How to make a club self-sustainable?

Increasing revenue and decreasing spending.

I play as Liverpool and after 5 years the majority of my team are players I bought young (15 to 17) and develop them in the youth team. I do not spend much on transfers and my net transfer spend is usually in the negative. I spend a lot of money on hiring good scouts and coaches, linking up with teams which give me financial benefits (US and Japanese teams usually). I currently have a transfer budjet of £200m in 2017

I always try to keep wages down.. often say no to better, but more expensive players and keep younger, cheaper players instead.. do that for a couple of years and keeps improving facilities.. soon enough you'll sh*t money

-Low total salary (I usually have 15-18 first team players, with 7-10 youth players making less than £1M in my registered 25)

--Sell/loan players you aren't using. If loaning, try to get the receiving team to 1) pay you 2) pay the players wages

-The lower the Net Transfer Spend, the better

--Sell more than you buy, value wise. Sell a player for £10M, find his replacement for less than that. Or better yet, recruit from within.

--Set your asking price high and decrease it slowly to receive as much as possible. I always try to portion in out so that I have money coming in monthly. I sold Alex Song to Barcelona for £24M over 24 months and Pedro to Man City for £35M over 30 months. Doesn't really make a difference when the money comes in, but during the two years of those payments, my monthly loss was around £1M instead of £4.5M. It just looks nicer.

-Next transfer clauses

--Always % of next transfer rather than % of profit of next transfer. If you're selling a top player for £20M, you won't make much money from the % of profit of next transfer, as the profit on that will be slim. But if he transfers in the future for £15M, you'll still receive whatever %.

--I rarely go below 25% of next fee, always start at 50%

--Nice to receive money on a player that you haven't had for years. This is especially nice if you sell a younger player for £1-2M and then he blossoms and gets bought for £15-20M

---I just sold my young homegrown back up for £2.5M with a 50% next transfer fee and a £7.5M buy back price. So, if I buy him back, I'll actually spending £3.25M (£0.75M if you subtract what was paid me for him), since half of the transfer will come back to me. It's win-win-win for me. 1) I don't have a talented goalie complaining about playing time 2) My goalie of the future is getting 1st team action at a Champions League club (Benfica) 3) If he continues to progress, I'll have my future goalie at a cut rate. 4) If someone else buys him before I want him back, I get 50% of that transfer, which could potentially be more than £7.5M.

-Win often, especially the big tournaments (EPL, CL)

--Prize money

--Rep increase --> Sponsorship value increase

---I just sold my young homegrown back up for £2.5M with a 50% next transfer fee and a £7.5M buy back price. So, if I buy him back, I'll actually spending £3.25M (£0.75M if you subtract what was paid me for him), since half of the transfer will come back to me. It's win-win-win for me. 1) I don't have a talented goalie complaining about playing time 2) My goalie of the future is getting 1st team action at a Champions League club (Benfica) 3) If he continues to progress, I'll have my future goalie at a cut rate. 4) If someone else buys him before I want him back, I get 50% of that transfer, which could potentially be more than £7.5M.

I'm not so sure that you get the 50% next transfer fee when you are the one buying him. At least in FM11 it didn't work like that to me.

I'm not so sure that you get the 50% next transfer fee when you are the one buying him. At least in FM11 it didn't work like that to me.

I haven't done it in FM12 yet, but I did do it in FM11. Is it possible your board had negotiated to buy the clause and you did?

Once I get to the next transfer window, I'll test it out.

Archived