Bad players who play well for no apparent reason

I'm at a loss. Hugo Rodallega is a terrible player. Most of his stats are in the 12-13 category and yet every single campaign he is an unstoppable beast. In my current game he has an av rating of 7.5 in 20 games. Absolutely incredible for somebody so average. It's like that every single campaign and I have no idea why.

Whats your great bad player?

The left winger in my title challenging AEK team is very fast(even then its a combination of things rather than having extreme pace, a still good 16 instead of an exceptional 19 or something), but otherwise is poor except for a few decent technical stats at best (a handful up to 12 but a lot of single figures), not awful but well below 'star' standard even in that league, and having been my player of the year in the first season, smashing the club's season assists record, and is averaging between 7.7-7.8 with 2/3 of this season gone. Thankfully my theoretical first choice (who on paper is far superior) can play in centre mid so he's not wasted on the bench all year.

In my previous save as Bath City in the BSP, I had a very fast young striker, who was my backup. All his technical stats sucked, and he had a 2 for Finishing. But he still managed to score on a very high rate of shots on goal ... even ones that weren't One-on-Ones. I saw him score on quite a few long shots too (I think he has 1 or 2 in LS stat). I think his hit rate was better than my best striker.

Brought a striker up from the Bundesliga 3 to Bundesliga, at that level his stats really weren't that good and his personality was sporting, but he scored a lot and was my first choice.

I ended up selling him to an Austrian club and bought another who should have been twice the player, disappointingly not even close.

Charles N'Zogbia was player of the season for me at Aston Villa in my second season. He may have pace (Acc 16, pace 16), but his key attributes are 12-13 or less. I played him as a left attacking midfielder, with an inside forward role. The amount of goals and assists he managed to get was insane, he had a mighty season. I got an offer from Tottenham at the start of my 3rd season for £16.75million. I accepted the offer and bought James Rodriguez to replace him (Paid about £14million If I recall correctly). His stats blow N'Zogbia's out of the water, but he's never been quite as good a player as N'Zogbia was. He pretty much single handedly took us to runners up in the Premiership (Man Utd were runaway winners with 18 points more than me).

Agbonlahor was similar, his pace is world class (Acc 18 and Pace 19 I think) but his technical stats are woeful, yet he continued to perform, usually as a high impact substitute. I had to let him go though as he was demanding too much for a new contract (Bearing in mind I only play one striker and he was 3rd choice behind Darren Bent and Yaya Sanogo).

I've always read about how dominant physical stats are in this game, but I guess I never really believed how much of an effect pace can have. It seems to make them more likely to get into positions to score, even if their finishing stats are horrible.

Adam Le Fondre is currently doing a job as my backup striker as Leeds near the top of the Prem. He loves playing in Europe, 37 in 27 in the Europa League and Champions League in the past 3 seasons. Also got a good scoring rate in the Prem, scoring 15 in 18, 12 in 21, and 13 in 12 these past 3 seasons. Currently a club icon, not bad for a player I picked up for 800K. Currently 32 now, and still a very good option off the bench for me.

In my Histon game (in L2) my best player DL was injured so I had to use a MC in that spot for a few months.. he ended up owning the DL spot since he was incredible.. both in defence and also in offence. He had terrible def. attributes, but was fantastic anyway. He was back in mid season after though.

i hope that was sarcasm - poor form does not equal poor quality

How are you meant to judge "quality", if "quality" doesn't relate to how well a player plays?

And it was an obvious joke. Torres doesn't play well :D

It's like establishing climat after a period of bad weather. Torres has been one of the best striker in Europe throughout the years. The fact that he didn't score many doesn't mean he was playing bad. He contributed alot in my opinion for Chelsea, though I can undestand that it is expected of striker to score.

Going back to the topic, my best example would be Walcott in fm08. Crappy technically, but thanks to his pace he was the leading winger in PL. :p

I'm at a loss. Hugo Rodallega is a terrible player. Most of his stats are in the 12-13 category and yet every single campaign he is an unstoppable beast. In my current game he has an av rating of 7.5 in 20 games. Absolutely incredible for somebody so average. It's like that every single campaign and I have no idea why.

Whats your great bad player?

How can he be a terrible player if he has a 7.5 rating over 20 games?

Maybe you need to focus less on attributes and more on what players bring to your team.

How are you meant to judge "quality", if "quality" doesn't relate to how well a player plays?

And it was an obvious joke. Torres doesn't play well :D

how well a player plays can be judged over a prolonged period of time as well as short term - and overall contribution as opposed to mere goals :p

Javlon Campbell, 18 year old free transfer (formerly of Bolton), 18 goals in 31 games in League Two with my all English Plymouth side. 11 in 29 in League One and currently 3 in 6 appearances in the Championship (promoted via playoffs each season). Can't believe how well he does for such poor stats. 2 and so years in and still hasn't really developed much, especially considering the amount of game time hes had.

I had a surprisingly well performing player who had terrible stats. Bought him for 28K Euro. Sold him 2,4 Million Euro. Best deal ever.

Jairo (Francisco Jairo Silva Santos, born 1988) Initial potential was 2 and 1/2 stars. Initial ability was 2 stars.

I loaned him from Villa Rio at the start of the game thanks to one of my coaches suggesting him. We got promoted to the First Divison thanks to him and a couple of others. But mostly thanks to him. He even got a well-deserved player of the year award(Second Division). He had most assists in the league as well as a couple of goals. He also got consistently named in Team of the Week. Sadly enough, his performance level dropped when we entered the First Division. He was still very good tho. But due to fear of having him turn bad, i sold him while he still performed well. An 85% profit was tempting, so i went for it. Bought other players.

Archived