The Apprentice: Football Manager Edition

*Winner: Best Sign-Up Idea FM08 - The CSE Community*

[highlight]Fabio Capello:[/highlight] This is a job interview from hell. I’ve been in football for 40 years. Your prize is working with me.

From across the country, 20 football managers of tomorrow have come to the Premier League.

[highlight]Fabio Capello:[/highlight] Don’t start telling me that you’re just like me, because no one’s like me. I’m unique.

They’re here to compete for a job with a six-figure salary, working for England’s most Italian boss.

[highlight]Fabio Capello:[/highlight] I think this is outrageous. You haven’t got a bloody clue. Not a bloody clue.

Famously hard to please, Fabio Capello has won 9 domestic titles and one Champions League. Now, for the first time, he’s on the search for an apprentice.

[highlight]Fabio Capello:[/highlight] It’s up to you. You open your bloody mouth or I’ll fire the whole bloody five of you if I have to. I don’t give a sheep.

To land their dream job, the candidates will have to play…and win against each other. But there’s just one job.

[highlight]Fabio Capello:[/highlight] You’re fired. You’re fired. This was a total disaster; you’re fired.

Welcome, candidates, to The Apprentice: Football Manager Edition. All 20 of you will be competing against each other for one job with England manager Fabio Capello. Week by week, you complete tasks, and week by week, Fabio Capello says, “You’re fired.”

First, the candidates are given clubs. Each candidate got the opportunity to set their own Current Ability and Potential Ability, and it is their selfishness here that has given them worst clubs. Those who have given themselves lower CA and PA get a better club to compete for the one job. This system is based on the club’s predicted position. The clubs are as follows:

[b]Username         Manager Name         Club[/b]
 Frazza Pee       Gold Member          West Ham
 mikey twigge     Mikey Twigge         Derby
 Ridleys          James Ridley         Bolton
 Robert_296       Robert Boyle         Reading
 coldkohmew       Browser Two          Tottenham
 PaulHartman71    The Ideal Apprentice Man Utd
 Mistryman        Mistryman            Chelsea
 Living_Legend    Brian Greene         Newcastle
 JoseRR           Robaldinho           Liverpool
 JamesMathews     Stefan James         Man City
 barry the second King Tikki-Man       Porstmouth
 Tomaldinho       Tomaldinho           Middlesbrough
 weeeman27bob     Kim Jung Fine        Aston Villa
 radicell         Rick Adicel          Everton
 Mikel LUFC       Gonzalo Gonzalez     Arsenal
 uusinjsh         Ints Vancans         Blackburn
 starburst91      Dr Pepper            Wigan
 WBA4LIFE         JJ Fernie            Fulham
 spartans5        Billy Hagrues        Birmingham
 eldereth         George Robson        Sunderland

Using a seeding system based on predicted positions, the candidates have been separated into two teams, The Reds and The Blues.

[color=Red]The Reds[/color]                          [color=RoyalBlue]The Blues[/color]
 PaulHartman71    Man Utd          Mistryman     Chelsea
 starburst91      Wigan            mikey twigge  Derby
 JoseRR           Liverpool        Mikel LUFC    Arsenal
 WBA4LIFE         Fulham           spartans5     Birmingham
 coldkohmew       Tottenham        radicell      Everton
 eldereth         Sunderland       Frazza Pee    West Ham
 Ridleys          Bolton           uusinjsh      Blackburn
 JamesMathews     Man City         Robert_296    Reading
 barry the second Portsmouth       weeeman27bob  Aston Villa
 Tomaldinho       Middlesbrough    Living_Legend Newcastle

The Schedule

Every Tuesday I post a task, and I post its report on the Wednesday. The next couple of days are then used to determine who is fired ready for the next task, which is posted on Friday. The report for that task is posted on Saturday, and another candidate is fired before the next task commences on the next Tuesday. At the end of 15 tasks we will have our new apprentice. After the task report is completed, I will ask the project manager of the losing team to call in two (or more) clubs from their team to the board room. Then, via email, the three forum users tell me why they shouldn’t get fired. Once all arguments are posted, the other team members get the opportunity to vote for which team mate they want to see fired by emailing me. The result is announced and one or more of the team members are sent packing.

The Tasks

Each week the teams are set a task. Although this is described in real life terms, it equates to a Football Manager objective. I then simulate the task taking place on Football Manager 2008, and post the results in a report. The scores of each team member for that task are added together to get a team score which determines the winning team. From the losing team, one person gets fired.

The Project Managers

Each week there will be a different team member assigned as Project Manager. This is drawn using a random number system. The Project Manager has to enter the boardroom along with two teammates. If there are no more Project Managers available for a team, the draw will be redone. The Project Managers will be announced alongside the task.

Disclaimer:

As this is the first series, I cannot guarantee there will not be bumps along the way. In fact, I am certain there will be issues. I’ll try to minimise these but with the clubs being unequal tension is always likely to arise. Remember it is just a game and to have fun. You can always participate again next series when I can be clearer on what should be done setting up the sign-up.

Notes:

• The game is being played on an 8.0.2 large database, which has been edited only to put the 20 candidates in. The English Premier Division is the only league loaded, and no additional nations are selected.
  • All managers were set to be born in 1977 but for some unknown reason the game changes their date of birth on startup. I will leave it as it is unless there is a major outcry.
  • To email me, go to the Contact Info pane of my Profile and click ‘Send a message via email to canvey!!’.
  • If your manager is fired in the game, you can continue the sign-up, but if your team loses you automatically enter the boardroom.
  • All users are very much welcome to post in this thread, not just those competing in the sign-up.
  • If you are going to be away it helps me if you tell me in advance so I know why you’re not contributing to the thread. If you do not submit your defence argument none shall be provided for you and if you don’t vote then you miss your opportunity to get someone fired. Only the members of the losing team have to vote for who they want fired.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't straight away, it must have been about Christmas time or later. The CA/PA ranking system I'm using should make it fairer. The top teams have better squads and higher expectations but worse managers. The bottom teams have worse squads but lower expectations and better managers.

Don't forget the teams will be changed at some point - Capello's searching for an individual, not a team. Did you know he's England's most Italian manager, yet he doesn't give a sheep (see my dialogue at top)?

Task 1

Fabio Capello has called the candidates to Portobello Road Market, London.

[highlight]Fabio Capello:[/highlight] Today’s task sees you buying and selling. You need to be able to buy low, and to sell high. You’ve got to buy wholesale here at the market and sell on for a profit. The team that comes back to me with the most amount of money wins. From the losing team, one of you’s gonna get fired.

Ridleys, you’re going to be the Project Manager for the Reds (Bolton), and uusinjsh for the Blues (Blackburn).

~

The Objective: Make a profit from Summer transfers

The Deadline: August 10th, before the first league game

Notes: The values I will be counting are those in the club’s Transfers > History section

The results report will be posted on Friday.

Archived