Feeder Teams for work permits - advice needed

Like so many of us, I have a penchant for scooping up bright young wonderkids and nurturing them into future superstars. Very commonly, therefore, I'll bring in promising youngsters who are not eligible for work permits but can be loaned out to feeder clubs.

So I have a Spanish feeder for my S. Americans and a Belgian one for the others. The problem is this - they spend 2 or 3 years at the feeder rotting in the reserves, which usually have no fixtures. The feeders also have far inferior training/youth facilities to my club, therefore it appears that all that wonderful talent is being utterly wasted and the kids are stagnating rather than developing.

So, what the solution? How do I farm out my promising foreign teenagers and give them a fair chance to play football and have their talents nurtured?

Recall him, tutor a season until he can play in the first team, hopefully he still have time left in his contract. He will improve if the tutor is actively playing in the first team. Tested on rafael and fabio, they improve about 20 CA even when they were not allowed to play anywhere in the first season.

Interesting - keep a teenager for intensive tutoring rather than working towards a work permit as quickly as possible. Hmm, wouldn't their physical stats go crashing if they aren't playing at all? Or do you have a separate fitness-biased training schedule for them? I can see them turning out to be weedy footballing geniuses!

Not as simple as that though, if they don't get a work permit. I haven't mentioned that my best player is Ilsinho, whom I couldn't get a woprk permit for, so he's out on loan. I'm hoping that since he's a regular Brazilian international he'll get the required caps and he'll get the nod to play for me before the 3 years are up, but the youngsters won't get capped in the next 2-3 yeras.

Archived