Offside Rule on Freekicks

Could somebody tell me the rule on offsides with direct freekicks?

I had a goal ruled out for offside yet i thought it should stand.

What happened was my freekick taker hit the ball from 30 yards out.It took a wicked deflection off the wall and sent the goalie the wrong way.

The ball hit the oppsite post to where it was going and my striker reacted quickest and tapped it in?

This was then ruled offside. Is that correct? Or should it have stood?

Thanks

Could somebody tell me the rule on offsides with direct freekicks?

I had a goal ruled out for offside yet i thought it should stand.

What happened was my freekick taker hit the ball from 30 yards out.It took a wicked deflection off the wall and sent the goalie the wrong way.

The ball hit the oppsite post to where it was going and my striker reacted quickest and tapped it in?

This was then ruled offside. Is that correct? Or should it have stood?

Thanks

The Match Engine doesn't always get it right, just like real Referees, but it sounds like your striker was in an offside position when the freekick was struck, so when he reacted to the rebound, he changed from passive to active offside, meaning the decision was probably correct.

Okay let me put it another way. If your striker closes down a keeper and the keeper passes it to one of his defenders and he has the worst touch ever and your striker who would be in a offside postion gets the ball and scores. Would that still be okay? or is the striker still offside? Im just a bit confused to what is offside and what is not? I allways believed that if it comes from the opposition then thats an okay goal?

Hard to tell mate with the dots. But i thought that if it hits the opposition then the striker is okay despite where he is. Or am i completly wrong on that one?

Yes. If the striker is in an offside position when the ball is played by his teammate, he is offside, regardless of who it touches.

Law XI: http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesAndRegulations/FIFALawsOfTheGame/Postings/2002/05/12115.htm

If it was a deliberate pass by the defender, one could call that a new "phase" of play - but otherwise, the player is offside when the ball is played by his teammate, and therefore offside.

Rightttttttttttttttt

Was the player in an offside position when the free kick was taken? If so, he therefore gained an advantage by being in that position (tapping the ball in)

The deflection just turns the play into phase two, which is still part of it.

I hope this makes sense. :)

Archived