Any tips on ending a horrible run of results?

Basically I'm Rushden manager, got them up to League 2 first time of asking, had a mixed first couple of months of the season, was hovering between 18-22 region, then in December won 5 in a row, and was only 2 points off 7th. Played Lincoln, who were bottom, without a win in 12, and lost, and since then have only won two games. Whenever I get a win I think it'll be a springboard but I'll lose the next game.

I've brought in some loan signings which doesn't seem to have helped.

My line up at the moment is:

------------------------------Alan Marriott---------------------------------------

Shane Lowry-----------Mark Bradley----------Phil Guilliver-----------Jamie Lowry

-----------------------Andy Burgess-------------Jonathan Hogg

Dean McDonald-------------------------------------------------------Lee Tomlin

-------------------------Stuart Beavon---------Lee Phillips

Subs:

James McKeown

Ryan Valentine

Daryl Clare

Lloyd Dyer

Michael Corcoran

Just set up a friendly against the U-18s inbetween league fixtures. The heavy win will give your team confidence, and a morale boost.

I tried this when I was with Brighton. Struggling - new board states they are definitely not satisfied - morale is low - scheduled a friendly against reserves - final 1:3 - resigned immediately.

Basically I'm Rushden manager, got them up to League 2 first time of asking, had a mixed first couple of months of the season, was hovering between 18-22 region, then in December won 5 in a row, and was only 2 points off 7th. Played Lincoln, who were bottom, without a win in 12, and lost, and since then have only won two games. Whenever I get a win I think it'll be a springboard but I'll lose the next game.

Hi PTG,

Mate I know exactly how you feel.... My team is Cheltenham, and I was on a losing/draws streak in excess of 10 games, was 22nd on the ladder with about 14 games left and my job security was bad....

By changing a few things here and there I managed to finish 16th for the season, keep my job, and start building for the following season.

What I did.......

Firstly I changed tactics, now I don't know anything about FB, so I just searched the forums ended up here

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=29391

It is a very good tactic if you are not good at building your own, and the entire thread is very good reading

The change of tactic helped, however, there were still big variations in performance, so I made a query, and The Lambs pointed me in the direction of this (6th post from the top)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=29391&page=4

This worked extremely well for boosting morale and performances started to improve, I also used Wolfsongs guide to team talks, again which aided me a great deal.

I also paid more attention to player ratings during the game as well as overall performance..

EG, My goalkeeper who is very good( during FA cup stopped 4 of 5 penalties against Crystal Palace for us to win, and not one player had more than 70% left in the tank going into the penalty shootout, brutal game) anyway. . . he had three goals on him and overall team performance was poor, I subbed him and we scored within 2 mins ended up drawing the game. This I have also done with other players,

one players poor efforts does make a difference to how the team performs overall.

Also I have found that getting in players all the time really give the team the irrits, whilst they might not say anything in the media or their, it does show in performances. I have found consistent performances come with a consistent lineups

Overall, this has made me slow down my game play and try and be a bit more thorough with my approach. I think I read somewhere on here that by hitting continue all the time you won't get far. So I have learned more by slowing down. Oh and one other thing I have never really worried about getting promotion, or silverware. I have always gone for avoid relegation, and look to develop the team, and figure that I will get promoted and win silverware when I have done my job properly........

cheers, hope to have helped some

You have to take the time and effort to grind out the 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins first instead of looking for a big win. Build it up eventually, thats what I do.

What I mean is play very defensively and counter attacking so your team gets into the groove first. Oh and encouraging team talks also.

Just set up a friendly against the U-18s inbetween league fixtures. The heavy win will give your team confidence, and a morale boost.

I have quite a good side, but was on a poor run (DDDLL), when I remembered reading this here. Then looked at the fixture calendar and noticed that I have a 11 days until the next match, arranged a frendly againts my U18 team, won it 5:0, and went on to win next 13 matches \o/

thanks. :thup:

But imagine the devastating effects of a loss! :p

Yes, I updated it a bit.

I'm now in the midsts of a relegation battle. I'm playing better football, but keep conceding last minute winners in games that I'd deserve to draw.

Line up has changed a lot. Starting X1 is now

------------------------------------------------ Alan Marriott---------------------------------------------

Jamie Lowry-------------------------Leon Cort-------------------Phil Gulliver-------------------Jack Obersteller

---------------------------------Andy Burgess---------------------Anthony Pulis----------------

Lee Tomlin--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dean McDonald

--------------------------------Stuart Beavon--------------------Brett Pitman

Subs:

Anthony Kay

David Bird

Billy Dennehy

Michael Paton

Michael Morrison

And there's nothing wrong with Beavon NPF, got 20+goals already this season, and it's only February

And a big whoop of delight greets a late 2-2 draw with Darlington.

Currently the bottom of the table is as thus:

19. Cheltenham, 33 games, 33 points

20. Chester, 33 games, 32 points

21. Morecambe, 33 games, 31 points

22. Kettering, 31 games, 29 points

23. Wrexham, 31 games, 27 points

24. Rushden, 33 games, 26 points.

Next game is against...WREXHAM!

Archived