New stadium bankrupting my club... Any way to scrap it?

So, I've just taken Lyn Fotball back to Norwegian Premier division, winning four promotions in four years (the club had to fold in 2010, so I took over in 4. Divisjon, ie 5th level).

We made the transition from amateur to semi-pro with no problems, but due to a small stadium (2.5k) the club has always been working on a very very tight budget, basically surviving thanks to sponsorships and league-winner bonuses.

We surprisingly won the Adeccoliga in our first try, with a barely ok squad, so I thought the difficult times were over, with a promotion to the top level and the "generous" (for our standards) bonuses and TV deals.

Apparently I was wrong... The day after the end of the season the board informed they were building a new stadium, a 5.5k one so not a huge improvement, for the hefty sum of 7M... That means we have to repay the loan with 50k monthly installments.

I'm livid... Four years of hard work and now instead of trying to establish the club at the highest level we're drowning in debt again...

600k (50*12 months) is the yearly wage of THIRTY top players at the moment... How can the board be so stupid and inconsiderate?!

Is there a way to stop them from wasting 20 years worth of budget to build a slightly bigger stadium?

You say they are wasting 20 years worth of budget. Is that including the extra gate receipts from having a stadium that is 80% larger, the potential of gaining bigger sponsorship deals and the increased reputation which allows you to attract better players who in turn help you generate more income?

Not saying that it is not a very risky and potentially disastrous move from your board, but at the same time they seem to be ambitious enough to want to move forwards. Perhaps they are thinking long term- securing income for times long after you are gone ;)

The news item didn't say a thing about meeting league standard, but it could be a hidden piece of code.

Anyway, while I appreciate the board's ambition, I maintain it's too early... for all they know we could get relegated immediately, ending up with a monstruous debt and insufficient income to pay it back. [a more likely scenario with an AI manager in charge ;)]

The whole thing make me think we'd use a "rent a stadium" feature from FM13 onwards... After all many clubs do play in a different stadium when their original one is unavailable or doesn't meet the competition standards.

The whole thing make me think we'd use a "rent a stadium" feature from FM13 onwards... After all many clubs do play in a different stadium when their original one is unavailable or doesn't meet the competition standards.

I think this would definitely be the ideal solution to this. I don't think I've seen it suggested before either.

Don't panic. You won't go bankrupt and the stadium will bring in a ton of money for you with a sponsorship deal as well as better takings when done. You might have a wage squeeze for a couple of years, but so long as you're spending within your budget your board will pump in enough to keep you afloat.

Anyway, while I appreciate the board's ambition, I maintain it's too early... for all they know we could get relegated immediately, ending up with a monstruous debt and insufficient income to pay it back. [a more likely scenario with an AI manager in charge ;)]

I got relegated in this situation - but bounced straight up.

Archived