Aaron McGuire - The Salford born Scot!

Hi everyone,

Just a little story I'd like to share regarding a regen in my game called Aaron McGuire.

Born in Salford, England (but half Scottish), this central defender was in the Manchester United academy but released at 18, not playing a game for United. He was snapped by by League 2 Port Vale, then spent a short stint on loan at Notts County.

He then moved to Chesterfield in the Championship and had 2 personally decent seasons. At this stage he was a starter for the England U21's and had made nearly 20 appearances for them.

He then earned a £1m move to QPR also in the Championship where he become a key player for them. He was also installed as the England u21's captain, in a side coached by Steve Bruce. He spent 5 seasons with the R's before he made a modest money move to Leicester in the Premiership for £9m.

During his time with QPR he was given a full Scotland cap. Turning his back on England, the country he had captained at u19's and u21's level. He made his debut against Russia, then on his 24th birthday, just a month later England played Scotland in a Euro game. The Scots win 1-0, with a goal, six minutes from time from you guessed it................. Aaron McGuire. It dumped England out and Scotland progressed.

It cost Simon Grayson his England job, and probably gave Ally McCosit, the Scotland manager, the stepping stone to accept a job offer from Roma in the same summer.

Sorry, I rambled a bit there! Just thought it was a kind of cool story, one I thought I should share. Anybody else got an interesting story where fate maybe plays a part!?

this is why the game succeeds where other management games fail miserably .... FM can be seen as just a bunch of spreadsheets, but frankly...each player has a story like this and it brings the game to life ...

love it

this..... I love to get lost in spreadsheets and numbers, aslong as i can pretend there something else.

Archived