Struggling to sell players

This is a relatively new problem for me but at the moment even if other teams want my players and i offer them out they will not offer what im proposing. I have a player who is valued at 5.5m, i offered him out at as low as 1.5m and all i get is 'so and so will not make an offer while while the asking price remains high' or whatever it says. However I if want to buy players from other teams you can garuntee that i will have to pay the value price or the asking price to get my man. Why does this not apply to computer teams buying my players? I need to offload a couple of people before i can get the people i want in.

Its basic economics, supply & demand. If there is a lot of demand for the player the price goes up, no interest reduces the prices. On top of this you need to learn to negotiate when both buying & selling to achieve the best prices. When you sell start high (above what you want) this allows you to drop your price and get a good deal while when you buy start low increasing your bid.

That said other things also affect the final price and you need to be able to identify them:

A) Does the player have a high rep compared to his attributes? If a player thinks he is better than he is he will be difficult to get rid of. This can be a common issue at bigger clubs as the player doesn't want to move to a smaller club but doesn't have the skills to go to a big club so he'll often sit in limbo until his contract runs out.

B) Does the player have high wages compared to his attributes? Often goes hand in hand with A, other clubs don't want to pay the wages he wants as he isn't worth it so again difficult to get rid of.

C) How much money do the other team have? Again an issue if trying to offload a player the other club may simply struggle to afford the price you are asking but if you are buying you may be able to squeeze them and get the player cheaper than you expect.

D) First team football - Its far easier to sell a player who is playing regularly and really difficult to sell a player who never plays.

E) Squad - A team might be interested in your DL but if they already have 3*DLs its unlikely they'll make a bid. Teams also have targets so an AI team might be interested in your player but they are also looking at several other players, why should they buy your player over one at another club? The ones at other clubs might be cheaper, better, or asking for lower wages.

F) Be proactive - Transfer list players you want to sell, set a high asking price and offer them out. If you don't get offers then you tend to have one of the issues above.

he is only about 14k a week, the teams that are interested include Newcastle who i dont think will have an issue paying that a week. The issue may be that he isnt playing much. But why should we be forced to play players we want to sell and thus clearly arent good enough for the team? In real life players who are surplus to requirements who arent getting played get sold. They dont play them game in game out just to showcase them.

It does look like the wage thing is a stumbling block for one of the teams interested because i offered him out at £0 just out of interest and they said they feel his wage demand would be too high, although i would say they have no idea unless they offer him a contract and see what he says.

he is only about 14k a week, the teams that are interested include Newcastle who i dont think will have an issue paying that a week.

Its not just can they afford it, where does 14k a week place him in the Newcastle squad - 1st teamer? rotation? backup? Then you need to look at what position does he play? what competition does he have in that position at Newcastle? Do they need him? Is he better than their current options?

Then with squad numbers now limited more importantly do they have room in the squad for him? Do they have a weakness in another area that is more important to be filled?

The issue may be that he isnt playing much. But why should we be forced to play players we want to sell and thus clearly arent good enough for the team? In real life players who are surplus to requirements who arent getting played get sold. They dont play them game in game out just to showcase them.

Your not forced to play them, I'm just pointing out that players that play are easier to sell.

In RL they don't play them but they get sold, are you sure about that? Have a look at RL transfers in the last month how many "surplus" players were sold for money? how many were simply released?

It does look like the wage thing is a stumbling block for one of the teams interested because i offered him out at £0 just out of interest and they said they feel his wage demand would be too high, although i would say they have no idea unless they offer him a contract and see what he says.

To save wasting time much like a human does the AI doesn't bother approaching players it doesn't think it has a chance of signing. If I'm looking for a ST and I can afford £20k a week I'm not going to bother trying to sign one on £50k a week, especially if he is happy & playing regularly.

The guy im trying to sell requested the transfer because he wants first team action, he wants to leave. These issues of whether the team have space in their squad etc. makes perfect sense but then why are they saying they want him? If they dont have the space then as much as they may admire the player they arent going to declare their interest publicly. They want him, he wants to go but they are not willing to pay a fraction of his value. That to me doesnt make any sense.

Yeah the transfer side of FM is flawed and something that needs some attention for the next version of the game. They never fix it as its been an issue for the last 3/4 editions of the series. Its workable as is but not enjoyable at all. One of the fun things of FM is buying and selling players but when it is coded to work the way it does it takes away the fun. Needs some TLC for the next instalment IMHO!

Agreed. Just because a player is deadwood to you, doesn't mean that every single other club on the face of the earth should view him as deadwood too! FAR too tough to sell players on FM in comparison to real life. If you tell a player he's no longer needed, his agent has a duty to find him a new club in the next transfer window. That's how real life works, but it's not how FM often works.

I've said on here before the agents in FM do absolutely nothing in terms of touting players about to find a new club for them and selling players is a problem. Look at the amount of fringe players that have taken pay cuts to leave man utd to go to a 'lesser club' in order to play first team football IRL. Rarely happens on FM in my own experience.

Are you offering out over monthly payments.? I've had no problems when doing this.

You do get the odd player that is not good enough at your level, but too high rep and high wages for teams that would want him, therefore no interest.

Joe Backup will gladly rot in the reserves at a good club rather than accepting a move down the ladder and becoming a key player. That's a pretty silly dynamic and it's way too common.

For the same reputation issue, AI clubs with lower reputation won't even make an offer for Joe Backup because they know the player will snub them regardless of how much of a career improvement the move would be for him.

It's a lose-lose situation, all caused by a rigid (and frankly outdated) system.

Being the 5th choice at Aston Villa shouldn't be more desirable than being a starter for Burnley, no matter how more prestige the bigger club has. It's a matter of ROLE, not of mere presence.

In a way, a club's reputation should be recalculated depending on the specific contract/squad status... A backup role at a 7000 rep club is no better than a key role at a 5000 rep club

• 1 month later...
Also now this player is even more annoyed with me because i promised to let him go in the next transfer window but i just couldnt offload him. So now i have a very unhappy player which isnt good for the dressing room.

Just wait until their mental goes abysmal and suddenly ask for a release. I've got Kaladze and Merkel asked for a release almost at the same time in my Genoa team. And still have 4 guys think I'm a liar for not able to find them new club whilst no one answer my offer-to-club action. :lol:

Agreed. Just because a player is deadwood to you, doesn't mean that every single other club on the face of the earth should view him as deadwood too! FAR too tough to sell players on FM in comparison to real life. If you tell a player he's no longer needed, his agent has a duty to find him a new club in the next transfer window. That's how real life works, but it's not how FM often works.

Absolutely right. Selling players is a crock!

Over the years I have become so accustomed to the time consuming (& almost impossible) nature of selling unwanted players that, unless I desperately need to release some wage roll budget, I generally transfer list them at their true value, then put them in the reserves with an "accept any offer" at a ridiculously low price (frequently zero). They nearly always stay there till their contracts run out.

Needs fixing!

Archived