an objective view, so I decided to post here and ask you the question:

Would you want this changed for the next version of FM? I'll surely vote for a change.

I am of course now looking to find a new club to manage, but it takes time. I was watching my mates play for more than 2 hours yesterday without a single job offer to me... not so nice. Of course my mates thinks it is the funniest thing ever, and are joking about offering me a job as a coach or scout in their club.... I find it difficult to laugh though. Im sure they would have a different opinion if it had happened to them instead.

Anyone tried something similar? Maybe there was a workaround that I missed somewhere, which could have allowed me to keep my job?

yeah. it happens. new board, new ideas.

although i've had a few board take overs and they've said their considering my postiion but i do well and they keep me. so it just seems to be one of those things.

im confused by mourinho taking over maidenhead though.

it usually takes him about 3 years to get a job from the start of the game because he's so picky. and in my current game it was to take over at porto again. 3 and a hlaf years out of the game for him.

If you beg your mates would they let you go back to the point before the board take over is complete?

If you have a save at that point and they are willing to let you reload, you can get the board to keep you.

The chance appears to be random, so reloading and continuing can get you to a point where you don't get sacked.

It happened to me on FM07 after I had got Tamworth into the top flight, I was gutted until i was told about the reload option. On my second reload they kept me in the job.

I know it is realistic that a new board would want a new manager, but in this case I think the hard core fans would go mental and kick up a right stink. let's face it, they would still be rotting in the lower league if it was not for you.

Do be warned, that in my Tamworth save, the new chairman was a complete dick with no idea on the value of my players, he accepted offers on most of my best prospects for way less than they were worth.

I ended up leaving and joining a rivel just to get away from him.

Archived