Foreign/domestic player bias

Hi,

I'm just interested to see people's opinions in how they go about building their squad ?

Do you buy foreign players, have a domestic bias, give your youth or reserves a chance ?

I would prefer a team to be based on mostly players from the country in which the team I'm managing is from but it does get very tempting to buy those cheaper foreign gems or big name players.

Any thoughts ?

Total mercanery approach from me. I buy who I think will improve the squad, be he Irish, English or Kazakh. Gernerally speaking my domestic player bias tends to go down until it settles at about 6.

Generally when I'm playing as a bigger club, I can't squeeze the youth players in for any matches outside the League Cup unless they're someone really good (ie. Saviet). At smaller clubs, however, I've brought through youth players that the game generated on a few ocassions.

Guest roberto922

A mix of everything, I admit to indulging myself in Genie Scout, but I do tend to go for english youngsters with high PA rather than a High PA foreigner if they're similiar, I also take even greater pleasure in the fact that my top two defenders are both academy graduates as well as my AMC, but I very rarely go for big stars, I'm in 2020 and I haven't really bought any big stars since 2010/11.

I would prefer to sign Home based players only, but normally I tend to buy the best players for that position. If an english option is available, then he will always be my top target, but I will not pay above the odds just cause of his nationality.

Although, I do have a bad habit(dunno why I think its bad), of chasing all the best english youth talent, then keeping them in reserves/under18's and playing them in League Cup games, or towards the end of the season in meaningless games,

Id love to have a team full of English player but in truth, I buy who will improve my squad the most for the best price. So I have 12 different nationalities in my team and only one english player. However, now my team is really good I'm starting to get some english back in. I have four very promising english players pushing through so that good.

Id love to have a team full of English player but in truth, I buy who will improve my squad the most for the best price. So I have 12 different nationalities in my team and only one english player. However, now my team is really good I'm starting to get some english back in. I have four very promising english players pushing through so that good.

I find the same thing, English players are highly priced and I end buying the standard well known foreign players to start with but integrate English signings in once I have the finance and success that allows me to do that. I've played as Bristol City for over 5 seasons now and the England team has hardly changed at all, no-one from the Under 21's and under really seems to improve for England.

Of course it's easier if you are managing in Spain, Italy or France, far more players of better quality to choose from !

I manage in Greece, so I try and sign as many willing Englishmen as possible(most play in Hong Kong). So not very successfull there, my squad is made up of Greeks, Cypriots and one Englishman. I've never signed an Irish player on fm, ever!

Archived