Reinstating A Youth System

Sure there's a simple answer for this but I haven't been able to find it on numerous searches of this site...

I'm managing Darlington in 2024, and in about 2016 I declined to enter the under-18s league because I'd released all the kids and didn't see the point. The board immediately offered me the chance to scrap the youth system to save money. Our finances were in a pretty parlous state at the time, so I agreed.

We are now in the Premier League and in European competition, and I'd like to be bringing through some homegrown players (not least to meet the UEFA requirements), but I can't figure out how to request it! There are a few options in 'board interaction' related to youth scouting and youth training facilities, but none of them explicitly state reactivating the youth system (and the board say no to each of them in any case).

Any ideas? Or is this irreversible?

Not much help to you im sorry to say but a few FM's ago I remember my side Norwich not being entered into any reserve comps because in real life the mastermind (he really isnt) that is Glenn Roeder had pulled the club out of the reserve league. Now usually I get offered every season whether I want to be part of the reserve and u18 league and you can say yes or no. On this FM I never got the chance to put the club back into the reserve league.

Dunno if this is still a concern and linked into your problem with FM12

Hmm, that doesn't augur well, does it? It'd be a complete pain in the arse if I couldn't get it started again because it just takes a level of enjoyment out of the game. Probably shouldn't have scrapped it in the first place...

Hmm, so you think if I keep asking they'll eventually reinstate it? I'm quite surprised no-one seems to have ever been in the same predicament, guess no-one else was stupid enough to scrap their under-18s in the first place...

D'oh.

Surely there should be an option to request the board to reinstate the youth setup.. weird there isnt one.

anyhoo.. I havent been in your situation so I dont know how to help.. but I'd also just keep requesting to improve the youth facilities.

They have got rid of the youth setup, so you have no facilities. All you need to do is ask the board to upgrade the youth facilities at the club and you'll get them back, but will need to upgrade them a lot before you stop getting dross through.

Hmm, so you think if I keep asking they'll eventually reinstate it? I'm quite surprised no-one seems to have ever been in the same predicament, guess no-one else was stupid enough to scrap their under-18s in the first place...

D'oh.

Have you looked in the Tactics & Training section. Maybe ask in the "Stupid Questions Thread" where you will find many helpful and knowledgable posters. (still on FM10 so I can't help you out)

Yeah I'd expect you'd get a youth system again if you managed to get them to agree to improving the youth facilities, though in your case it would be more like building them from scratch again. It might take a while to get it up to a good standard, though.

Archived