Loaning players out

Has anyone at a top club actually seen a positive effect from loaning your talented young players out to another club? When I loan mine I always pick clubs that say things like 'valuable first team member' and then scout my players when they're on loan, but even if they play a lot of games, more so then they'd get for my club, they never come back any better.

It seems less that loaning players is good to improve youngsters and more so just loan them out if you've got more players in their position

Loaning (even when one can eventually manage to arrange for the player to go on loan) is of minimal value. Law of diminishing returns would indicate that, apart from saving the player's wages, it is simply not worth the effort.

I've seen a couple of players come back with higher attributes but still not good enough to make my first team. Generally I find that my training facilities and schedules are much better for their development.

Sometimes coaches tell you that a players developement has stalled due to a severe lack of 1st team football. So I guess that even if there is no immediate visible effect, there may be longer term benefits of your players gaining a season or more of regular 1st team football which are not apparent at the time.

I'm no expert, but I try to loan out all my young (18yo or above) players unless they are going to feature regularly in my 1st team.

Players dont usually go on loan and return instantly ready for the first team though? especially youngsters. Yes in some cases but more often than not there is not a massive difference. Ive always found when I loan players out they return slightly better as long as there playing in a team performing ok and they play a good run of games.

I pick very carefully who they go to. If there going just to sit on the bench I reject instantly.

End of the day if your loaning your youth or young prospect to a small club in a lower quality league you cannot expect them to return world beaters. Apologies if ive got the wrong end of the stick and that wasnt what you were trying to say. But for me they do return better players as long as the loan was a good for all parties (which is the point in a majority of loans). If he is playing regularly he should improve more than say if he was in your reserves.

A youngster with potential and a good personality can see a lot of improvement if he achieves good ratings when sent on loan. You must do your homework and find the most suitable club, it must be of a standard that matches his abilities but allows him lots of playing time, in which he must play well. (As long as training facities are good for the level the club is at, the youngster won't suffer too much, as the gains from successful first team football outweigh the losses from poorer training facilities)

A youngster with potential and a good personality can see a lot of improvement if he achieves good ratings when sent on loan. You must do your homework and find the most suitable club, it must be of a standard that matches his abilities but allows him lots of playing time, in which he must play well. (As long as training facities are good for the level the club is at, the youngster won't suffer too much, as the gains from successful first team football outweigh the losses from poorer training facilities)

Basically what he said. Pay attention to where your sending them, and who is going to be working with your players. Sending a 17 year old striker to a club training in a field, fighting at the bottom of league 2 with a manager who only likes players over 30 is probably not going to do said player a lot of good.

Some good points on this thread, I get a lot of benefit from loaning out, the biggest example being on my FM12 Chester FC save, where I sent a 17 year old young attacking midfielder out on loan to my feeder club Leicester in the championship for the season, by January he had scored 20 goals, had 15+ assists and his stats were much improved, so I recalled him and started him every game. That season he won championship player of the season even though he only played half a season, and he went on to become the best player in the game.

The reason I chose Leicester as my feeder club was that they had top training facilities, and being a championship club played at a high enough level to improve players. Its imperative you choose a club with top training facilities.

Archived