Most painful way to lose the title?

I went into the last game with the table looking like this only needing to beat a weak Le Mans side to win the title and give my fans a treble.

I drew 2-2 with Le Mans and Lyon won the title after they won their game. Guess how Le Mans scored their 2 goals? 2 own goals. And lets not forget the dramatic 92nd minute shot hitting the bar for me.

Anyone want to make me feel better by telling me they lost 10-0 on the last day to lose out on the title?

On FM11, last day I needed to beat Tottenham and hope Arsenal don't win to win the league. 93rd minute, I take the lead against Spurs, with Arsenal being held 2-2 by Portsmouth. End of the game, went to congratulate my players in the team talk, only to find that it only the general team talks were available.

Looked at the latest scores, to find Arsenal had scored a penalty in the 94th minute. In the words of Sir Walter, "balls."

In my France game playing as La Vitréenne I missed out on GD in the 2028/29 season, to... Monaco. They're absolute beasts in my game (won the CL last season). On the last day though we were level on points but Monaco had a better GD which I wasn't going to make up so I had to better their result. They had a tricky fixture at PSG and I was at Bordeaux, I was keeping an eye on their score during the match. Going into the last few minutes we were at 1-1 but Monaco were winning 2-1 so I went all out attack only to concede a penalty in the 94th minute to lose 2-1. It was only after the match that I realised PSG had turned it round and won 3-2 meaning if we had held on to the draw we would have been champions. Not too worried as I have won the league every season since and the CL twice. :)

Wasn't the title, but in FM2008, I was knocked out of the Champions League by one of the lesser Spanish sides Valencia, Sevilla, or Villareal (I don't remember which one).

We drew the away leg 2-2 in Spain, a solid result, 2 away goals.

In the second leg, back at the Emirates, I was doing well, dominating possession and leading 2-0. (4-2 aggregate, 2-0 away goals)

They counter, 2-1 in the game, (4-3 aggregate, 2-1 away goals)

They score 2-2 in the game, (4-4 aggregate, 2-2 away goals).

Final ten minutes I'm searching for the winning goal, Kolo Toure has the ball around midfield, his defensive partners about level with him.

The rest of the squad are making their forward runs.

Under no pressure and with the field in front of him, Toure passes back the Lehmann rather than continuing forward.

Keep in mind, this was before the 3D engine, so I'm sitting here watching my #5 dot pass the ball back. I watch the ball roll toward my #1 dot. The #1 dot approaches the ball and looks to control it. But wait, he misplayed it and ball keeps going straight into the net!

2-3 in the game, (4-5 aggregate, 2-3 away goals).

I reply instantly to level the game at 3-3. And the aggregate is level 5-5. But the Spaniards have the away goal advantage, 3 goals to my 2. And so the game ended and I got knocked out.

I was furious. I sold Kolo Toure immediately. I couldn't find a buyer for Lehmann, so I terminated his contract after the season.

The only time I didn't win Serie A the last 25 seasons or so, when Inter ended with 99 points, and (my) Juventus side ended with 97. Both sides must have gone about 20, 25 games undefeated to end the season, the difference were the head-to-head games which WAS PLAYED in freaking February or March. So the entire undefeated run from around mid February meant NOTHING. ZERO. We just gave them a good chase is all. A run for their money. Considering my team were defending champs (14 or 15 league titles straight) and no one on Inter had ever won the Serie A I was hoping they would trip up, but they just wanted it more that year.

Any one ever seen more than 99 points from an AI team (in a 38 game season)???

The only time I didn't win Serie A the last 25 seasons or so, when Inter ended with 99 points, and (my) Juventus side ended with 97. Both sides must have gone about 20, 25 games undefeated to end the season, the difference were the head-to-head games which WAS PLAYED in freaking February or March. So the entire undefeated run from around mid February meant NOTHING. ZERO. We just gave them a good chase is all. A run for their money. Considering my team were defending champs (14 or 15 league titles straight) and no one on Inter had ever won the Serie A I was hoping they would trip up, but they just wanted it more that year.

Yep. My long term save goes against the "AI can't build squads" feelings on this forum - in 2019 I think it was Arsenal got 102 points (Man United got 90something too)

in La Liga it very common to see Real Madrid and/or Barca do seasons with somewhere between 90-104 points

most annoying for me was probably a resent season I did on my Athletic save, it was all well and good in the final game of the season vs Sporting I conceded an early own goal, but did after that work my way back into the match scoring in the 20th min, and then in the 64th moved ahead after scoring a pen.....this result would have won me the league if I had managed to hold onto it....but that was ofcorse not going to be the case, I got undone by a 90th min corner goal

I once lost the title on the last day of the season due to a retiring club legend missing a late game penalty. That hurt.

Yep. My long term save goes against the "AI can't build squads" feelings on this forum - in 2019 I think it was Arsenal got 102 points (Man United got 90something too)

Not to get too off-topic, but that's actually a symptom of the problem. The larger, wealthier teams like City, United and Barca aren't that bad, because they just buy players with extremely high PAs who turn into all-around super-players who can thrive in any tactic. A player is still better at finding all-around super-players who are slightly better for his system, obviously, but when an AI club is buying PA 180-200 players each season, they don't have to worry about whether those players will be a fit for the squad. Outside the top clubs in the top leagues, however, everything quickly degrades. This allows the big AI clubs to become increasingly dominant and amass these huge point totals and goal differentials. This keeps things competitive in the most general sense, but it still means that 80% of your league games each season won't offer any challenge whatsoever.

And when you're playing in the lower leagues or outside the Premier League or la Liga, everything is just a mess... which makes the Europa League and Champions League very uncompetitive as well since you don't see Portuguese and Russian clubs, for example, fielding decent squads.

Archived