Suggestion: Switching teams at the end of the season

Currently, as a manager I can go to another team, which is nice.

But when I do, I have to do it now, while in reality it happens a lot that a manager just switches teams at the end of the season and signed the new contract earlier.

Depending the board, your behavior in the past and reputation the current board could put some restrictions (by instance no transfers of players allowed, etc…) on your possible actions.

Also in reality it’s very common that a part or even a complete training staff is following the manager to a new club. In FM it’s currently not possible.

it happens a lot that a manager just switches teams at the end of the season

Depending the board, your behavior in the past and reputation the current board could put some restrictions (by instance no transfers of players allowed, etc…) on your possible actions.

Also in reality it’s very common that a part or even a complete training staff is following the manager to a new club. In FM it’s currently not possible.

- Errr no it doesn't.

- What a load of rubbish, no manager would stick around with those sort of limitations.

- Actually quite often members of your backroom staff leave if you resign or get sacked.

- Errr no it doesn't.

- What a load of rubbish, no manager would stick around with those sort of limitations.

- Actually quite often members of your backroom staff leave if you resign or get sacked.

The limitations would be there just for a few months/weeks. It makes sense that you're not allowed to sign over expensive players or sell your current hotshots at a bargain price to, by instance, your new club. I don't think that IRL you can demand for a new stadium while you leave the club in 3 weeks.

Yep, some leave and some follow, but many managers work with a kind of locked team.

I would even add that in some clubs it happened that the manager was fired but could stay till the end of season. I would like to see that in FM09 as well.

buzzing hornet, is clue less.

yeah that does happen and i've always thought it would be a good touch, so the board could''approach to sign you'' good idea would be better. for example you've got 6 games left in league 1 and your 13 points clear struggling aston villa come in and if you want ton win the league you have to say no. irl they would just use a temp until after the season. good idea.

Look at Scolari: he knew he was going to Chelsea before the end of his contract with Portugal.

It's actually a nice touch. I am in a similar quandary at the moment. I have been coaching the Ivory Coast for 2years, qualified them for the African Nations. It's still 2 months away but the French national coach has been sacked for not qualifying for euro 2012 (Domenech was sacked after WC2010, Le Guen took over and failed miserably) and the FFA have offered me the job. Which I'd love to take but loath to do so, when there are only going to be friendlies until August 2012...

Come on then jkae, give me some recent examples of where managers have signed for another club months before the end of the season.

Wheather it's months or weeks no manager will want to be at a club where his role is so limited.

Klinsmann

Hitzfeld

Van Basten

Huub Stevens

I may be very wrong but you don't have to move teams immediately if offered a job. You can chose to move at the end of the season. So for example if you have a cup final appearance with your current team, get offered a contract by team B, you can ask to join at the end of the season so you can basically have a go at getting that cup.

Restrictions would be sensible to a certain extent. It would stop people selling off players on the cheap and cheating. But, if someone wants to do that when they move teams then they can, it's their game after all. If they want to be realistic and fair all they have to do is resist the temptation :) Plus, I imagine a lot of programming would be involved to make such restrictions run smoothly.

And has already been mentioned staff can leave with you. Or more accurarely they leave when you do and you can resign them at your new club.

Peljam is right. You can change the start date to end of the season when talking contracts with a new club.

The restrictions make sense actually. Id like to see it so that you can still buy players but the chairman has to approve them.

In Belgium it isn't that rare. It happens rather a lot that a 'temp' trainer (the secondary manager, the B-team manager or head youth team coach) is filling the gap till the end of season.

It happens often that a B-team manager is allowed to take the lead and when he is doing well, he will receive a new contract at the season end as an A-team manager.

There are many other considerations why teams are acting like that. It's possible that their desired manager is working at another club. It's easier to convince all parties for a change at the end of the season.

The argument that not one player is likely to love a game with restrictions is not true. When you’re playing Lower League Teams then you have your restrictions as well.

You can’t sign Ronaldo in the Conference League, most player you can sign have to be free.

Again we are talking about a few weeks or months of restrictions.

Restrictions seems like an ok idea as you couldn't see the board allowing them to make signings. Alan curbishly a few years ago decided to leave charlton at the end of season all be it not to another club but im sure the board wouldn't have allowed him to make new signings knowing they would have to appoint a new man.

Bit off topic but just wondered if this had happened to anyone else. One season I decided to leave at the end of the season as i wasn't really enjoying the league. I applied for a club in a league i did want to try however because i was still doing a decent enough job and was challenging for the league i chose to move at end of the season. However with one game to go at the end of the season it moved me to my new club and their season hadn't finished either???? The team i was at won the league which was basically down to me and i miss out on the reward. Just wondered has this happened to anyone else???

Archived