Strange things that have happened in your FM career

In the 2014 World Cup Spain, England, Italy, and Germany all get knocked out in the 2nd round. England fires Rafa Benitez, Spain fires Capello, Italy fires Spinelli and Germany gets rid of Magath.

One week later they've all hired new coaches:

Spain: Rafa

England: Magath

Germany: Spinelli

Italy: Capello

If at first you don't succeed, hire someone that didn't succeed either...

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In mine:

England sacked Capello after a poor Euro 2008, and appointed Sam Allardyce

Man City finished fourth in the Premier League in 08-09

Derby finished fifth in the same season

Man City beat eventual runaway league winners Liverpool 6-1 in the Carling Cup semi-final second leg

Elano moved from Man City to Man United

Nasri moved from Spurs to Arsenal

Atletico Madrid won La Liga

Fleetwood, at the time not even in the Blue Square North knocked Leeds out of the FA Cup.

Stoke knocked out Manchester United.

Agustin Delgado was brilliantly close to winning the premier league golden boot.

After winning 10 titles, 6 CLs, plus a bunch of cups - inc the World Cup and Euro with England - I was turned down for the Barce job in favour of Stuart Pearce. Who'd won nowt.

Club rivalry is too intense, methinks - I was at Chelski at the time.

In my 2017 game Gordon Strachan has managed Valencia, AC Milan and is currently at Liverpool.

Tottenham have been relegated in the first season in 2 of my games.

In one game the FA Cup was won by a non big 4 team in each of the first 4 seasons including Hull winning the first.

This is not really strange but Deportivo were taken over by a business tycoon. It is the first and only time I saw a business tycoon taking over anyone in the game.

Sweden won Euro 2008.

Man City added to big 4 to form a big 5 (2 top 4 finishes in a row and are current league leaders).

Gordon Strachan and Walter Smith are now managing in La Liga.

Mark Hughes managed Benfica before moving to Juventus.

Derby finish in UEFA spots, Reading winning the League cup twice in three years despite being in the championship the second time, Mclaren managing England until 2014, Glenn Hoddle getting the Chelsea then AC Milan job. Dirk Kuyt being good, which deserves a sentence of it's own.

I've seen Darren 'Sicknote' Anderton be a physio before. I figured he'd just familiarised himself with the ins and outs of sports medicine while on the physio's table.

Oh yes, reminded me that Louis Saha had 17 for Fitness training when he became a coach. As you said, he probably knows exactly how not to train.

- Nigeria just won the 2010 World Cup by beating Ivory Coast in the final

- Man United got relegated in my old game...they didn't fire the manager...so I cheated because that's absolutely ********...I basically "erased" his contract...and took them over.

-Arsenal won the Premiership for more than 10 seasons in a row

Scotland lose 1-0 to Spain in 2010 world cup Final.then Kevin Thomson wins world Footballer of the Year playing for Everton.

Roy Keane got Ireland to the Semis in same competition.

In my Current game 2013/2014 Man Utd havent qualified for Europe since 2009/2010.

I'm in season 45 right now, 45 seaons long the manager of one club , SALERNITANA, from serie C to Serie A, I'm a top team right now, 4 CL finals in a row. And i'm very rich, 2 billion euro's, 217 million euro transfer money, 317 million euro wages money (use 100 million euro for the wages)

What happend in my game:

@ PSV, FC Twente and Feyenoord relegated to the dutch first division

@ Jaap Stam manager Man Utd and England

@ Andre Ooijer manager Blackburn rovers

@ George Boateng manager Dutch national team.

@ Middlesborough and Liverpool dominate european football

@ England won the world cup 2022

@ Juventus 110 serie A matches unbeaten

@Juventus won the serie A 8 times in row (In these years I finished 2nd every year, last two season I (salernitana) finished 1st in the serie A)

@ chelsea bankrupt and now again they are a very rich club

@ Colombia won the world cup twice 2026 and 2030

@ Norway won the world cup in 2046, they have superb players

@ Finland won Euro 2044 (scandinavian team are very very good)

:thup:

Liverpool becoming a shambles of a side that had have qualified for the champions league in only two of the 8 seasons I've played and were almost relegated twice.

Wigan becoming a champions league side but then sacked their manager when they finished 6th one season, Koeman took over and they were relegated the next year.

Hearts winning the SPL, Rangers finishing 8th.

Norway winning Euro 2012.

USA getting to the final of the 2014 world Cup.

Gordon Strachan went to Bolton, won the Fa Cup, then went to Valencia and won the title.

Scotland producing one of the best young players I've ever seen!!

I am playing the oddest save right now with Liverpool.

I managed Cameroon to the Final of the World Cup, losing to Ivory Coast, who's semi-final opponent, Brazil sacked their manager for losing on penalties after having a goal incorrectly ruled offside in the 85th minute. I got the Brazil job a few days later.

In the same save Man Utd's highest finish has been sixth in the three seasons I've played and they've been as low as 14th(!). Chelsea missed the top 4 in season 2 leaving the top five like this:

Liverpool (me)

Arsenal (worth over quadruple any other club atm)

Man City

Reading (wtf!?)

Chelsea

Chelsea's manager wasn't fired, Reading's was.

Only in season 4 and already it's crazy :).

Forgot to mention Fergie still has his job after I (the manager of Liverpool FFS) knocked it back.

Manchester United have just been relegated to the Championship in 2015 after a shambles of a season. They've been dodgy for a few seasons after Fergie left and had a string of managers.

Then in February 2015 they appoint... wait for it ... William Gallas as their new manager. He lasts a magnificent 19 days before he is sacked because the players have lost confidence in him! The new manager cant keep them up.

Whats also entertaining is that at the start of the 2015-16 season they have just lost at home to York in the League Cup. Cant wait to see how far down they go!

Whats also entertaining is that at the start of the 2015-16 season they have just lost at home to York in the League Cup.

Now that one actually has happened IRL!

By the way, does anyone know how to put a smilie icon thing in the main message on this board?

Someone on this forum I go on posted a screenshot saying one of his players had cancer, and one of the options was

"Send to Morgue"

A hoax, tbh

Ronaldinho left Barcelona to join Sunderland.

As a scout.

Close to RL, but no cigar ;-)

P.S. I can't do the in-text smily either :-(

Gordon Strachan becomes AC Milan manager in 2013 and takes them to the heady heights of 12th three seasons in a row.

Strachan is sacked in 2017 and Milan bring in Billy Davies who continues the trend of 12th place finishes.

Strachan becomes Valencia manager and gets relegated.

Mart Poom retired and got the arsenal job ahead of me, even thought i won the league cup twice with newcastle.

Drogba , 34, plays for gretna or aberdeen in the year 2012

Capello got sacked from poor performances in the euro 2008, THEN RETIRED STRAIGHT AWAY

Napoli won the Serie A in 2010/11, finishing the five year streak of Inter. Lazio were second and Udinese were third.

Real Madrid is now a mid-table side, and Pepe wants to move to a bigger club. They fell dramatically: Champions in 2007/08, 3rd in 2008/09, 7th in 2009/10 and a whopping 10th in 2010/11. They are 7th right now with 16 games into the season. Now Zaragoza has became a leading side, La Liga Champions in 2009/10 and Champions League Quarter Finalists!

Right made a new save as Manchester United and its going great. My mate comes round and so i say he can join as a team and we can play on the same career on my laptop together so he adds himself as Aston Villa and is doing fine. Now, he is playing Liverpool in the League Cup 3rd Round and is losing 3-0 in the first half. He's see's the time and realises he has to get on his moped and get home before it gets too dark. I tell him i'll complete the match for him and then save and close till next time. So its half time and i decided that the game is definatly lost and so for a laugh i put Ben Foster up front and go all-out-attack. The half starts well with Saha (signed from me on the cheap :p) scores a penalty, BUT THEN Foster scores two very good goals to make the 90 minutes finish as 3-3 !!!! Unfortunately Kuyt scored in the 104 minute to knock him out but it was definately one of the strangest things to happen to me. My friend couldn't believe this when i showed him a few days later.

Actually that reminds me ... when playing the demo last September i was very bored (playing as Portsmouth) and so played young keeper Begovic and 2nd choice keeper Ashdown up front (Both were transfer listed and offered to clubs for £0 and everyone said no) in a friendly against Calta Vigo and we lost 1 -0. Anyway, after the match arsenal bid £1.5m for useless gk Begovic and i was incredibly happy !!

So those of my strangest goalkeeper-related incidents.

Some of the best for me have been the crazy goings on in Germany. Despite having an awesome all-regen team now, in the last round of World Cup Qualifying they somehow managed to lose twice to the Faroe Islands and Latvia, Ireland and (admittedly my) San Marino. Domestically, Magdeburg, who start the game in the Regional Division North and who came 15th in the first year, won the Bundesliga in 2022.

In a past game also, the Faroes had the best player in the world and possibly even best I've ever seen - Heini Danielson appeared without a club and started in the Danish lower leagues, and ended up with passing, crossing, dribbling, creativity and the whole lot 20s, absolutely stunning left winger with the misfortune of being born in a country where he had zero hope of ever winning something. I like to think though that he's now Prime Minister or equivalent of the Faroes after becoming their most reknowned citizen in their history.

Also:

Man United get relegated regularly whenever I've played long enough so I barely count that - but for the first time ever, Inter Milan also managed in mine, the last remaining club to have never left the Serie A ruined their century-old tradition in a season they should have been title challengers. Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Werder Bremen, Man United, Liverpool, Newcastle, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla and Real Madrid have all been relegated out of their top division - in one season in Spain, the Liga BBVA contained all those bar Real, as well as Athletic Bilbao and Atletico - only Barcelona went up (with Celta and Granada) - and Real Madrid came down! Spain's absolutely nothing like reality any more, it looks fantastic.

Archived