Starting a game as England or Scotland Manager

I usually like to start at a small club and work my way up to eventually be a manager of a big team (because of this my games last a lot of seasons), but i'm thinking as starting as either manager of England or Scotland. If i am the manager of england would I ever be considered to be the scotland manager (or vice visa) seeing as they are big rivals?

How would this effect a long term game? Would I get bored after a few seasons after starting at the top?

I like to keep my games realistic so thats why I start at a small club, however if I started as the england manager I could pretend I won the euromillions and the UK economy collapsed and I offered them a lot of money to help keep the country running in exchange for the job lol

I'm still playing FM2010 because I prefer it to 11 & 12 if this makes any difference

I don't know if that'll be a problem or not, I play as a Scottish manager and in one save where I took Elgin from the 3rd division to Champions League glory I then took the USA job before moving to the Spanish leagues, gave up the US job then was offered the England job so they didn't mind I was a Scottish manager. I would imagine if you are successful enough with one nation the other would probably hire you if you applied for the job.

not sure mate.

You could set your nationally as English at the start and then take Scotland game or vice versa. Later on in the game when you apply for England job they might take you as you are English regardless of whether you were Scotland manager. They should take you anyway as long as you have a good cv.

I have my second nationally set to scotish anyway due to a scottish grandmother, anyway this will be my last long term game on FM2010 (unless I don't enjoy FM13 as much as I do this game!)

Little bit off topic, but just wanted to share a story about a save where I managed both!

After a successful club career and a manager nearing his retirement, I took the England job and failed miserably at a World Cup losing 2 group games, (against Egypt 3-1 and Ivory Coast (2-0), before mustering a point vs Sweden (0-0).

I was rightly sacked, I scrapped through qualifying, and was awful in the tournament! But I thought; I can't retire my manager in that fashion, so I wanted one last crack at international football, and was offered that chance by believe it or not.... Scotland.

I took Scotland to the Euros 2 years later, getting to the quarters and then qualified them for the next World Cup, beating England in a playoff to get there! At the World Cup I took the Scots out the group before being beat by the hosts Brazil in the quarter finals thanks to 2 very late goals.

It's strange, I feel that was much more of a success on the game, then it would have been taking England to World Cup glory.

Archived