Selling my captain in the January transfer window?

I am now approaching the middle of December in my game (2016/17) and my captian will be transferred on January 1st. This obviously means i am gonna have to appoint a new club captain. The most obvious thing to do would be to promote my vice-captain to Club captain, but it is not something i plan to do. The question i have is, when my captain leaves, if i appoint another player as club captain rather than my vice captain, will me vice captain then be unhappy with me for not pormoting him? The reason i don't want my vice captain to be promoted yet is because he is only 20 years old, and i planned to keep him as VC for 3-4 seasons with him getting the chance to be captain a few times a season (i know, i wouldn't usually give someone that age the responsibility, but my squad is very weak when it comes to influential and experienced players, and he is one of the best young defenders in the league with his influence attribute at '12' already).

He might say he expected to become captain but when that happens to me i find that the player forgets about that very quickly.

I had young players as captain. My central defender was captain at 20 and is now national captain at 23.

About the vice-captain thing, depends.. Sometimes, I appoint a completely new player as captain or VC, and my players will all say "Happy at the appointment of ____ as captain", and sometimes the VC doesn't like it. If the player that you're going to make captain has been on your squad for a while, it's not a big deal, but I'd be a little careful with a newly signed player or something like that.

Also, I've found that the age of the captain can sometimes backfire. I've had young players with 16 or 17 influence that I promoted to captain as soon as I could, but then they had the "Feels like there is too much pressure being put onto them at a young age" type thing for a while, which affected their play (and in my opinion, the whole club's play). This player was fine after next season though, so maybe you should just throw your young-in in to get him ready for next season. He might not even be pressured, who knows.

i have had a 19 year old Sergey Kisliy as captain for FC Utrecht and he did splendidly...

As for your query if the captain you appointed is well-respected and a good player i dont think there will be any problems...

Cheers for the replies. I'm quite tempted to give him the captaincy full time now. The only player i will have in my squad with better influence attributes is another youngster and he isn't in my first choice team, plus he isn't the most professional of players. Its quite a problem that i have such a big squad, but hardly any of them are influential (quite a young squad). I was tempted to bring in someone experienced and give him the job, but it won't go down well with the rest of my squad. Anyway my VC has been a regular in my team since he was 17 so he's had 3 and a half seasons of regular first team football, and he's probably on the brink of an England call up. If i promote him to captain i think i might give the VC job to an older player with average influence attributes, but respected in my squad.

I was tempted to bring in someone experienced and give him the job, but it won't go down well with the rest of my squad.

Actually, that depends. Im Sheff Wed and was in need of some experience in my squad Aliou Diarra was my captain but is getting past it and will only be a backup for me now. I signed Coloccini who is a well respected figure in the game and appointed him as my captain, everyone was happy with it. So if the player is widely respected then you shouldn't have any problems.

Archived