Playing the game slowly...

Hello all,

I always like finding out about how other people play the game. With that in mind, I wondered if anyone plays the game slowly, i.e. paying lots of attention to detail and taking a long time to complete a season.

The reason I am bringing this up is I have just got hugely bored with my long-term career save because I found myself rushing the game too much, i.e. always trying to get to the next fixture, always holidaying through friendlies and playing games on key highlights at quick speed. I would slow down to extended highlights for big games but for the most part I was rushing through the season. I wondered if it might be more enjoyable to only play out a week in FM time per session and really spend a bit more time on the small details. Perhaps take a month or two to complete a season. Maybe that might get me enjoying the game again.

So, my question, does anyone else play quite slowly? How often do you play and how long in FM time and real-life time do you devote to the game?

Look forward to some interesting answers.

C.

I always played every edition of FM (and previously CM) very slowly.

- I run about 20 leagues ;

- Except friendlies, I always play in "full match" mode, speeding it up if the score isn't going to change for sure (large win or loss) ;

- Surfing the other competitions around the world very often to see the standings. I watch the finals (on extended or key highlights) of the major competitions out there

- Finally, I'm a very casual player, since I play a lot of other games (CRPGs and MMOGs mostly)

So, it could take me about 3 or 4 months to end a season.

I play fairly slowly, i watch games on extended highlights so I know if there are flaws in my tactics. I have a long term career and am now in 2009 and have played for three days worth of time. I NEVER skip friendlies as I often find myself having to tweak my tactic so it fits in with any new players I have signed.

I always played every edition of FM (and previously CM) very slowly.

- I run about 20 leagues ;

- Except friendlies, I always play in "full match" mode, speeding it up if the score isn't going to change for sure (large win or loss) ;

- Surfing the other competitions around the world very often to see the standings. I watch the finals (on extended or key highlights) of the major competitions out there

- Finally, I'm a very casual player, since I play a lot of other games (CRPGs and MMOGs mostly)

So, it could take me about 3 or 4 months to end a season.

Wow Lucas! You sound like a really dedicated FMer!

Do you still find yourself getting addicted by the game even though it takes you so long?

What teams do you tend to play as?

C.

Yeah, I still feel very passionate because I get very attached to my team, no matter how many seasons I manage to play.

I usually play as Manchester United, or Havant & Waterlooville (blue square south) or Modena FC (italian serie b ).

I run England (Coco-Cola League 2 and above) Italy (Serie B and above) Holland (First division and above) Scotland (Third division and above) Spain (Liga bbva and above) Argentina (Second Divison and above) and Brazil (Second Divison and above)

it took me 2 days and 11 hours and 19 minutes to get to Wednesday 25th February 2015 22:45

I often had this idea of running the game in real time along with the football season, However I am not a paitent person, as soon as I sign a new striker, I can't wait till the weekend to see him make his debut

yeah i allways play my games in full match mode the reason being is i dont belive your tatics take full effect what so ever if you dont. it does take a while but its the way the game should be played in my opinion. i suppose they will do something about this in 09 because the game does need speeding up abit.

I often had this idea of running the game in real time along with the football season, However I am not a paitent person, as soon as I sign a new striker, I can't wait till the weekend to see him make his debut

Yes, I had the same idea but, like you say, I don't think I could manage to wait so long to complete a season!

I think I will try a new game where I only play a week per session and try to go into lots of detail. Should be fun!

C.

I spend a massive amount of time scouting.

I play my games on extended and the speed is set closest to realistic movement I could get. Also switch from full match to extended.

My ass man takes my friendlies as I know my team can get passed them and get their fitness up.

I do national friendlies though, ofcourse

Most of the time is scouting and doing tatics

I'm trying to get through 3 matches per day, currently, allocating however much time I have or care to. I often do other things during matches/processing though, although I run the games on extended highlights, normalish speed.

Previously I'd usually get bored or accidentally on purpose delete/corrupt my save a few seasons in and quit, with a talented young squad just on the verge of filling it's potential.

It generally takes me about a month or even a little more to complete a season in FM since I do take my time and don't rush through anything. I don't play all friendlies but skip about 1 or 2 max per season, everything else I play and work with my tactics, as after all, they are your guide to success.

At least for me, the problem about playing almost every match on "full" is that you get severely addicted to it, tactic-wise, especially if you have been playing with this mode for a long time like me.. When you switch to "extended" or "key", it becomes difficult to really understand what's going on the pitch.

I'm a newbie and I tend to play the game very slowly. I often spend up to half an our preparing my tactics just for a friendly match. My only concern is that the game is too easy so far when played this way. My team is predicted for relegation but so far we haven't lost a friendly yet (about 7 so far including youth). Even during a predicted draw, we manage a ridiculous 5-1 victory???

I don't mean to hijack this thread but is there more of a challenge when the season starts?

When I'm winning on my game I take it as in real life like really prep up if its an important match, and things like that, sometimes play eye of the tiger during matches which is pretty influencing.

But I usually just have one tactic and do the necessary bits and bobs and then just play pretty quick tbh.

it take me 4 days of game time to get to 2009.

i play very slowly, 1 seson take 3 play days for me dividied in preseson and first half,second half and leauge closing, preseson and transfers day.

i play my games on extended mostly and when i am playing rival teams i play full and pretty slow and manage my team very detalied like wathcing who get yellow cards of opp. FB and then i change passing to hes flank to force to go yellow card again or let my wingers pass him.

something i always have done is sitting and checking up players, especially u-21. i can sit for hours and fill up my short lists making bids,comparing them scout them and check the reports.a very fun and exciting part in the game to find the talents. first years in the game is just trash where the big rep clubs pump in huge cash piles for worldclass players.

way way way more fun play a small team and try make it big.it doesnt matter for me if its in top leauge **** team or decent team in lower leauge, both have its challange.

Depends on the individual savegame for me really. I never play ultra fast, but with most teams I will use Key or Extended highlights.

Only with Werder Bremen have I taken a slower approach and watched probably ~75% of their games in Full Match Mode, taking ~20 minutes to play each and tweaking tactics as I go. Just a different way of enjoying one of my save games though. The thing with my Bremen team was that I was interested in style over and above results - I wanted my team to play in a pleasing style (and win obviously, but the style came first). Obviously given that I want to watch them play otherwise it doesn't really matter whether they play beautiful football or just lump it upfield if they win!

I play fairly slowly, i watch games on extended highlights so I know if there are flaws in my tactics. I have a long term career and am now in 2009 and have played for three days worth of time. I NEVER skip friendlies as I often find myself having to tweak my tactic so it fits in with any new players I have signed.

Very much the same here, except that you appear to take 24 hours gametime per season whereas I take twice as long! I take a real micro-management approach to tactics (loads of tweaks to prepare for each match), training and scouting. I never skip a game and always watch on extended highlights.

[Flippin' new-fangled server: sorry for c0ck-up in above post - oh, maybe I can delete it... let's see.... YES! Hooray for editing our own posts!!!]

I started an AEK Athens save recently and I have clocked up 9 hours (real time) before I'm ready to click continue for the first time. (viewing all staff, all players, transfers, contracts, training, etc etc, arranging new staff, etc etc). Then when I play, I'll get through 2 maybe 3 games each day. (extended highlights).

Well there are two types for me:

Proper club game/the standard game - I don't pay attention to training (just set them to medium/low across the board) and I only update the set piece takers etc. once a year. I never holiday and I don't particularly care wha\t's going on in the other leagues and countries, although I'll have a look at a few at the end of the season just to see what's happened. When I get to a match I choose the line-up, set the individual instructions according to their stats, save, then play with key highlights.

A season will take me perhaps a week of solid playing.

International only game - This is where I load up al lthe palyers from the average - whipping boy nations so I end up with a game with one small league (because it's mandatory) and a HELLUVA lot of nations to manage (including a few of the big ones despite not loading their players or league).

In this game I pay attention to all internationals minus the U21 and U19 ones that don't apply to me. I'll look at qualification groups and the like on the last day to see if there's any possible shocks or top matches to watch like the winner qualifies and knocks a big nation out. Because of the gaps between fixture dates, I holiday if there's no other fixtures to take my attention until a week before my fixture. If it's a gap of a month or more I'll have a quick go on whatever PlayStation game I'm playing or read something, after a few minutes I can continue playing.

I update the set pieces etc. before the start of a competition, and selecting players for my national pool can take quite a while (depending on the nation) but I only have to do that once every new job I get.

In one day I can do a month to 2 years, depending on how much I play in that day.

I play the game slowly, with a lot of attention to detail.

- Extended highlights, replays of goals

- I manage all the friendlies (Key, no replays)

- I mange also my Reserves and Under-18s, though I tend to do those on Commentary only

- I make minor tweaks to my tactics for each game (nothing major, just making sure I have the "right" set-up for corners, or that my slow-but-technically-adept winger has "Run With Ball" set to "Rarely", etc)

- I scout for 3 games all potential transfer targets

Its slow going, but I find I get very emotionally attached to the players, and tend to get to "know" them in terms of how they'll react to team-talks, press bits, etc .. in fact, eventually, I'll wind up making sentimental decisions rather than showing a long-time favorite the door.

Archived