Spoting talents???

All my 6 scouts are have 19/20 for their JC & JP but they are always missing those true promising kids in their 16 & 17... One day, finally fed up when a couple of wonderkid at age 18 and 19 poped up at other top clubs and their history shown they with the club since 15, i engaged a PI (FM Scout) to confirm my scouts effectiveness. To my shock, there are 2 17 years with 190 PA and 77 CA in my rival club but my scouts only give them decent potential??!! such poor performance from my scouts yet they demand 100% pay raise when i offer them a new contract...

By the way, 2 of my scouts are among the top 10 scouts in FM according FM Scout...

anyone face such issue too???

Good lord. How many times must this subject be raised?

Your scouts don't have access to miniscout. It's a cheating piece of software that digs into the programming of Football Manager, not an accessory. Your game, you choose to use it, it's your business, but you can't complain that it's better than your scouts when it's not a part of the game at all.

No, scouts are not as good as they should be in FM, but bear in mind:

1) if scouts were perfect there'd be no risk in the game.

2) if scouts were almost perfect there'd be very little challenge to digging out youngsters.

3) if a 17 year-old's CA is 77, it doesn't matter what his PA is -- it's unlikely he'll progress beyond 165-170 (which is pretty good, admittedly).

4) your scouts can only judge a kid on his CA plus a couple of hidden attributes such as the professionalism he demonstrates within the scouted match along with that scouts' knowledge of the league.

5) it may be that the scouted player is a Joe Cole with a rep that preceeds his league debut by 3 years or so (Fergie was tracking Cole from age 15 and frequently asked about his progress whenever Man Yoo visited the hammers) or he could be a Rooney that burst onto the scene pretty suddenly and grew and improved, or he could be a Francis Jeffers who burst onto the scene, had a good season, moved to the big club and his injury-proneness and lack of determintation (stat-wise) let him down.

I'd like to see SOME improvement in scouts but to make them infallible would be a poor step.

Not the best strategy putting all your eggs in one basket with the scouts.

But they do need to be improved, but definitely not to the point its just too easy. Scouts in real life have seen players who think will make the big time and fail many-a-time. Same thing Vise-versa players who may look to be rubbish to your scout but may turn out as a world class hero.

Is it just me?? I do find scout in FM is ok.

I tend to get 3 reports of a player before making a decision, and I am entirely rely on " XXX has the potential to become a good EPL player" or " xxx has the potential far excess yyy 's current ability".....

I had buy a few regen and most of them are doing very well in my reserve team.

Guest roberto922

And Everton aren't big Bakpackant? Meh! Please make that BIGGER as I think I'm already getting a reputation for moaning about this :mad:

I find the scouts good. TBH guys, you've got to look past just J.A / J.P. A lot more of the scouts mental attributes come into effect when the scout is on a scouting assignment. Imagine a scout with 20/20 JA/PA, but 1 motiviation, and 1 Determination. How many kids do you think he's actually going to look for? He's not determined to do his job to the fullest, so the 20/20 is pretty redundant.

I find the scout reports massively helpful, but eventually go on my on desicion. I've turned down a number of players my scout rates 7*, and signed even more he's rated 4*. a 7* potential player may not even reach his potential, so it'll be a waste of time signing him anyway, yet a player with 5* potential could reach it by the age of 23 / 24 - have 6 or 7 great seasons for you then you sell him on for a nice big fee while he's in his prime

They are only rated "decent" because you must already have a fantastic first team with "Leading" whatever league your currently playing potential players. Scouting compares the player you are scouting to what you already have on the team, not to a set value.

Furthermore, if you actually READ the full scout report, these "decent signings" will state that said player is "Leading Premiership" potential if the scouts are good enough.

The one line overall rating thing in the news item is a fabulous addition in FM 2008 for people like myself that go through literally thousands of report cards a season, but its not a total replacement for looking at the reports themselves. Personally I use it to filter out all the rubbish and then I only have to take in depth looks at anyone rated decent or better to see how the scouts think they will develop before deciding whether or not to sign them.

The only exception, and where I would love SI to improve this module, is where work permits or concerned. If I'm playing in England and I scout youngsters from South America, my scouts will almost always tell me every player is not worth signing because they will likely fail to gain a work permit, regardless of their ability or potential ability. I have feeder clubs to deal with work permit issues, and they really don't concern me, particularly because the players I'm looking at signing wont be joining the club for several years due to age restrictions anyways. Instead, you have to read the detail report for every player to find out how good the player is and then make the decision. When your churning through hundreds of reports, this is very tedious. I'd really like to see this module changed slightly to display something like "Player X would be a decent signing, but would likely fail to gain a work permit" on the overall rating (and the one line news item), rather than seeing "Player x would not be a worthwhile signing" despite the fact he has leading prem potential.

Overall, I like the scouting module, and think it works really well, possibly even too well. I never get anything but report cards anymore, yet I still have no problem finding players to sign. It does require finding the right scouts to save time (good scouts can get you just as much information in a simple report card as others take 3 matches to find), but I find paying the high compensation for these scouts is very easily recouped with sales of excess players they find.

My Scouting strategy:

Scouts Stats:

Judging ability > 12 (95% of the people im buying won't get used for years so I could care less how good they are now)

Judging potential > 17 ( I prefer 19-20, but usually have to lower this to find good scouts for non EU regions)

Discipline > 10-15+ ( discipline seems to affect the # of reports each scout can generate per day

Tactical Knowledge 10-15+ (I'm of the opinion that tactical knowledge seems to have some impact on the Quality of the reports the scouts generate. I've never done enough testing to prove it, but in my experience I've never had a scout with tactical knowledge > 15 that failed to generate a full report with detailed ability/potential when asked to do a report card on a player.)

Scouting Method: I usually start each season scouting every visible player ages 14-17, immediately discarding any reports that are not decent or above (with the exception of non EU). Anyone who rates "Good" or "Leading" top flight potential is diverted to my best scout who's only job is to provide second opinions and/or match reports on these candidates. If i have time I usually try and squeeze in players age 18 once this is done, but it usually doesn't happen as this almost doubles the workload. By the time this is done its usually January and South America will spawn more regens and the process repeats. Anyone 19+ with good topflight potential is completely overpriced anyways and even the worst scouts notice them when just on assignment in a league.

Hope some of this helps. To me finding and developing regens is one of my favorite parts of the game. Its definitely time consuming, but thats part of a management sim.

i agreed the scouting system is working great now compare with the past FM, especially love the report from Ass Man. Like Quavis, i love scouting n unearth gems thus my scouts are always full of report requests (maybe that's why they give me poor quality from overloaded hehe). i never used the 3rd party FM Scout until to confirm suspect fact for the post to start this thread.

to add, the "decent" potential i refer given by my scout is stated potential as leading Cola Championship player, NOT prem quality. that's why i instant overlook him but his PA is 190??

in addition, i noticed that my team reserves youth changed potential after new season regen intake. some normal kids in their 19/20 become better tiggering many top Eur club come knocking while some promising 17/18 become 'decent' PA status recommended by scout to 'offload' though their previous status is like 'good'/'leading' PA status??!! only status i 100% confidence is the 'quality' player, they are often wonderkid in making...

But there one area i love to see for improvement.

- ability to show players in their team when they had been scouted as if i'm view my Ass Man report on my own team

to add, the "decent" potential i refer given by my scout is stated potential as leading Cola Championship player, NOT prem quality. that's why i instant overlook him but his PA is 190??

Don't get sucked into seeing PA as the be-all and end-all. Sensible distibution of attributes for position is far far more important than CA or PA will ever be. And no player will ever be one of the best without excellent mental stats.

Archived