Asking price for AI transfer listed players - Meaningless?

I know this has most likely been posted hundreds of times before, but some searching didn't give me the answer. I made an offer for a transfer listed player, Ross Barkley of Everton, above his asking price set at £11,750,000 (Which itself was over double his 'value'). Now for a player of this ability, my offer of £13,000,000 was already pushing it, though I may have gone up to 15.

e4nv3.jpg

My offer was rejected, and they said they would settle for £31.5 million instead. :eek:

Z2l4P.jpg

Now I know the value of a player means next to nothing, and that teams always want several times more. But why set an asking price for a transfer listed player if they are only prepared to accept almost triple that amount? I thought this issue only affected non-listed players...

It seems they're completely ignoring his transfer request, because no team would pay that much for this player. It's over double what I payed for the transfer listed Mesut Özil which I got in the summer transfer window of the same season, and he's twice the player that Barkley is. His transfer was by request too.

Its not a bug!

Why did you offer £13m to start with?

Seriously have none of you ever bought anything in your life, my first offer would have been around £5m then negotiation before agreeing a final price of around £12m.

I neglected to mention that my initial offer of £9,500,000 was rejected outright, without any attempt on Everton's behalf to negotiate. Only then did I decide to offer the asking price, which was also rejected. The £13,000,000 offer was the first that was negotiated.

Also, I was not insinuating that this is a bug. I was posting to find out if there is any underlying reason why they want £31 million even though he's clearly transfer listed with an asking price of £11,750,000. Logic dictates that they want £11,750,000 for the player and that should be the point from which they negotiate, otherwise why have an asking price?

My initial thought was that they regard him as a first team player and that even though he's transfer listed, it was only by request and so they still don't want him to leave for any reasonable price. But then again it was the same case with Özil and Real Madrid didn't ask for triple his asking price...

I've never had this issue. Now, it may be a bug that Barcelona put both Busquets and Pedro on the transfer-list, but I was able to get them for their asking prices £15M and £12.5M respectively.

I've seen that happened, but I've also had offers accepted for below the AI's asking price. I remember on a past seave have an offer of about 10 million accepted for Tevez when city had their asking price set to around 90 million. He never came close to agreeing to terms with me though.

It's an issue with 'Transfer listed by request'. Not really a bug, as the club doesn't want to sell the player, the player just wants to move. So it will still take stupid money for them to sell. You should notice nearly all 'Transfer listed by request' asking prices are at least double their value.

Consider the asking price a minimum opening bidding price

'Transfer Listed' asking prices work fine and in some cases can be negotiated down. Your offer should nearly always be accepted when matching the asking price, some circumstances can influence this, eg. Rival

just keep on putting bids in, of around 12 mill. as you get closer to the end of the transfer window, the selling club may be more willing to accept your offer.

i just think if it as the player putting in a transfer request and the team reluctantly slapping a price tag on them. it doesn't mean they will sell for that. certainly, not in the same way is if the club transfer listed the player against the players wishes.

i see it as the selling club trying their luck. dont cave in and hopefully they will be more reasonable come the last few days of the window.

this tactic has worked for me in the past. player worth 10mill. i wont budge from about 15mill but they want 27mill. every time they renegotiate to 27, i slap it down to 15.

Its not a bug!

Why did you offer £13m to start with?

Seriously have none of you ever bought anything in your life, my first offer would have been around £5m then negotiation before agreeing a final price of around £12m.

Of course it is a bug. If the club list an acceptible price of £11.75m and someone bids more than that (for whatever stupid reason) then it should be accepted. Obviously you should start lower, but once a club declares an acceptible value anything in excess of this should be accepted. Its a bug, let's move on.

what did his scout report say is price range was?

I'm not sure, the scout report will have been out of date at that point as I don't think he was transfer listed when he was scouted.

No the price is what the game values the player at just by attributes, contract and reputation, the value of the player to the club is very different.

I'm talking about asking price, not value. The 'value' is a game estimation of how much a player is worth which is what you were talking about. The asking price is set by the club itself, as a guideline for how much other teams will have to offer to be accepted (For the majority of players, this is not set).

In this instance, the value is £5,500,000 and the Asking Price is £11,750,000.

I thought ask price (by definition) was the price clubs accept for the player. If that is not what it is, then it seems kind of pointless.
The definition of ask price is "the price a seller states she or he will accept for a good.", and if the seller does not accept his own ask price in the game then I have a hard time making sense of it

Yep :thup: it's literally that simple. The team is asking for a price. I'm offering them the price they asked (And then some). They want ~3x what they initially asked for. The asking price should be £31,500,000 not £11,750,000.

Of course it is a bug. If the club list an acceptible price of £11.75m and someone bids more than that (for whatever stupid reason) then it should be accepted. Obviously you should start lower, but once a club declares an acceptible value anything in excess of this should be accepted. Its a bug, let's move on.

I guess it doesn't matter as it's not going to get fixed in FM 2012. I've politely declined Everton's negotiated price :D

So you are saying that when you set an asking price for one of your top players to 15M (which is normally set to try and discourage potential buyers), and a rich club will come and make you an offer of that amount, you do not try and get more for the player, you just sell him for your asking price? Even if you fail to get more than 15M, at least nothing wrong with trying.

And the AI works the same way, especially if there are more clubs interested in his services. Keep on trying to offer 11,750K and they will budge, if there is no other offers from other clubs on the table.

So you are saying that when you set an asking price for one of your top players to 15M (which is normally set to try and discourage potential buyers), and a rich club will come and make you an offer of that amount, you do not try and get more for the player, you just sell him for your asking price? Even if you fail to get more than 15M, at least nothing wrong with trying.

Of course; when a team offers me an amount for one of my players that I want to keep, I negotiate hard (Usually ends up in talks breaking down, but nothing to lose really as I wanted to keep them anyway). But when I transfer list my player, I set the asking price that I want to sell him at. The AI set the asking price and then thought "You know what? I think we can milk another £20 million out of him actually".

The one thing i would say is he is transfer listed by request, so club dont technically want to lose him which is why they will be playing hard ball, but i agree its daft having a selling price on there if they dont accept it or anything close too it.

Seen this posted a few times in my opinion it should not happen. Even though the player is requesting a transfer it is down to the club to set the price they would sell him at, if they put him on the transfer list at £15 million than that should be how much they would accept. If they want £20 million then they should be listing the player at £20 million, simple.

Had this sort of thing happen with a 5-star Brazilian newgen defender. Valued at $700,000 and transfer listed at $1.4million due to unhappiness with his playing time. Came in at $700k, rejected. $1.0million, rejected. $1.4million, rejected. I then raised by bid one notch with each subsequent offer before stopping at $2.1million. All offers were rejected with no counter ever made...and the asking price never changed. Pretty sure that in real life the player would have been ticked off as he wanted to sign for me and the team's price had been met.

This simple:

Player wants to move, club wants to keep.

Player worth say £5m (based on ability, rep. etc.)

Club wants £30m.

Club will accept £20m.

Price tag placed on player of £15m.

Note this IS negotiable, it's not Tesco, it's an auction.

Buying club makes an offer of between £5m and £15m based on market variables/forces (length of contract, amount of clubs interested, whatever).

We negotiate.

This simple:

Player wants to move, club wants to keep.

Player worth say £5m (based on ability, rep. etc.)

Club wants £30m.

Club will accept £20m.

Price tag placed on player of £15m.

That's not logical at all. The "asking price" is the amount the club have made publically known that they will sell the player for...therefore in this example the price tag they metaphorically hang round his neck would read £30m.

This is simply a programming error whereby a player transfer listed by request is automatically listed at double his value, regardless of what the club's actual "asking price" is.

The system does seem flawed. Not sure if its a bug tho.

Quite often I offer a player to clubs (when there is a few listed as interested) and they will make an offer which i will then negotiate. They will pull out. Ill then offer again and theyll offer more than what I literally just asked for. Seems bizarre!

In previous times where ive used Genie scout thats not always even been totally accurate. A Club will still try negotiate a better deal at times. Annoyingly!

Never had a problem. I've always offered the value the club has asked for and have had it accepted. I've seen players who have been transfer-listed by request been put up for silly money, but I just guess the club don't really want to sell him so put up the asking price. This must be a bug.

Archived