What are Those things in the match engine that just do your head in!!...

ill start this off by the telling you the one that annoys me the most...

when the ball has drifted to the line...and one of my players will just clear it for no reason

for instance

one of my players take a shot ,which is pushed away towards the right side of the goal ,

by the GK

(the ball is near the byline)

now instead of my player to knock it in the box for a player

he just kicks it out of play

the commentary clearly say that the player has 'cleared' the ball

Share your frustraing experiences...

okay when im attacking and there goalkeeper saves then just boots the ball right over everyone and my goaley just sits there while there striker scores what the hell is that all about

Lol i know exactly what you mean. i have this problem where the keeper charges out when an opposionion is on the corner of the six yard box, they cant just simply slot the ball home on the angle. You could blame the goalkeeper stats but anoyone with common sense would learn from this after the 100th time!!!!

yeah all the time its just a waste of time and this really gets me going when my full back is all alone and he just boots the ball out. whats that all about lol. they obiously dont test there own product out enough. they exspect us to buy the game test it for them then tell them whats wrong with it then wait 5 months untill we get another vesion thats totally diffrent from the one we paid for. in fact we are all employees of sports interactive. wheres my wages lol

I hate it when, yes fair enough your defender is under a little pressure after the keeper may have saved a shot, or the defender intercepts a through ball, but they have enough time to play a simple pass or clearance out of danger, yet they just hoof it as hard as they can out for a corner when they could have put it anywhere. I always get an image in my head of them stood like a girl over the ball biting there fingernails then just thinking 'oh well, what the hell'.

This wouldnt happen, they'd do there best to avoid giving away a corner.

Wingers irritate me the most - they are freakin' useless. Every time (and I've tried all manner of instructions including the totally unrealistic one to tell then to rarely run with the ball) they either run for too long with the ball and get tackled or they dwell too long before putting the cross in so it is charged down for a throw-in or a corner. All I want is a winger who will run down the wing and ping in a cross at the end of his run! I never see so many deflected crosses in real life :-\

When your strikers go one v one and then just pass the ball to opposition goalkeeper though the supposed less quality opposition always find the corner of the net in similar situations. When my striker is free in the middle and the player instead of playing the ball to him just punts the ball down the opposite wing where nobody is???

I know its because i set the mentality to time waste but its ridiculous. My attacking playing advances the ball around the GK, has an open goal but takes it to the corner flag. I laughed at the time but it would be frustrating if it was a big game.

- Defensive clearances. It is nigh-on impossible for your defenders to clear their lines properly, and generally always straight to an AI attacker in a dangerous position.

- Fullbacks constantly trying backpasses which are intercepted for goals. If they don't do this they clear down the line straight to an opponent.

- AI goals scored straight from throw-ins, while you can't even throw to your own player consistently.

- And my absolute pet hate: the amount of headed goals or headers forcing saves that come from long balls pumped into the box from near the halfway line. It defies logic that these sorts of balls can produce bullet headers when the ball is coming high over the shoulder of the attacker, yet just about every headed goal I concede from open play comes from a long, punted ball from behind the attackers. Centre-halves should eat up that sort of delivery all day but they don't.

Where do I begin.

Midfielders (usually defensive minded ones) stopping with the ball and doing several silly 360 turns thus inevitably inviting pressure. Has happened in every version of this engine and is incredibly annoying. More so when the player in question isn't even under pressure.

Players with TTB overhitting the ball while trying to find the wingers. Happens IRL? Yeah it does, but no player would be daft enough to do it 7 times in a row if he saw it didn't work. Why not try through the middle eh?

Daft back passes. Centre forwards in the opposition box suddenly turn around and hit a rocket towards my GK. Full backs with their own goals/underhit passes to the GK. Back four playing one touch passes with the keeper in midfield. Why do they think every passing move has to include my GK? He's not all that good in the playmaker role really.

The FM dribbling animation . The little dot standing with the ball in front of it twitching erratically from one side to the other. Wtf exactly is that meant to simulate? CR stepovers without stepping over the ball? Keepie uppies? In 08 they've also taught GK's to do this. Bless them for that one.

There's many more, but I can't be arsed to write them down at the minute.

The whole defender clears it while attacking thing is a pain.

Otherwise I havent seen any real problems to be honest, except when someone runs into an opposition player, loses the ball, which always means you concede a goal.

I saw a couple of things that made me laugh (whilst at the same time mildly irritating me) in matches the other night. One was a player "clearing" the ball when he was midway between the opposition's corner flag and goal just a few yards infield from their goal line. I'd have preferred him to try and get creative and score a goal, but I guess if he felt it needed booting into the stands instead then fair play to him. Better to be safe than sorry...

Second one was something I've never seen before. One of my 3 centre-backs intercepted the ball on the edge of his own penalty area and then just blasted it upfield harder than I've ever seen a ball kicked in FM before (it wasn't a windy day), bisecting the opposition goal post and corner flag in what the commentary described as a "shot". I would point out that the opposition goalkeeper was stood pretty much on his line at this point so it wasn't soome opportunistic "keeper off his line, let's try and lob him" moment - it was more like a 90-yard pile-driver, just for the hell of it :D

a free kick 20 yards out, player x is an expert at the dead ball. runs up hits it well, looks like its on target net thing out of nowhere jumps my right back and blocks the shot. the commentator then says "player y blocks the shot, he saved a certain goal there"

most annoying!

If the ball looks like it remotely has a change of going out of play, the defending player will immediately stop chasing. However, the attacking player always continues to chase. If the ball doesn't go out or the attack player is fast, hes always completely alone on the ball. This affects both player and AI teams.

The one that gets me is the occasional tackle after which the ball runs free, but neither player chases. Presumably they're both on the ground, no problem yet .. but then *nobody else on the pitch* goes for the loose ball.

I've seen this where, despite having one of my players in close proximity, he didn't just pick it up and start moving ..

I've scored a goal off of this where, after a corner, one of my players made a tackle like this that lingered near the end-line. The opposition all *pushed up*, despite the ball being behind them .. the goalkeeper stayed on his line .. and the oppo. player was injured, so he didn't pursue. My striker got the ball and scored on a very silly one-on-one that should never, ever have happened.

The other one that frustrates me is the bouncing ball: players will often go to the "end point" of the bounce, e.g., wherever the ball stops bouncing and starts rolling. If the ball is moving slowly and bouncing high, this means that they will go to that point and wait for an extended time ... allowing the opposition plenty of time to close on them.

I'd much rather see the player be much more aggressive about it: I can still hear my coaches shouting "GO TO!!!" ... they should close on the bouncing ball, and, depending on technical ability, flair, etc., either trap it down for themselves, volley, or half-volley.

wen ur winning and wen there stoppage time added on and it watches the whole thing and there on the attack the wole time but wen ur losing it all skips :@

wen ur winning and wen there stoppage time added on and it watches the whole thing and there on the attack the wole time but wen ur losing it all skips :@

For that situation, there is likely something a bit "off" in your all-out-attack tactic. I'd recommend the next couple of times you get to that situation, click to "Full Match" from about the 85th minute. Watch where you're losing the ball, and try to rectify it.

Where do I begin.

Midfielders (usually defensive minded ones) stopping with the ball and doing several silly 360 turns thus inevitably inviting pressure. Has happened in every version of this engine and is incredibly annoying. More so when the player in question isn't even under pressure.

ARGHHHHH

Flamini does this ALL THE TIME. The amount of times he loses possesion is disgusting.

Edit:

Also, When taking a freekick on the edge of the area, i dont expect Elano to lay the ball off to Kranjcar who then decides to get tackled. Very annoying.

2 things which truly annoy me:

- I don't think most people notice this one: throw ins. Has anyone noticed that the players CAN'T TAKE THROWINS. Every time, it's either a crazy 50-50 ball or they simply throw it right to the opposition. Hardly anything good comes from throw ins. Ever. As soon as I see a throw in from my player in my own half I shiver.

- On free kicks, why do my players think it's smart to lay it off for someone that has a long shots score of like 5? It's reallllyyy damn annoying.

yuuuupppppp

throw ins are absolutely ridiculous

you can have 4 or 5 players available to throw to

2 of them will probably be marked

somehow the thrower gets confused about this and throws it forward towards the oppostion

that happens waaaaaaayyy too much times

Many of the above suggestions are bad, especially all those silly clearances, when the players obviously aren't under real threat.

But what bugs me most are yellow cards. Player X looks like he's in trouble, player starts to waddle sloooowly towards the ref, that also starts to waddle slooowly. Tick tock tick tock, sometimes it takes half a minute to find out that the player only got away with a warning. I wouldn't call that an extended highlight, even though, in retrospect, it is quite extended. :)

i hate it when you have a freekick from 20 yards out

and instead of your best freekicktaker to curl it in...

he lays it off for your centre back

I'm lucky, I had a centre back who banged a few in from them...

What really annoys me is that you very rarely see a player in the box square it to another member of the team e.g. there's a player free on the other side of the box, no defenders in sight and GK approaching, the player always shoots and never lays it off.

Corners- they ruin it.

Utter, utter BS from SI that only under certain circumstances would players be able to score loads from corners, when essentially if you have powerful players then they will score frequently from corners.

Absolute joke that this wasnt fixed after the 3 month wait for a decent match engine.

lots fo things:

1- almost every corner from AI is a goal, corner kicker will always make a godly cross into 1st post and any stupid AI player will score even though my mens are marking him and are far better then him.

2- almost every AI 20 or 25 yads shot will be a goal even if the AI player is the stupidiest player on FM

3- AI underpressure tackles will always send the ball to the midfield of the pitch and to another AI player.

4- any AI player can outrun/drible my defenders no matter what AI player is.

- Free-kicks. 8 times out of 10 the opposition will score even if their free-kick stat and flair is at about 4, the majority of free-kicks will also take a deflection as well

- The ball is going out for a goal kick yet inexplicably my defender decides "hey, i can get that!" and concedes a corner, that happens all the time for me and the opposition

- Players not passing to players in better positions, for example. Player A is through on goal but the angle is tight and Player B is in a better position, a simple pass and he should score, but no, Player A scuffs it wide trying to go for it himself. Obviously, this happens in real life but I seem to see it a lot in the game (my strikers creative freedom is set usually set low as well)

- Finally, when you're a goal down, you have time wasting set on low and the opposition has punted the ball up, now, the full-back should quickly try and punt it back up the pitch, it may go to no-one but at least he tried yet what I tend to see is my full-back will punt it out of play as if we're a goal up and need to waste time

- Players run through your goalkeeper, when in reality the goalkeeper should either take the ball off the players feet or concede a penalty...i just dont see how a player can run through your keeper with ease...then put it into an empty net (this happens for and against me all the time)

- Players stall on the ball way to much, lose the ball, sit there like a ****** without making the efford to get back then BANG you concede....YAWNNN!!!!

- 4ft players scoring at the near post every game against a 6ft+ player from a corner....

- Throw-ins are ridiculous the player ***** himself and throws it anywhere...

- Player shoots from outside of box and 9 times out of 10 hits it over but whats weird as the ball seems to gain alot of height just as it gets about a foot from the goal.

There are millions of more problems with the game engine but I really don't have the time..

Guest sav112

I’ve been away from the Game for a few of the reasons detailed in here, The older games you had a feel that your team was progressing, you knew X player was solid, you even knew weaknesses and worked away to fix them but and this is the massive but for me….

In this with all its Sliders, settings, arrow exploits I don’t know if it’s my players or stupid settings that are wrong….players and the team play fantastic one weeks and are a pub team the next. You can play the top team in the division and have a great win but be repeatedly blind and dreadful to the 18th team time after time after time until it just got predictable.

Euro games were repeatedly 5-6 goal thrillers over two legs….once lost with a Spanish top team from 3-0 to lose 3-3 on away goals which can happen granted but more or less getting expected on this.

All my play was in a clan environment it was almost more entertainment laughing at the games Match engine than anything else. I had to give it up after it got too annoying, you put in the work to get nothing…..

Don’t know if I’ll pick up 09 for the first time since the original only in here keeping tabs on a few off topic threads on Rangers etc.

- Free-kicks. 8 times out of 10 the opposition will score even if their free-kick stat and flair is at about 4, the majority of free-kicks will also take a deflection as well

- The ball is going out for a goal kick yet inexplicably my defender decides "hey, i can get that!" and concedes a corner, that happens all the time for me and the opposition

- Players not passing to players in better positions, for example. Player A is through on goal but the angle is tight and Player B is in a better position, a simple pass and he should score, but no, Player A scuffs it wide trying to go for it himself. Obviously, this happens in real life but I seem to see it a lot in the game (my strikers creative freedom is set usually set low as well)

- Finally, when you're a goal down, you have time wasting set on low and the opposition has punted the ball up, now, the full-back should quickly try and punt it back up the pitch, it may go to no-one but at least he tried yet what I tend to see is my full-back will punt it out of play as if we're a goal up and need to waste time

Forgot to mention players taking free-kicks from ridiculous ranges, why won't you pass?!

It may sound as if I hate this game engine, and yeah, I probably do. 7.0.2 was loveliness...

Probably said a million times before

Team A is far superior than Team B in every department and has had 1038 shots with 1001 on target but 0 goals. Team B has 1 shot on target and 1 goal.

Fix it SI or you will lose the £30 a year I spend on this game..not that you will need it :)

Archived